This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some good Sandbox MMO's?

#1LanaughtPosted 7/28/2014 12:04:49 PM
Me and my friend are really tired of the themepark MMOs like WoW.

We've tried EvE and didn't care for it.

Thanks!
#2RaikouenPosted 7/28/2014 12:10:55 PM
I really enjoyed DC Universe Online, but the F2P portion is kind of lame.
#3Anrui_Posted 7/28/2014 12:23:51 PM
Best of luck I've never played a sandbox MMORPG that I ever liked.
#4Lanaught(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 12:50:32 PM
I'll look into DC Universe, thanks!

We've looked at things like Black Desert (character creation looks amazing!) and Archeage, but those are games that neither of us could run, sadly.
#5LaggingRedPosted 7/28/2014 1:30:45 PM
Have you tried firefall? That game looked interesting.
#6AskeladdPosted 7/28/2014 1:33:53 PM
Isn't DCUO a themepark? I haven't played it past the tutorial, but I have never heard it referred to as a sandbox, before.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#7majinbuu58Posted 7/28/2014 1:45:17 PM
Star Wars Galaxies.

DCUO is not a sandbox lol
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64
#8RaikouenPosted 7/28/2014 1:47:37 PM
I'm not sure what DCUO is exactly classified as, all I know is it was pure fun when I played, but only after I paid the subscription fee. The free version's pretty much just crap.
#9DarkLagunaPosted 7/28/2014 2:42:32 PM
Raikouen posted...
I'm not sure what DCUO is exactly classified as, all I know is it was pure fun when I played, but only after I paid the subscription fee. The free version's pretty much just crap.

That's the case with most f2p MMO's. Eventually you get to the point where either you use the cash shop, or you really can't progress. Either it's a hard cap (you're locked out of certain features until you pay) or you spend so much time farming/grinding to catch up to the cash shop players that it's nothing more than a chore. I've yet to see a f2p mmo that does it right (i.e. the cash shop items don't affect gameplay, like cosmetic items; other genres like MOBAs and PoE manage to make a ton of money and still let f2p players enjoy the full game).

There was supposed to be a Vampire the Masquerade MMO that was supposedly sandbox and player-driven like EVE (and even made by the same people), but it was announced over 5 years ago and there's still no word on it. If they could make a fantasy version of EVE's sandbox and player driven system.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#10TangyGeoduckPosted 7/28/2014 3:38:08 PM
World of Darkness was canceled earlier this year when CCP was restructuring. Don't have a link since I'm on my phone but it shouldn't be too hard to look up.