This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need recommendations for a new Mobo/Processor

#1MindwalkerXPosted 7/28/2014 4:06:51 PM
Greetings!

My atual motherboard's PCI-E stopped working(already tested the GPU on another mobo and it worked) and My atual processor is a Phenom II 840, which has been decent for my needs, but it kinda aged as well, and since i will have to buy a new motherboard, i think i might try to upgrade both, because otherwise i will have to buy another AM3 mobo, and apparently, FM is the main line now.

What i seek:

-Nothing enthusiastic, or super expensive.
-I just want a decent upgrade for my actual processor, but nothing major or "next-gen eske" because, i plan on doing a more intense upgrade only by 2016 and beyond, i just wanna increase the performance for the library that i already own.
-No bias whatsoever, be it Intel or AMD, just seek some decent performance per price.

Thx in advance
---
There is much to be done.
3DS FC: 3024 5230 7246/NNID: GravenX
#2KillerzOverHerePosted 7/28/2014 4:23:30 PM
What is your gpu?
---
Apparently all GameFAQs mods are women, because they just gave me a warning for having a misogynistic joke in my signature.
#3MindwalkerX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 4:25:12 PM
GTX 650 boost(2gb)
---
#4KillerzOverHerePosted 7/28/2014 4:26:54 PM
OK, if you want a good upgrade for the money, i would say get a intel i5 4670k and a new mobo, and that would set you up for a good gpu upgrade down the line.
---
Apparently all GameFAQs mods are women, because they just gave me a warning for having a misogynistic joke in my signature.
#5MindwalkerX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 4:43:04 PM
I see, is this the best option or are there some other ones? This seem a little pricy for me must confess, the idea would be to change the CPU again in the future(where this CPU you recomended will most likely be cheaper).

This whole issue with my PCi-E was really unexpected, i'm trying to make the best of a bad situation, my budget is kinda limited, but i will consider any suggestions and see what is the best move for me.
---
#6KillerzOverHerePosted 7/28/2014 4:45:20 PM
MindwalkerX posted...
I see, is this the best option or are there some other ones? This seem a little pricy for me must confess, the idea would be to change the CPU again in the future(where this CPU you recomended will most likely be cheaper).

This whole issue with my PCi-E was really unexpected, i'm trying to make the best of a bad situation, my budget is kinda limited, but i will consider any suggestions and see what is the best move for me.

I wouldn't suggest doing a small CPU upgrade then a major one. I don't think that's smart, but hey, you're choice.

If you are set on this idea, get a budget CPU like a fx 6xxxx series, which should hold you over until your bigger upgrade.
---
#7MindwalkerX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 4:51:34 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...
MindwalkerX posted...

I wouldn't suggest doing a small CPU upgrade then a major one. I don't think that's smart, but hey, you're choice.

If you are set on this idea, get a budget CPU like a fx 6xxxx series, which should hold you over until your bigger upgrade.

I understand, But, this processor(4670k), will it keep up for a good amount of time?
---
#8KillerzOverHerePosted 7/28/2014 4:53:09 PM
MindwalkerX posted...
MindwalkerX posted...

I understand, But, this processor(4670k), will it keep up for a good amount of time?

Oh absolutely. You won't need to upgrade that CPU for a long time. I'm talking at least 6 years. That's good for 2-3 gps upgrades.
---
#9MindwalkerX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 4:57:50 PM
MindwalkerX posted...
MindwalkerX posted...

Oh absolutely. You won't need to upgrade that CPU for a long time. I'm talking at least 6 years. That's good for 2-3 gps upgrades.

That's nice then, i think i will do an extra effort to get it, so in the future i will just upgrade other parts.
Any mobo 1150 will do right?
---
#10ClouddxPosted 7/28/2014 4:59:42 PM
Intel processors are great, my i7-920 is about 5 years old and still running strong.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S