This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best PC games playable on a retina MacBook Pro (13'')

#1ThamauturgePosted 7/27/2014 10:22:50 AM
Note: not limited to Mac editions, as I have a Windows 7, 64 bit partition on it.

My list of Steam games:

Alan Wake
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Counter Strike: Source
Crusader Kings II
Dota 2
Empire: Total War
Garry's Mod
Half Life
Half Life 2 (+Deathmatch, Source, Blue Shift, Lost Coast, Opposing Force)
Just Cause
Max Payne 2
Medieval II Total War
Napoleon Total War
The Political Machine 2012
Portal
Rome Total War
Civilization V
Star Wars Battlefront II, KOTOR, KOTOR 2
Stronghold (1, 2, Crusader, Crusader Extreme, Legends)
Team Fortress Classic and TF2
Terraria
Thomas Was Alone

What are some awesome ones that I'm missing? I know it isn't a "gaming PC" (that isn't why I bought it), but its still worlds stronger than every other laptop I've ever owned.
---
Favorite games: FFXII International, FF Tactics WOTL, Super Smash Bros Melee, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Silent Hill 2
PSN: Thamauturge
#2dementedlullabyPosted 7/27/2014 10:24:43 AM(edited)
With the number of PC games available this is not an easy recommendation to make. Is there a specific genre you are currently more into than others? Do you mind playing older games?
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#3Thamauturge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2014 10:35:02 AM(edited)
dementedlullaby posted...
With the number of PC games available this is not an easy recommendation to make. Is there a specific genre you are currently more into than others? Do you mind playing older games?

I love older games. "Older" is sort of a relative term though. I play plenty of games from the early 2000s, but not much from before that.

As for genres, not much of a first person shooter fan (I only own all of those Valve shooters because of Garry's Mod). I like RTS games, Turn based Strategy games, action adventure games, horror games, and pretty much any RPG.

Some games that sounds interesting to me are Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, as well as the Mount and Blade games.

Also, the only game on my Steam account that I've put a MASSIVE amount of hours into is Stronghold Crusader. I LOVE that game haha. I believe its sort of an Age of Empires ripoff though. Since I am interested in ancient mythology, I have always wanted to play Age of Mythology. Would that run? I imagine it would, since it came out over a decade ago, but I'm not sure how much the enhanced edition that just came out upped the spec requirements.
---
Favorite games: FFXII International, FF Tactics WOTL, Super Smash Bros Melee, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Silent Hill 2
#4DragnfyrPosted 7/27/2014 10:55:17 AM
The Intel Iris graphics in the 13" MacBook Pro should run almost every PC game at 1280x800 resolution. Some newer demanding games like BF4 will run on low but most other games should run at medium-high
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#5Thamauturge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2014 7:59:16 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
The Intel Iris graphics in the 13" MacBook Pro should run almost every PC game at 1280x800 resolution. Some newer demanding games like BF4 will run on low but most other games should run at medium-high

This is actually pretty nice to hear. I don't care about resolution that much, but if the frame rate is horrid then I don't know if I'd even want to buy it though.
---
#6fallenswordsPosted 7/27/2014 10:55:58 PM(edited)
X COM: enemy unknown.

It's an srpg without any of the stupid bulls*** that usually comes with the genre. It's a nice challenge and very playable in long binges or in quick spurts.

Also: obligatory EVE: Online recomendation.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#7ShubPosted 7/28/2014 7:05:19 AM
Check out the catalog of older games on www.gog.com.

Also:
FTL (buy it from http://www.ftlgame.com/ -- you get a Steam key and the devs get a bigger cut of the sale)
Desktop Dungeons
Knights of Dragon Pass
Spelunky
Dungeons of Dredmor
Heroes of Might & Magic 3

If you like RPGs, check out some classics on GOG such as Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Fallout 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, Arcanum, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima VII, System Shock 2, Deus Ex: GOTY, Darklands...

For turn-based strategy, you may also like Jagged Alliance 2 or even Shadowrun Returns
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 7/28/2014 7:07:52 AM
Mount & Blade Warband
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence