This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I do not understand how Steam is cheaper than buying physical on consoles.

#1Snake99001Posted 7/29/2014 5:51:46 AM
Keep in mind that I don't live in the US but Europe (Greece) so I don't know how things work over there but over here there are stores than bring a 60 game down to 20 after about a couple of months. (For some reason this doesn't apply to portable games. They start at 40 and can stay that way for a year.) Meanwhile, when I look the same game up on Steam it's either 50 or 60. I don't think I've paid for a full price game in 2+ years. I'm not the kind of person that has to absolutely play a game day one.

I'm talking about permanent price drops, not temporary sales. Sales only make you hoard games you'll never play and I'm sure 90% of the people in this board are guilty of this.

I can assure you this isn't a troll topic no matter what it looks like. I couldn't care less about fanboy arguments and I have more important things to worry about. All I want is for people to calmly explain to me what the hype is about.
#2rupok93Posted 7/29/2014 5:56:28 AM(edited)
in the US console games stay at like $59.99 for a whole year or more with $55 used. The max sales they ever go down to is like $35.

Its also pretty fair to compare sales to permanent price drops because on consoles the sales are not often and pretty bad. On steam you get constant sales whether thats the 3-4 big sales during holidays or the random publisher sales that also bring prices down considerably for a few days. Look at psn for example that have "sales" even ps plus users don't get the same prices as steam sales. Forget about gamestop and other retailers ever having big sales, even then they are sold out in like 2 secs.
#3JohnMafiaPosted 7/29/2014 5:58:19 AM
I don't understand, why would you simply not include sales? They happen so often and around the year on multiple sites. Why do they not count?

Whats the difference between waiting for a sale to buy a game and waiting 2 months for a game to drop in price?
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 7/29/2014 6:09:15 AM(edited)
I'm talking about permanent price drops, not temporary sales

I understand what you are saying, but you can not really evaluate Steam's pricing strategy or people's perception of it without considering the constant sales that they have. Particularly since almost every game available goes on sale multiple times a year.

You mention yourself that you wait to get a game at a decent price. One could argue that you could do the same thing in Steam, just instead of a permanent price drop, you would wait for a sale. It is not the same thing, I agree. But for someone as yourself, it allows you to do something very similar to what you have been doing. Additionally, these sales typically come around earlier than the permanent price drops. I remember buying Max Payne 3 for 75% off just a little under 3 months after release. I admit that I have not checked, but I am pretty sure the price in stores was not 18 euros. It was still quite a new game that had just been released.

One thing that I have noticed, and something that illustrates your point is that there are also a lot of triple A titles on the platform who seem to be kept artificially expensive. The Call of Duty franchise is an example (Black Ops 2 is still 60 euros!). These games also hardly seem to appear in any of the sales. I agree that this is annoying, but there are too few of these games for people to really care.

In the end, I just look at it from a practical and realistic point of view. What have I been paying for the games that I play on Steam? The truth is outside of Skyrim, I can not remember the last time I bought a game on Steam for over 20 euros, and my library is filled with triple A titles, a lot of them quite recent.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | Kingston V300 120 GB | Corsair VX550 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 300r | AKG k550 | Matias Mini Quiet Pro | Zowie EC1 Evo White
#5JohnMafiaPosted 7/29/2014 6:04:33 AM
I mean I get the thought that people just hoard games during sales and never play and its probably true for some games. but usually the games I am truly interested in are included in that too and when I get them, I certainly play them. The recent summer sale had Wolf Among us for $8.50 and I got it and played it within a month. Was great. you can't just not count that.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#6TropicMoon10Posted 7/29/2014 6:05:53 AM
I think it depends on the publisher. Guys like Ubisoft's games stay $60 for up to over a year after release before even getting a decent sale. And Activision leaves their games at full price for several years before finally giving them a permanent $10 or $20 drop in price.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#7MonkeymagePosted 7/29/2014 6:06:15 AM
Snake99001 posted...
I couldn't care less about fanboy arguments and I have more important things to worry about.

So basically this topic didn't need to be created. Cool.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#8SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/29/2014 6:08:19 AM
If people hoard games, it's a deeper issue than Steam "making" you do it.

I know one summer I hoarded a ton of games because I was at rock bottom with my depression. Haven't had much of a problem since then.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#9Guitar_Hero_GuyPosted 7/29/2014 6:08:50 AM
It's mostly due to stocking fees, stores have to pay to keep shelf space for the game among other costs, and there's production costs that go into the physical product, so it's less likely to be altered. I'm sure there's other factors, but that's one of the contributing ones.
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#10SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/29/2014 6:15:37 AM
Actually, my hoarding started off at a second-hand electronics store buying a crapload of used games and then escalated.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}