This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 worth for gaming?

#1harcoreblazerPosted 7/28/2014 2:22:52 AM
Since it's cheaper and doesn't have the dashboard crap of 8.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 7/28/2014 2:37:34 AM
If you have windows 8 there is no reason to go to windows 7.

If you want to get rid of the "dashboard crap" there are both settings, as well as free software that make it more tolerable.

If I did not have an OS, I would just go ahead and get windows 8. Under the hood they are really largely the same. Unless of course, you use specific hardware or software that does not work with windows 8.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#3CoolFangsPosted 7/28/2014 2:48:19 AM
http://www.classicshell.net/

Get this and suddenly 8 becomes just as good if not better than 7.
---
3DS FC: 0989-2237-3314
#4Death_BornPosted 7/28/2014 3:18:46 AM
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.
#5triple sPosted 7/28/2014 3:23:21 AM
Death_Born posted...
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.

If you don't have 7, what reasons are there to get it instead of 8? 8 does everything 7 does at the same level if not better.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#6godplaysSNESPosted 7/28/2014 3:24:25 AM
The primary benefits Windows 8.x has for gaming is DX11.1 and DX11.2, but right now Battlefield 4 is the only game confirmed to use DX11.1.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#7Death_BornPosted 7/28/2014 3:50:30 AM(edited)
triple s posted...
Death_Born posted...

If you don't have 7, what reasons are there to get it instead of 8? 8 does everything 7 does at the same level if not better.

Mainly because of usability, 7 is still a lot better in the usability department than 8 and looks better too. A lot of people choose to get new computers with 7 on purpose. In fact computer sellers were forced to add 7 as an option. Some of it was fixed with Windows 8.1 but I still wouldn't upgrade.

Also since a lot more modern games were created to be compatible with 7 you will have few issues compared to 8.

The whole DirectX stuff is just done on purpose and without regard for Windows 7 users, Microsoft should be supporting both OS instead of forcing people to upgrade.
#8rareware101Posted 7/28/2014 4:57:52 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9sfcalimariPosted 7/28/2014 5:28:11 AM
W8 boots faster which is really nice. I have found W8.1 horrible for gaming because it would kick me out of games with memory error messages due to an unresolved intel integrated gpu issue even when gaming on an nvidia dedicated card. Rolled back to W8 and no issues.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#10Sora_AnbuPosted 7/28/2014 5:31:12 AM
sfcalimari posted...
W8 boots faster which is really nice. I have found W8.1 horrible for gaming because it would kick me out of games with memory error messages due to an unresolved intel integrated gpu issue even when gaming on an nvidia dedicated card. Rolled back to W8 and no issues.

Odd, I've not had issues. Were drivers up to date?
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack