This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 worth for gaming?

#31castrejon04Posted 7/28/2014 9:51:52 AM
CoolFangs posted...
http://www.classicshell.net/

Get this and suddenly 8 becomes just as good if not better than 7.

That's bloatware software and it's not the real thing.

This is the real start menu:
http://startisback.com/
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#32CthulhuMessiahPosted 7/28/2014 3:38:47 PM
8 is faster but 8 is also 8.
#33SilentHawk29Posted 7/28/2014 3:57:39 PM
7 is better for game compatibility, especially with older games. For example, games that require 16 bit colors won't run windowed in 8.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#34MarikhenPosted 7/28/2014 11:41:59 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
7 is better for game compatibility, especially with older games. For example, games that require 16 bit colors won't run windowed in 8.

Games that use palette controls/commands that haven't been in practice since Windows 95/98 don't run too well on Windows 7 either. They require things like shutting down explorer, registry editing, and/or using third-party software like PaletteStealerSuspender.

__

Honestly, if you're going to play a game made before 2005 or 2004 that has compatibility issues with modern OSes you're probably better off running Windows XP x86 than anything else. Windows XP, AFAIK, didn't have any of the palette issues with older games like Diablo and Starcraft which Windows 7 has. Likewise whether it's due to Windows 7 or the x64 nature of the OS, Windows 95 era games such as Stars! refuse to function at all under Windows 7 (x64) despite working fine under Windows XP (x86).

Frankly, the biggest reason to use Windows 7 over Windows 8(.1) is because you feel it would be morally objectionable to "reward" Microsoft for producing OSes like Windows 8(.1). Windows 8(.1) seems to have better non-gaming performance in several areas that actually matter (startup time doesn't), and while game performance is generally equal between the two Windows 8(.1) left testers feeling as if the gameplay had been smoother with less micro-suttering.

Of course if you're using morals when deciding your OS you probably shouldn't even be picking a Microsoft OS in the first place. :-/
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#35BiglabronPosted 7/29/2014 1:25:54 AM
7 is the go to. If you have 8 just tough it out. If you are getting a new windows get 7 for gaming.
---
I don't always lose, but when I do it's purple sideu!!!
#36AlexKidd5000Posted 7/29/2014 6:09:54 PM
Linux.
#37AlexKidd5000Posted 7/29/2014 6:14:29 PM
Windows is not good in general, it's just that people have gotten used to bad OS's.
#38PathlessBulletPosted 7/29/2014 6:27:18 PM
Biglabron posted...
7 is the go to. If you have 8 just tough it out. If you are getting a new windows get 7 for gaming.

Basically do the exact opposite of what this guy said.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#39bkkorpsPosted 7/29/2014 6:27:57 PM
PathlessBullet posted...
Biglabron posted...

Basically do the exact opposite of what this guy said.

agreed. so much irrational hate for windows 8, it is amazing.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.
#40MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/29/2014 6:30:48 PM
Death_Born posted...
Windows 7 works fine for 99% of games. There's not really any reason to get Windows 8, it's basically like Vista in that a lot of people are skipping it. Plus Windows 8 looks uglier, IMO - they removed aero glass and replaced it with really ugly flat design just because Apple was doing it. Otherwise Windows 8 barely offers any tangible benefits.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003