This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm an Idiot, please help me: Can I set up a second (wired) access point w/ WAN?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 7/29/2014 6:37:17 PM
Yes the thread title is haphazard. I had to try and convey more than the space allowed.

My first problem is that I'm an idiot. About as tech-savvy as a brick. So I need some help/advice/assurance.

My problem is this:

My home uses a WAN for Internet. But in approximately one week, I NEED to have a PC with a wired Internet connection in a far bedroom (opposite end of the house as WAN modem/router). Our ISP will only allow one active modem at a time, and we need the existing one where it is (central location for best WAN coverage).

My understanding is that what I need to do is set up an "access point" in the far bedroom, and then run an Ethernet cable from the access point to the PC. But all the Google results are for wireless access points--and I need a wired connection.

Is this possible?
What would I need to be able to do it?
How would I go about doing it?

I've already tried plugging in an old modem to the cable in the far bedroom, and running an Ethernet cable from the modem to the PC, but there was no Internet connection (ostensibly because the modem was not "registered" with the ISP). My next thought seems like it's really stupid, but it's all I can think of: to run an ethernet from the modem to a random wireless router, and then to the PC. Would that work?

I'm sorry, but I haven't used wired connections for the better part of the last decade. I really have no clue what I'm doing.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2verycornyPosted 7/29/2014 6:43:22 PM(edited)
I pretty sure LAN is plug and play. So get yourself a 50ft long ethernet cable.
---
PSN - verycorny
3DS Friend Code - 0001-3307-3720
#3LordSeiferPosted 7/29/2014 6:42:54 PM(edited)
ok , first off, stop saying WAN, cause it doesnt mean what you think it means.

Basically, you have a modem, you either have a modem router combo, (most likely) or you have two devices.

you want a desktop PC on the other side of the house to have access, you have the following options.

1. forget wired and get a wireless adapter for that computer.
2. run an ethernet cable all the way from the current modem/router device to the other side of house and plug it into PC
3. connect some sort of wireless bridge that will pick up the wifi signal, and then give you the ability to plug into the PC, not really any different than option 1.
4. get a powerline networking kit, and plug one end in at the modem, plug one end in by your pc, and then run the ethernet from the wall socket to your PC

trying to run a second modem at the same time will not work as you discovered for a variety of reasons
---
^ this
#4Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2014 6:46:52 PM
Thanks for the little quip, but I know exactly what a WAN is. It's a Wireless Area Network. And every time I wrote "WAN," I meant "wireless area network."

Anyway:

1. Not possible.
2. Not possible.
3. Not possible.
4. I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. Plug an ethernet into a wall socket?

I've got the ISP cable installed in the far bedroom (which should give TV, Internet and phone access). Is there really no way to get wired Internet from this without taking down the WAN setup on the other end of the house?
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#5LordSeiferPosted 7/29/2014 6:55:37 PM(edited)
no, a WAN is a wide area network (so 'the internet' is a WAN)

a wireless network is just a wireless network, or WIFI.

and I assure you all 4 of those are possible, you just dont want to do it.
but since you think only 4 is possible, do that. but no do not attempt to jam an ethernet cable into a power socket, that probably wont end well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4d5es8YYGo <- watch me
---
^ this
#6bkkorpsPosted 7/29/2014 6:55:58 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Thanks for the little quip, but I know exactly what a WAN is. It's a Wireless Area Network. And every time I wrote "WAN," I meant "wireless area network."

Anyway:

1. Not possible.
2. Not possible.
3. Not possible.
4. I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. Plug an ethernet into a wall socket?

I've got the ISP cable installed in the far bedroom (which should give TV, Internet and phone access). Is there really no way to get wired Internet from this without taking down the WAN setup on the other end of the house?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_area_network

you may think it means one thing, but to others it means something completely different.

anyways, if 1 through 3 arent preffered, option 4 uses something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=lp_1194444_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406685129&sr=1-1

there may be some issues depending on the quality of the wiring in your house. If the two outlets used are on the same circuit, then they work pretty well. not sure on which brands are best, but you can do some research.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.
#7verycornyPosted 7/29/2014 7:17:43 PM
Seeing how clueless you are, I suggest you to hire a professional.
---
PSN - verycorny
3DS Friend Code - 0001-3307-3720
#8Lucavi000Posted 7/29/2014 7:23:13 PM
Powerline adapters are pretty much what youre asking for. You plug one end at your modem into the wall socket and connect the cable into the modem.

Plug the other into a wall socket near your PC and plug the cable into your PC. the adapters use your in home circuitry to send wired cable internet.