This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Either of the Next Gen Consoles Worth It?

#31SythisTaruPosted 7/27/2014 7:30:19 PM
Clouddx posted...
Panner posted...
Clouddx posted...
ShadowThaReaper posted...
The only thing that has games is the Wii U. Xbone and PS4 have no games. PS4 is especially barren.

Psythik posted...
The Wii U is not a next gen console. Nintendo has been behind a gen since the Wii, which was essentially a redesigned GameCube with motion controls. The fact that GameCube emulators can run Wii games is proof of this. And if you still don't believe me, compare specs. As for the Wii U, all it takes is for someone to play one for five minutes to realize how dated it is.

That's not how generations work, genius.

To be fair, when people say next gen they think of improved graphics...

And the WiiU does have improved graphics over the Wii.

Not even close to the improvement of PS4/Xbone over the PS3/X360 and I don't think one person would say that the Wii U has "next gen" graphics.

Wait what? The Wii U had a bigger graphics jump over it's previous console (the Wii) than either Xbox One or Ps4 has over their previous consoles.
#32THOMASNATORPosted 7/27/2014 7:32:35 PM
Xbone is an underpowered POS, and PS4 is hurr durr faycebooooook bcuase thats where tHE COOL GAMERS ARE *HACK COUGH WHEEZE*. If you went PC this gen, you went the right way.
---
To innovate is good, to stand and innovate is better.
A8-6600K | NVIDIA GTX TITAN | 2x Seagate 500GB | 1x Seagate 2TB | Corsair 850
#33jedinatPosted 7/27/2014 7:33:21 PM
Clouddx posted...
Again that's not even close to the jump b/t PS4/X1 and PS3/360.

I'm not feeling that either... whatever the percentage difference in raw power might be, the jump from ps2 to ps3 was a lot more meaningful than the one from ps3 to ps4... I don't see how it could be considered otherwise.
#34triple sPosted 7/27/2014 7:38:33 PM
Strongly depends on what games you want. I'm a HUGE Halo fan, so Master Chief Collection was enough for me to go Xbox One over PS4 for the time being. If you like Sony exclusives, PS4 is also a stronger console and probably is more bang for you buck on the two. I'm having a ton of fun with the Wii U I just bought as it is serving it's purpose: being a great party console.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#35ClouddxPosted 7/27/2014 7:40:20 PM
jedinat posted...
Clouddx posted...
Again that's not even close to the jump b/t PS4/X1 and PS3/360.

I'm not feeling that either... whatever the percentage difference in raw power might be, the jump from ps2 to ps3 was a lot more meaningful than the one from ps3 to ps4... I don't see how it could be considered otherwise.

Meh, you're right.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#36DawnshadowPosted 7/27/2014 7:40:21 PM
If there are games you want to play on one of the consoles, and you feel like it's worth the $400 or so (remember, using your gift card is an opportunity cost) then go for it.

(The Wii U honestly does seem to have the most interesting library right now, and the graphics are good enough. *shrug*)

If not, save your money for something you really want. Gift cards don't go bad and consoles always drop in price, so if you change your mind you can probably buy one for less later.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#37triple sPosted 7/27/2014 7:42:30 PM
Clouddx posted...
jedinat posted...
Clouddx posted...
Not even close to the improvement of PS4/Xbone over the PS3/X360.

Why do you say that? Seems like the jump from Wii to Wii U is similar to the one between PS2 and PS3...

Meh, the Wii U is on par with the graphics of the PS3/360. Again that's not even close to the jump b/t PS4/X1 and PS3/360.

You know what though, Nintendo has some fun games and the colorful artstyle makes certains look far and away better than PS3/360 games such as Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart 8 looks great and that's coming from someone who games at 2560x1440 with a 780 TI.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#38CircleOfManiasPosted 7/27/2014 8:01:34 PM
I don't know. The current gen just started, I wouldn't expect the next gen consoles to be out until 2020 or so.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#39gfrequencyPosted 7/27/2014 8:13:52 PM
You're asking this question on the PC boards. You already know the answer you'll get.
---
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
#40SakurazanPosted 7/27/2014 8:18:04 PM
As a general rule, if you feel this indecisive about it then there really isn't anything worth buying them for at the moment. I would have suggested the Wii U since it has a substantially different library from PC, unlike PS4/X1, but you already ruled that one out. Just wait a year and see if they have improved any.