This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you recommend gaming laptops?

#112Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/27/2014 2:16:24 PM
Psythik posted...
zerooo0 posted...
If you are in College yes I would recommend it greatly.
Unless college classrooms have an outlet at every seat, getting a gaming laptop for college is the dumbest idea ever.

This is half the reason I never used my laptop for notes. The other half was that you can't draw diagrams well on a traditional laptop so it really depends also on what a person needs for specific classes
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#12AsucaHayashiPosted 7/27/2014 2:25:47 PM
absolutely if you already have more than enough disposable income some of which has already been spent on a top of the line computer... or 3.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#13Mudkip57Posted 7/27/2014 2:44:31 PM
Depends on the class you . I can still write math equation and formulas pretty well with One Note, albeit slower than if I just wrote it with pen and paper. But for most of my senior level classes, I have my laptop open with a pen in hand to copy any examples written.

Psythik posted...
Unless college classrooms have an outlet at every seat

They're pretty common, at least at my university. The lecture halls will have one pretty much at every seat, or within close proximity to one. The regular classrooms have them spaced around on the floors. It's in the smaller older classrooms that are a bit problematic. They're only going to be near the walls, but if you show up early enough then it's no big deal
#14PikminArmyPosted 7/27/2014 3:35:33 PM
Psythik posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Unless college classrooms have an outlet at every seat, getting a gaming laptop for college is the dumbest idea ever.

Presumably they're not using it to game in class. The battery life of a gaming laptop can be really solid when you're not using it to game.

During gaming, yeah, you're going to want to have it plugged in.
#15KaiserWarriorPosted 7/27/2014 3:40:44 PM
No. Gaming laptops are always compromised in one of two ways:

1) Less powerful than the money you paid would have given you in desktop components.

2) Tries to stuff powerful components into a small space with awful thermals, has heat problems.

Usually both.
#16PsythikPosted 7/27/2014 4:06:58 PM
PikminArmy posted...
Psythik posted...
zerooo0 posted...
The battery life of a gaming laptop can be really solid when you're not using it to game
I wouldn't exactly call 1 to 2 hours "solid".
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#17drinkPosted 7/27/2014 4:54:51 PM
Depend on your life style.
If a gaming laptop will suit you, then yes. If not, then no.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#18MarceloSampaioPosted 7/27/2014 5:03:45 PM
Nah, not in a million years. Gaming laptops are expensive, overheats easily and have a very low battery life.

Get a tablet if you want to play games while on the road.

And a good gaming PC for when you are at home. ^^
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#19Death_BornPosted 7/27/2014 5:17:56 PM
Gaming laptops are only useful if you need travel around a lot with your games, if you are just staying in one place then a desktop is a far better option.
#20PikminArmyPosted 7/27/2014 5:36:51 PM
Psythik posted...
PikminArmy posted...
Psythik posted...
zerooo0 posted...
The battery life of a gaming laptop can be really solid when you're not using it to game
I wouldn't exactly call 1 to 2 hours "solid".

Mine lasts about 4 hours when I'm not gaming.