This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 worth for gaming?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 7 worth for gaming?

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
2 years ago#11
Death_Born posted...
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.

Windows 8 is noticeably faster, has a better task manager, and a better File Explorer. It's not really worth it to upgrade from 7 to 8 but if you're buying a new OS then 8 is the way to go.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
2 years ago#12
Death_Born posted...
triple s posted...
Death_Born posted...
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.

If you don't have 7, what reasons are there to get it instead of 8? 8 does everything 7 does at the same level if not better.

Mainly because of usability, 7 is still a lot better in the usability department than 8 and looks better too. A lot of people choose to get new computers with 7 on purpose. In fact computer sellers were forced to add 7 as an option. Some of it was fixed with Windows 8.1 but I still wouldn't upgrade.

Also since a lot more modern games were created to be compatible with 7 you will have few issues compared to 8.

The whole DirectX stuff is just done on purpose and without regard for Windows 7 users, Microsoft should be supporting both OS instead of forcing people to upgrade.

How is Windows 7 more usable than Windows 8? 90% of the interface is identical between the two OSes and in the 10% that differs Windows 8 is usually better. The only legitimate drawback to Windows 8 is the lack of aero.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs

User Info: ghost140

ghost140
2 years ago#13
At this time, from a purely gaming point of view, there is little difference between win7 and 8 other than DirectX 11. If you already have 7 keep it until MS forces you to upgrade by keeping 11 only for win8 and more games start to use it. If you don't have either I guess get 8 just to future prove yourself. Of course win9 is already in development so I suppose you will be have this dilemma again in about mid 2015.
Big publishers have yet to grasp the concept that unless they offer serious money and accept a big share of the risk, nobody needs them anymore. - Dan Vavra

User Info: Clashtonn

Clashtonn
2 years ago#14
8.1 is the better OS>
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD

User Info: WormBoi3

WormBoi3
2 years ago#15
Yes.

Windows 8 blows.
Posted using GameFlux

User Info: Black-Isz

Black-Isz
2 years ago#16
Death_Born posted...
triple s posted...
Death_Born posted...

If you don't have 7, what reasons are there to get it instead of 8? 8 does everything 7 does at the same level if not better.

Mainly because of usability, 7 is still a lot better in the usability department than 8 and looks better too. A lot of people choose to get new computers with 7 on purpose. In fact computer sellers were forced to add 7 as an option. Some of it was fixed with Windows 8.1 but I still wouldn't upgrade.

Also since a lot more modern games were created to be compatible with 7 you will have few issues compared to 8.

The whole DirectX stuff is just done on purpose and without regard for Windows 7 users, Microsoft should be supporting both OS instead of forcing people to upgrade.

Why would Microsoft support both OS when they could force people to spend more money on an upgrade?

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 years ago#17
WormBoi3 posted...
Yes.

Windows 8 blows.
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: wanderz

wanderz
2 years ago#18
been using 8 on two computers, and installed on others since i repair friends computers, usually by formatting and installing windows after they (and their chosen tech support place) give up on fixing it.

have had no problems myself, zero complaints and a LOT of thank yous.

the only difference most people even notice, other then 8 being faster, is the start menu... big deal, you don't need to use it, and also there is multiple ways to put a 'classic start menu' on windows 8.

for the person suggesting the "classic shell" windows 8 already does the explorer stuff that supposedly adds.. so basically it's just another form of a classic start menu.

so basically as others have stated, if you have 8 stick with it, if you have 7 stick with it.. if you have neither might as well go with 8, more then likely they'll stop supporting 7 well before they stop supporting 8.
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.

User Info: rtkamb1770

rtkamb1770
2 years ago#19
Get Window's 7. Even if you people like 8.1, they shouldn't buy it because then Microsoft would argue that 8 was good, since they patched it to 8.1. Personally I think 8 and 8.1 are huge steps backwards in OS development.

User Info: DC07301981

DC07301981
2 years ago#20
If you can get Windows 8, I'd get it. I'm still using Windows 7 as my primary OS and am still more than happy with it. My experience with Windows 8 was pretty positive as well, but didn't have a chance to run any games on it as it was installed on my dad's laptop and he doesn't game.

Personally I am waiting on Windows 9 and what it has to offer. I am building a new PC by the end of this year and am still waiting for news on Windows 9 before I upgrade to a new OS from Windows 7. But as of now, I'm sticking with Windows 7.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 7 worth for gaming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived