This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 worth for gaming?

#21xMP44xPosted 7/28/2014 5:48:29 AM
If you have the choice I'd be inclined to say Windows 8.1 is better than 7; it's much, much better than people give it credit for. The 'Modern UI' start menu isn't to my taste either but there are many, many ways to bring back the more traditional start menu. Classic Shell has already been mentioned, but Start8 is an option, as is StartIsBack.

I've also seen improvement in game performance on Windows 8.1 when compared to Windows 7. It's purely personal experience but the returns have been impressive to say the least. On 7 I would drop Mount & Blade: Warband to DirectX 7 to get smooth gameplay, but I've been using DirectX 9 with no problems, while still getting a smooth game. Mount & Blade is the only game I've really been playing recently though, so my experience is limited (and I'm playing a different mod, which might simply be better coded).

Windows 8 has a nicer Explorer interface as well, I think. The ribbon isn't to everyone's taste, but the file transfer window is more useful as well. Either OS is fine - don't believe that Windows 8 is the worst thing Microsoft have ever done, even though some features might not be all that appealing.
#22SinisterSlayPosted 7/28/2014 5:53:29 AM(edited)
xMP44x posted...
If you have the choice I'd be inclined to say Windows 8.1 is better than 7; it's much, much better than people give it credit for. The 'Modern UI' start menu isn't to my taste either but there are many, many ways to bring back the more traditional start menu. Classic Shell has already been mentioned, but Start8 is an option, as is StartIsBack.

I've also seen improvement in game performance on Windows 8.1 when compared to Windows 7. It's purely personal experience but the returns have been impressive to say the least. On 7 I would drop Mount & Blade: Warband to DirectX 7 to get smooth gameplay, but I've been using DirectX 9 with no problems, while still getting a smooth game. Mount & Blade is the only game I've really been playing recently though, so my experience is limited (and I'm playing a different mod, which might simply be better coded).

Windows 8 has a nicer Explorer interface as well, I think. The ribbon isn't to everyone's taste, but the file transfer window is more useful as well. Either OS is fine - don't believe that Windows 8 is the worst thing Microsoft have ever done, even though some features might not be all that appealing.

That's odd, on my 7 laptop with its 560m, and the battle sizer mod set to 500, the game runs smooth in dx9 mode.

As for TC, if you already own both, install both. Why pick one when you can have both?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23NettoSaitoPosted 7/28/2014 5:52:30 AM
Really though at this point Id just wait for 9. It brings back the start menu, and developers will be shifting their main focus towards it. Sure windows 7 and 8 still have a lot of years of support left, but why buy the oldest version of the three?
---
PSN/XBL/NN - NettoSaito | 3DS - [1203-9218-7780]
Netto's Game Room - News, Reviews, Lets Plays, and More - http://www.nettosgameroom.com
#24xMP44xPosted 7/28/2014 6:36:08 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
That's odd, on my 7 laptop with its 560m, and the battle sizer mod set to 500, the game runs smooth in dx9 mode.

A good point, and I could never work out why the game didn't run particularly well for me. I'm inclined to blame it on my GT 220. Yes, I have an absolutely awful graphics card for 2012, let alone 2014. Still, I got this computer cheaply enough and I'm likely going to make the most of it. There aren't many games it'll max out, but I can still enjoy quite a few releases on it, so I'm not complaining too much.

As for the mods being used, on Windows 7 I was playing the Floris mod (specifically the Gameplay version), and on Windows 8.1 I've been using the Silverstag mod. Maybe there's something to that, though I believe Silverstag uses the same code base as Floris since it's referred to in the launcher as 'Floris Workshop'. Maybe it was just plain bad luck.
#25SinisterSlayPosted 7/28/2014 6:38:03 AM
xMP44x posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

A good point, and I could never work out why the game didn't run particularly well for me. I'm inclined to blame it on my GT 220. Yes, I have an absolutely awful graphics card for 2012, let alone 2014. Still, I got this computer cheaply enough and I'm likely going to make the most of it. There aren't many games it'll max out, but I can still enjoy quite a few releases on it, so I'm not complaining too much.

As for the mods being used, on Windows 7 I was playing the Floris mod (specifically the Gameplay version), and on Windows 8.1 I've been using the Silverstag mod. Maybe there's something to that, though I believe Silverstag uses the same code base as Floris since it's referred to in the launcher as 'Floris Workshop'. Maybe it was just plain bad luck.

Floris has performance issues in battle, it'll keep freezing in battle, presumably to run AI calculations.
And your video card sucks really bad. Your integrated might actually be more powerful. You should grab a cheap nvidia 750.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26JhedanPosted 7/28/2014 7:22:30 AM
ghost140 posted...
At this time, from a purely gaming point of view, there is little difference between win7 and 8 other than DirectX 11. If you already have 7 keep it until MS forces you to upgrade by keeping 11 only for win8 and more games start to use it. If you don't have either I guess get 8 just to future prove yourself. Of course win9 is already in development so I suppose you will be have this dilemma again in about mid 2015.

I bought a brand new laptop on january with win 7 ult, runs grear and i have no intention on moving to win 8 unless its strictly necessary.
The new interface is made for touchscreens and is terrible for mouse & keyboard, its faster, yes but in order to make it work in a classic desktop you have to mod it. That for me is a turn off.
I agree, ill move out of 7 when Microsoft forces me to upgrade, Win 7 is the new Win XP.
#27foodeater4Posted 7/28/2014 7:28:39 AM
If you already have one or the other, theres no reason to switch really.

If you have to buy one, I would just get 8.1 since its better and faster overall. IF your on vista on some crap I would maybe just wait till 9 since its not to far away.

Its very simple to use with a classic desktop and basically everything the same as before. You don't even need outside mods anymore. I don't get why people have such issues with 8,1, its easy as can be. Just set it to boot to classic desktop and your basically the same as its been for years except if you wanna shutdown or restar you right click the windows icon instead of left. That's like seriously the big change.
#28WygunPosted 7/28/2014 7:48:47 AM
I would say it depends on wether you plan on playing modern or classic games. Games released in the last few years are compatible with win8 but some 2004 and older games have issues, for example arcanum, gothic 2 and starcraft 1 have slowdowns or weird colors in win8. If you buy most of your games from GOG you may want to keep win7, otherwise its fine to upgrade to win8.
#29gunner967Posted 7/28/2014 8:17:19 AM
I'd say juts go ahead and get Windows 8. Through a couple add-ons, it's basically Win 7 but with new stuff added and you can just ignore that tile crap.
Also, MS is being stupid and mainstream Windows 7 support/updates ends in January 2015, so you may want to keep that in mind.
---
XBL A Killing Pie~PSN A_Killing_Pie~Steam Scooby Doo
"I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!"
#30ShubPosted 7/28/2014 8:39:45 AM
gunner967 posted...
Also, MS is being stupid and mainstream Windows 7 support/updates ends in January 2015, so you may want to keep that in mind.

I don't think that qualifies as "stupid", it's a standard support timeline that applies to all Microsoft products. Windows 7 came out 5 years ago, they can't keep supporting it forever. That said, yes, I agree that's something to keep in mind, and I think it's silly to get Windows 7 at this point. If you already have it, I don't think purchasing 8 is worthwhile, but if you have to buy something anyway, just get 8.1.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.