This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 worth for gaming?

#11DragnfyrPosted 7/28/2014 4:37:14 AM
Death_Born posted...
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.

Windows 8 is noticeably faster, has a better task manager, and a better File Explorer. It's not really worth it to upgrade from 7 to 8 but if you're buying a new OS then 8 is the way to go.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#12DragnfyrPosted 7/28/2014 4:39:27 AM
Death_Born posted...
triple s posted...
Death_Born posted...
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.

If you don't have 7, what reasons are there to get it instead of 8? 8 does everything 7 does at the same level if not better.

Mainly because of usability, 7 is still a lot better in the usability department than 8 and looks better too. A lot of people choose to get new computers with 7 on purpose. In fact computer sellers were forced to add 7 as an option. Some of it was fixed with Windows 8.1 but I still wouldn't upgrade.

Also since a lot more modern games were created to be compatible with 7 you will have few issues compared to 8.

The whole DirectX stuff is just done on purpose and without regard for Windows 7 users, Microsoft should be supporting both OS instead of forcing people to upgrade.

How is Windows 7 more usable than Windows 8? 90% of the interface is identical between the two OSes and in the 10% that differs Windows 8 is usually better. The only legitimate drawback to Windows 8 is the lack of aero.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#13ghost140Posted 7/28/2014 4:39:51 AM
At this time, from a purely gaming point of view, there is little difference between win7 and 8 other than DirectX 11. If you already have 7 keep it until MS forces you to upgrade by keeping 11 only for win8 and more games start to use it. If you don't have either I guess get 8 just to future prove yourself. Of course win9 is already in development so I suppose you will be have this dilemma again in about mid 2015.
---
Big publishers have yet to grasp the concept that unless they offer serious money and accept a big share of the risk, nobody needs them anymore. - Dan Vavra
#14ClashtonnPosted 7/28/2014 4:58:32 AM
8.1 is the better OS>
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#15WormBoi3Posted 7/28/2014 5:01:37 AM
Yes.

Windows 8 blows.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#16Black-IszPosted 7/28/2014 5:04:32 AM(edited)
Death_Born posted...
triple s posted...
Death_Born posted...

If you don't have 7, what reasons are there to get it instead of 8? 8 does everything 7 does at the same level if not better.

Mainly because of usability, 7 is still a lot better in the usability department than 8 and looks better too. A lot of people choose to get new computers with 7 on purpose. In fact computer sellers were forced to add 7 as an option. Some of it was fixed with Windows 8.1 but I still wouldn't upgrade.

Also since a lot more modern games were created to be compatible with 7 you will have few issues compared to 8.

The whole DirectX stuff is just done on purpose and without regard for Windows 7 users, Microsoft should be supporting both OS instead of forcing people to upgrade.

Why would Microsoft support both OS when they could force people to spend more money on an upgrade?
#17Knighted DragonPosted 7/28/2014 5:13:41 AM
WormBoi3 posted...
Yes.

Windows 8 blows.

---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#18wanderzPosted 7/28/2014 5:36:30 AM(edited)
been using 8 on two computers, and installed on others since i repair friends computers, usually by formatting and installing windows after they (and their chosen tech support place) give up on fixing it.

have had no problems myself, zero complaints and a LOT of thank yous.

the only difference most people even notice, other then 8 being faster, is the start menu... big deal, you don't need to use it, and also there is multiple ways to put a 'classic start menu' on windows 8.

for the person suggesting the "classic shell" windows 8 already does the explorer stuff that supposedly adds.. so basically it's just another form of a classic start menu.

so basically as others have stated, if you have 8 stick with it, if you have 7 stick with it.. if you have neither might as well go with 8, more then likely they'll stop supporting 7 well before they stop supporting 8.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#19rtkamb1770Posted 7/28/2014 5:35:28 AM
Get Window's 7. Even if you people like 8.1, they shouldn't buy it because then Microsoft would argue that 8 was good, since they patched it to 8.1. Personally I think 8 and 8.1 are huge steps backwards in OS development.
#20DC07301981Posted 7/28/2014 5:38:59 AM
If you can get Windows 8, I'd get it. I'm still using Windows 7 as my primary OS and am still more than happy with it. My experience with Windows 8 was pretty positive as well, but didn't have a chance to run any games on it as it was installed on my dad's laptop and he doesn't game.

Personally I am waiting on Windows 9 and what it has to offer. I am building a new PC by the end of this year and am still waiting for news on Windows 9 before I upgrade to a new OS from Windows 7. But as of now, I'm sticking with Windows 7.