This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

overclock not showing

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. overclock not showing
1 year ago#1
I won't be able to give much info, but it's worth a try:

My friend tries to overclock his cpu.

Intel i7 4790k
Asus Z87-A motherboard
16gigs of ram

Now the weird thing is, overclocking works at first. The bios accepts it and shows the higher clocks. Only it isn't visible on windows control panel or on cpu-z.. They still display the base clock values

He has al the parts needed to overclock it. So why doesn't it fully apply/show in windows?

If you have any suggestions, it would help us alot.
---
Born to bleed, fighting to succeed
1 year ago#2
Have you tried running a CPU test then looking at the frequency in CPU-Z. If a certain option is enabled the CPU automatically downclocks itself till it's in use.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
1 year ago#3
Clouddx posted...
Have you tried running a CPU test then looking at the frequency in CPU-Z. If a certain option is enabled the CPU automatically downclocks itself till it's in use.

Ah ok, i'll check it out. Also, my friend works at a pc store (the fact he can't solve it is driving him crazy haha) his boss says it's a matter of waiting for a bios update..

But that couldn't be it right? Would ot even show up in the bios of it needed an update?
---
1 year ago#4
PC store clerks knows as much about PCs as gun store clerks knows about guns.
1 year ago#5
Any more tips?
---
1 year ago#6
Darkblade9116 posted...
Clouddx posted...

Ah ok, i'll check it out. Also, my friend works at a pc store (the fact he can't solve it is driving him crazy haha) his boss says it's a matter of waiting for a bios update..

But that couldn't be it right? Would ot even show up in the bios of it needed an update?

It should show up in the BIOS no matter what. However in windows it will downclock itself so you have to put some stress on the CPU for it to show the correct clock speeds.
---
1 year ago#7
Clouddx posted...
Darkblade9116 posted...
Clouddx posted...

It should show up in the BIOS no matter what. However in windows it will downclock itself so you have to put some stress on the CPU for it to show the correct clock speeds.

Is that only with the devil's canyon cpu's? Because he works in a pc store. This is not his first time overclocking
---
1 year ago#8
The Windows Control Panel does not show overclocks.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
1 year ago#9
Darkblade9116 posted...
Clouddx posted...
Darkblade9116 posted...
Clouddx posted...

Is that only with the devil's canyon cpu's? Because he works in a pc store. This is not his first time overclocking

Automatic down clocking on CPUs has been standard for a very long time. Since at least 7-8 years ago.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
1 year ago#10
Darkblade9116 posted...
Clouddx posted...
Darkblade9116 posted...
Clouddx posted...

No, it's with every CPU made by Intel, and I believe even AMD has their own thing that downclocks CPUs while not under stress.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. overclock not showing

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived