This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

wtf is wrong with windows 8.1

#21thasnipermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 12:09:02 AM
Clouddx posted...
thasnipermaster posted...
Clouddx posted...
ok it was on sticked on my PC, and I try to reinstal windows and it says..

I have two options: Upgrade install or custom install

Upgrade install requires me to start up the PC normally and then insert the disk, which is not possible due to the black screen of death.

So when I try custom install, it says:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partrition table. on EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

You have to delete the whole partition on the HDD first. Then boot from the CD and allow it to install to the HDD.

I'll look into how to do this tomorrow, I have a massive f***ing headache. First time owning a Desktop PC and it has been a dreadful experience so far.

I'm assuming you didn't build it yourself and got it from somewhere like IbuyPowerPC or CyberpowerPC which are terrible companies. So expect to have problems.

Windows 8 is the f***ing problem. Nothing is wrong with the computers hardware, the problem is microsofts s*** software. I have spent the past 3 hours searching the internet on how to fix this and I know this is windows 8's fault, massive amount of people have the same problem, few were able to fix.

G-night, hopefully I can fix this tomorrow and if I can't I guess I will return it.
---
Im opposite of a care bear
KILLING FLOOR 2 !!! Hurry up and take my f***ing dosh!
#22ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 12:14:45 AM
Personally I've had no problems w. W8 and I've had it installed since release. I have my doubts that it's actually W8 causing the problems and more-or-so a driver related issue and maybe even a hardware related one.

Do you have another GPU you can try out, or does your MOBO have built in graphics that you can use temporarily.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#23wanderzPosted 7/30/2014 1:31:27 AM
"black screen of death" and the xbox red rings of death, ps3 yellow light of death... etc..

all started with much earlier version of windows (i forget if it was windows 95 or windows 3.xx) blue screen of death.

so yeah, ti's been around literally for decades.

it's far from "massively common" with windows 8, and also applies to windows 7, vista and even xp.

in your first post you stated...
'it starts downloading some crap that i could not see.....
so i powered off the pc by holding down the power button.'

i'm fairly certain this is why people are saying you shut it off during an update, which it certainly sounds like you did.

when you first start up a new PC with any version of windows there is going to be a LOT of updates it will need to download and install, which depending on your connection can take up to an hour to download and install and yes shutting it off during that time can have catastrophic results.

the most likely solutions to start with, try installing / reinstalling the newest video card driver for the computer... you can download it to a flash drive from another computer and possibly install it from safe mode.
if that fails, reinstalling / recovering windows may be the only option.. or if you can bring it back, it may be safer to do that.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#24phy2jshPosted 7/30/2014 1:58:28 AM
My guess would be windows was auto-installing your video drivers and you reset in the middle causing them to become corrupted. Your screen tends to go black for a period then come back on again when your video drivers are installing.

You should just re-install windows. The product key could be on the PC or somewhere in the documentation that came with it.

Oh, and try to chill out a little bit. Part of having a PC is dealing with issues; we've all been there, and it is just something you have to accept if you want to become part of the, so-called, master race. Stressing like you are isn't going to encourage people to help you.
#25elsmittyPosted 7/30/2014 2:37:38 AM
phy2jsh posted...
My guess would be windows was auto-installing your video drivers and you reset in the middle causing them to become corrupted. Your screen tends to go black for a period then come back on again when your video drivers are installing.

You should just re-install windows. The product key could be on the PC or somewhere in the documentation that came with it.

Oh, and try to chill out a little bit. Part of having a PC is dealing with issues; we've all been there, and it is just something you have to accept if you want to become part of the, so-called, master race. Stressing like you are isn't going to encourage people to help you.

Part of the fun of owning a powerful gaming machine is learning to use it and fixing it when it goes haywire. You are going to have lot's of new knowledge when this is all said and done.

And remember if you build it yourself all the parts should have some sort of warranty on it for at least some time and if you bought it prebuilt you should have some sort of limited warranty even if you went all cheapo and didn't pay extra for the extended coverage.

As many users have already stated it sounds like you interrupted a windows update which you don't do for any operating system ever made. If I where in charge of fixing your problem I would start by reinstalling windows like other users have already stated. When I installed 8.1 onto my tower I built the product key was located in the box the cd came in. If you bought it prebuilt then it should be on some sticker somewhere on the tower.
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
#26ElDudorinoPosted 7/30/2014 2:45:08 AM
Windows 8 is the f***ing problem. Nothing is wrong with the computers hardware, the problem is microsofts s*** software. I have spent the past 3 hours searching the internet on how to fix this and I know this is windows 8's fault, massive amount of people have the same problem, few were able to fix.

G-night, hopefully I can fix this tomorrow and if I can't I guess I will return it.

Look, I don't even LIKE Windows 8 but simply put you are wrong. This isn't a case of "massive amount of people have the same problem." Just because your screen is black and theirs is black doesn't mean you have the same issue. If some are able to fix by taking certain steps and others aren't, then you don't all have the same issue. You also haven't provided very much information about the problem. When people tried to help you told them to refer to posts 1 and 6, but they do NOT contain information about the problem. Just saying "The screen is black, this happens to lots of people" is not helpful because regardless of what you (incorrectly) believe, what happened to you is not some well-known and well-documented occurrence that happens to everybody.

Blowing away your Windows install and starting fresh will probably help. Then again, it might not. We don't really know what your problem is. People are saying you interrupted an update but just clicking the lower left corner of your PC isn't going to update anything and also shouldn't freeze anything so it sounds like you had something else happening. Honestly, I think you should bring your computer to a professional who will be able to see the issue first-hand and can fix it for you.
#27ElDudorinoPosted 7/30/2014 3:11:06 AM
Okay, now that I'm in front of a keyboard:

Your problem is that you're looking at a computer like a console. Consoles are highly-specialized and two of the same system will likely have all or most of the same hardware and so forth. If your PS3 gets the YLOD, that almost always means that the solder points under the GPU have lost their connections which I believe ultimately owes to the lead-free solder being insufficiently cooled. If I'm not mistaken, the RROD on the Xbox 360 is the exact same issue. However, when a PC fails, your hardware configuration could be completely different from the next person's. Your software configuration might be something nobody else in the world has but you. So when you have a problem, you can't just Google part of the symptoms and assume that your problem is the same as the next person's. Even though your screen is black and theirs is black, there's going to be much more to it than that. That's why any time you try to ask for advice with a technical issue, people are going to want as many details as possible, including details you may think are unimportant. We need to know exactly what steps caused the problem and what steps you've tried as well as a detailed description of what the problem looks like. Even then, for many issues you're going to have to do a lot of troubleshooting on your own because sometimes ten different problems can give similar symptoms.

Actually, looking at your first post again now, I see that you said "blank" and not "black." Do you have multiple monitors? Maybe Windows thinks you do and is trying to send all of your data to your second monitor. I've had that issue because Windows 8 handles multiple monitors differently from any other OS I've used, which is frustrating but it just means you need to switch things back to your main monitor. If that's the issue but you don't actually have a second monitor, you can use keyboard shortcuts to bring up your Display settings and move them to your primary (only) monitor. Of course, it could be something else. Hence, we collect as much data as possible.

A fresh install is still going to be the easiest way to start fresh, although without knowing what happened the first time we don't know that the issue won't recur.
#28turtlebeach21Posted 7/30/2014 4:14:01 AM
Lol Its not the computers fault you dont know how to do like the most basic thing on a pc - install an OS.
#29JohnMafiaPosted 7/30/2014 4:26:15 AM(edited)
You definitely need to be way more patient than you sound in these posts to enjoy a gaming PC. A person is lucky if they never have PC issues, specially when they build it or customize it. Specially if you aren't super savvy. But with a little patience, you can do it. There will be random things not working, it will take trial and error and other sorts of troubleshooting. Losing your mind and blaming one component repeatedly when people are giving you valid suggestions isn't going to help.

Just cause you found "massive" amounts of people on the internet with a similar issue doesn't really mean much. Every PC is different and many things can cause similar errors. And nothing is ever perfect. Your issue may very well be a Windows 8 issue. You seem convinced of that. So try what people here are saying. Try to do a fresh install.

Also it sounds like you bought a prebuilt. How long ago? If its still under warranty, I'd just take it back and have them fix it.

There's a reason consoles are so popular. Most people don't want to deal with these issues and having to troubleshoot and try to figure out the problem. Plug and play, it works or it doesn't. Gaming on the PC requires more patience.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#30SneakiestNegPosted 7/30/2014 5:06:31 AM
The reason why I switched to consoles is because I realised something: I like video games- not the tech that runs them. I prefer playing games to installing a new graphics card and downloading drivers.