This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you recommend gaming laptops?

#21dementedlullabyPosted 7/27/2014 6:07:13 PM
If I want to play a game on the go I have so many handhelds to choose from. Which, quite frankly, are far easier to lug around than a laptop. Especially a gaming laptop where I have to worry about battery life etcetc.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#22ClouddxPosted 7/27/2014 6:08:43 PM
PikminArmy posted...
Psythik posted...
PikminArmy posted...
Psythik posted...
zerooo0 posted...
If you are in College yes I would recommend it greatly.
Unless college classrooms have an outlet at every seat, getting a gaming laptop for college is the dumbest idea ever.
The battery life of a gaming laptop can be really solid when you're not using it to game
I wouldn't exactly call 1 to 2 hours "solid".

Mine lasts about 4 hours when I'm not gaming.

IDK what kind of laptop you're using that has 4h of battery life... My netbook get about 4h when not gaming, and it's extremely low powered. Any laptop with a dedicated graphics card won't last nearly as long.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#23cancerstormPosted 7/27/2014 6:15:10 PM
if you travel a lot because of work, yes

for school and other reasons, no
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#24DawnshadowPosted 7/27/2014 6:34:29 PM
Only if you're in a situation where a desktop isn't viable. (In hotels a lot for work, in a really tiny apartment, work on a cruise ship or submarine, etc.) They're expensive, heavy for a laptop, and hard to repair, but they're also a heck of a lot more portable than a desktop (even if the battery life isn't great) and very small compared to a desktop, monitor, and accessories, so in some situations they make sense.

For college, I'd go with a gaming desktop and a mid-range laptop or even a tablet+keyboard for classes. You can still do "I'm nowhere near my dorm/apartment and I've got two hours before my next class" gaming on integrated graphics and it'll be much less worrisome to carry around, between the lesser weight and the risk of breaking it or having it stolen.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#25LordSeiferPosted 7/27/2014 6:36:01 PM
no
---
^ this
#26CardigansFanPosted 7/27/2014 6:56:34 PM(edited)
Clouddx posted...
IDK what kind of laptop you're using that has 4h of battery life... My netbook get about 4h when not gaming, and it's extremely low powered. Any laptop with a dedicated graphics card won't last nearly as long.

Could just be that your netbook doesn't have a decent battery, or isn't as efficient as you think. Plus, I think all but the very high-end gaming laptops out there have switchable graphics, meaning it uses integrated/low-power graphics when not gaming.

Honestly, just do some research and you can find a decent laptop that's a nice medium between power, portability, and battery life; my laptop can get close to 5 hours of video playback, and weighs less than 5 pounds:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Clevo-W230SS-Schenker-XMG-P304-Barebones-Notebook.113676.0.html

Which, granted, the performance is majorly reduced on battery (60% apparently), but that's still a decent amount of power left for non-gaming tasks.

Anyway, TC - unless your job puts you away from home/on the road for long periods of time, get a desktop for gaming and a cheap small laptop for portable productivity (if you even need that at all).
---
'93 Saturn SL2 * Xperia Z1 Compact * NX300
Clevo W230SS 3200x1800 | i7-4700MQ | GTX860M | 16GB RAM | 480GB mSATA
#27PikminArmyPosted 7/27/2014 9:17:23 PM

Sorry, then your netbook just doesn't have as good a battery as my laptop then. It lasts four hours. *shrug*
#28Mudkip57Posted 7/27/2014 10:54:58 PM(edited)
My laptop lasts about 2 hours, but it has a few dead cells. I just been too cheap to replace the battery, and well...outlets are everywhere. Even if I don't get a spot with an outlet, the battery will last long enough to finish one lecture and I just recharge it at the next
#29Celll212Posted 7/27/2014 11:03:14 PM
Laptops and gaming don't mesh well for the price. If you are going to buy a laptop, do it for school or work related things.
---
|CM HAF 932|I7-4770k @3.5GHZ|8GB Patriot Viper 3@1600MHZ|MSI Twin Frozr 7950|Antec Quattro 850|Samsung Evo 840 120GB|
#30Skeletal_KingPosted 7/27/2014 11:45:53 PM
"Gaming laptop" is an oxymoron.
---
http://backloggery.com/kodan882 <- Anything I'm currently playing