This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about open headphones (Sennheiser HD 598)

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/27/2014 9:06:33 PM
I really want to upgrade my audio setup eventually. Schiit Stack + $200ish headphones. Debating between the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80ohm or the Sennheiser HD 598.

From what I've gathered:
The DT 770s are closed and sound more fun. They're also supposed to be extremely comfortable.
The HD 598s are open and have a wider soundstage. They're considered neutral and bring out an accurate sound. The cable is also detachable so they'll likely last longer. They look comfortable but I haven't heard as much praise from them as I have from the DT 770s in that regard.

Now, here's the issue: My mic. I'm using a Samson Go Mic. It sits on my desk and picks up sound pretty well but not too much. If I whisper it might be inaudible, but everything above that sounds fine. (To give you an idea of sensitivity.)

Now I've heard the HD 598s, since they're open, leak sound a bit. Will this be a problem? I frequently Skype with friends while listening to music and/or playing games. If the leak is significant, this will cause problems. However, I just don't know how much would leak.

So, owners of the HD 598s or owners of similar open headphones -- will the sound leak get picked up by my Samson Go Mic during Skype calls?
---
Steam: Sydite
#2El_KazPosted 7/27/2014 9:10:26 PM
You'll be fine unless your music/games are at a really high volume.
Besides, you can always adjust your mic's sensitivity through the drivers.
---
Wait... what?
#3Abiz_Posted 7/27/2014 9:11:05 PM
I got the 558 and I can blast my music and my mic never picks it up. Which if I whisper it picks it up. So you should be good.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#4PsythikPosted 7/27/2014 9:15:23 PM
Open headphones sound cleaner IMO, but closed have better bass.

That being said, if you care at all about those around you, don't bother with the open design. Even at low volume, everybody within a 10 foot radius is going to hear them.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#5TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2014 9:15:38 PM
Abiz_ posted...
I got the 558 and I can blast my music and my mic never picks it up. Which if I whisper it picks it up. So you should be good.

Interesting. What mic are you using and how close is it to your mouth/what's the gain at? Like I said, mine is on my desk, about six inches in front of me and a foot down.

I know a lot of commentator setups involve the mic almost touching their lips. So they use extremely low gain so it sounds more realistic and picks up only their voice, even if something else sitting a foot away is loud. If your setup is similar to one of these then I think the open headphones may still cause a problem for me.
---
#6TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2014 9:17:16 PM
Psythik posted...
That being said, if you care at all about those around you, don't bother with the open design. Even at low volume, everybody within a 10 foot radius is going to hear them.

This will almost always be in a closed off room. So I'm not worried about people in real life, only those at the other end of the Skype call. And I know microphones pick up sound differently than the human ear does, so I'm still not sure if it will cause a problem.
---
#7PsythikPosted 7/27/2014 9:19:38 PM
So long as you're using a unidirectional mic you'll be fine.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#8Greendragon854Posted 7/27/2014 9:21:21 PM
I have the 595s (the model got replaced by the 598s) and they are fantastic. They do leak sound (if someone in the room wants absolute silence while reading a book and you have In Flames playing, you'll get glares (life experience)) however, I've asked friends while playing games whether they could hear anything on my mic besides my voice, and they've always told me I'm crystal clear and there's no other sounds.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#9Abiz_Posted 7/27/2014 9:29:26 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Abiz_ posted...

Interesting. What mic are you using and how close is it to your mouth/what's the gain at? Like I said, mine is on my desk, about six inches in front of me and a foot down.

Depends on my what I'm doing pc verus console. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KL0VY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This I use on my PC. I got it about 2 inches away from me and it never picks up anything I'm doing. I got the mic booster set up all the way on this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This I use on my consoles(astro mix amp set up). It picks up back ground noise pretty easy, but never from my headphones. I have it right under my chin. Being console I just set up the mic through it automatically. So I got no control over the gains.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#10AcquirePosted 7/27/2014 10:10:44 PM
I had the HD 555s and my mic never picked up any noise from them. Currently I have Audeze LCD 2s, which leak a ton of noise, and the mic still doesn't pick it up. You should be fine.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.