This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Either of the Next Gen Consoles Worth It?

#51GoIdenAcePosted 7/27/2014 9:59:50 PM
Raikouen posted...
Psythik posted...
Raikouen posted...
Psythik posted...
Unless you care about one particular console's exclusives there is absolutely no reason to buy into this gen, considering that these consoles are literally low-end gaming PCs with a stripped-down OS & no M+KB support.

They both register K&M and allow use in the internet browsers. Some games in the future may also allow it as an input method, just as CS:GO on PS3 did.
Ooooh, the internet browser. Exciting.

The fact of the matter is that widespread KB+M support will never happen in consoles because it would piss off too many controller purists. And even if it did, you might as well just build a PC instead.

Not necessarily. The mouse adds precision, but all a keyboard adds is ease of accessing everything, yet the controllers now are more comfortable than they've ever been to press any button you'd want. Controllers offer better control over your character, and playing any FPS on console will show you that the better players use this to their advantage.

...did you seriously state FPS controls are better with a controller vs a keyboard/mouse?

boy.. i'd hit the ground running if i was you...
---
NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS3+2, XBOX360, WII+GC, WIIU and a gaming PC with a library of over 1000 games for over 15 years
I dare you to ever call me a casual gamer
#52krayziejoePosted 7/27/2014 10:00:59 PM
What if you thought of it in these terms:

I have this big ol' jar of coffee (your PC) at home. The good stuff too, not student-budget-instant. So I'm at the shops with this money to spend. Would I buy another brand of coffee (Xbox or PS), or would I get more enjoyment out of, say, a tin of hot chocolate (Wii-U) for the times I didn't feel like coffee?

Because to me, that's essentially what it is. Xbox/PS don't offer a whole lot of a different experience to what you're used to on PC, especially if you have a gamepad to use when needed. Wii-U on the other hand, chose to sacrifice graphical horsepower and stand on it's own innovations.
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#53RaikouenPosted 7/27/2014 10:01:40 PM
Character movement controls are better. It's personal preference if you'd want the precision aiming or if you're happier with being able to traverse environments easier (def not saying it's impossible with K&M, but it takes a lot more effort to pull off some things a controller can do with a twist of the thumbstick).
#54ssringoPosted 7/27/2014 10:24:52 PM
Raikouen posted...
it takes a lot more effort to pull off some things a controller can do with a twist of the thumbstick).

Such as?
---
"If all pc gamers are pirates and pc gamers are the master race, then logically . . .
Pirates = Master Race" -Piggins12
#55RaikouenPosted 7/27/2014 10:27:05 PM
ssringo posted...
Raikouen posted...
it takes a lot more effort to pull off some things a controller can do with a twist of the thumbstick).

Such as?

Such as pretty much everything that doesn't require your entire body to turn with it or to move on a 2-D plane?

Unless you'd like to argue that repeated, precise clicks on the keyboard is somehow easier than moving your thumb?
#56The_Count_FooPosted 7/27/2014 10:39:58 PM
Well bestbuy has a lot of cool stuff and so does amazon. You could get a new audio receiver for your car, get an awesome router, get a tablet, new phone, or put it towards a smart TV. The next gen consoles are really lack luster right now so I'd at least wait for the first round of price drops on the them. Hopefully by then there will be some good games out for them and they'll have some more to offer.
---
Divided by night...
#57JaghavePosted 7/27/2014 10:41:35 PM
At this very moment Wii U yes has plenty of good exclusive currently out and in the near future the PS4 or the Xbox One currently are lacking and i personally suggest waiting another year and see what the library look at that time.
---
I7-2600k OC @ 4.10GHZ | GeForce GTX 780TI | 8 GB DDR3. http://www.backloggery.com/jaghave
I fought the law and the law lost
#58Sora_AnbuPosted 7/27/2014 10:42:09 PM
Wii U is the right answer.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#59PraetorXynPosted 7/27/2014 11:17:16 PM
Raikouen posted...
Psythik posted...
Raikouen posted...
Psythik posted...
Unless you care about one particular console's exclusives there is absolutely no reason to buy into this gen, considering that these consoles are literally low-end gaming PCs with a stripped-down OS & no M+KB support.

They both register K&M and allow use in the internet browsers. Some games in the future may also allow it as an input method, just as CS:GO on PS3 did.
Ooooh, the internet browser. Exciting.

The fact of the matter is that widespread KB+M support will never happen in consoles because it would piss off too many controller purists. And even if it did, you might as well just build a PC instead.

Not necessarily. The mouse adds precision, but all a keyboard adds is ease of accessing everything, yet the controllers now are more comfortable than they've ever been to press any button you'd want. Controllers offer better control over your character, and playing any FPS on console will show you that the better players use this to their advantage.

Go watch pro level gameplay of UT99 and especially UT2k4 then come back and say that again.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#60kobalobasileusPosted 7/27/2014 11:20:48 PM
Psythik posted...
Save the money and splurge on the next Steam sale, or a new GPU if yours is starting to age.

jedinat posted...
You're acting like there's just two.

The Wii U is not a next gen console. Nintendo has been behind a gen since the Wii, which was essentially a redesigned GameCube with motion controls. The fact that GameCube emulators can run Wii games is proof of this. And if you still don't believe me, compare specs. As for the Wii U, all it takes is for someone to play one for five minutes to realize how dated it is.

*sigh*

Specs? Really? You think that makes a hardware generation?

8th Gen has 4 contenders: WiiU, PS4, XBONE, and Ouya. All of them are pretty pathetic.