This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people think Valve isn't greedy?

#1ORANGE666Posted 7/29/2014 9:56:42 PM
Every company exists to make a profit. The reason why they're able to sell pc games at a big discount is because publishers lower their cut and then pay Valve to put their sales on the front page. It's not like they're doing it because they're nice.

I've been playing CounterStrike GO for a year and it has greed written all over it. Knife drops are rare, I've never gotten one. I check the marketplace, $50 for the cheapest one, $400 for the most rare. Valve gets a cut of each sale.

I buy a $6 operation breakout DLC thinking I will get missions as an incentive to play and get rewards. I payed $6 to get maybe 1 mission every 5 hours, and then another hour to finish the mission, to get a common item. You would think I would be getting missions constantly for $6 even just for common items. When the only progress you get in the game is cosmetic, the drop rate should be much higher for regular items.

That's only 1 example. I facepalm every time I read that Valve is better than Sony or some other company What has Valve done to earn that? They saved PC gaming? It's the publisher's dropping profit margins. Valve hasn't done anything to deserve the praise they get, at the end of the day, steam sales earn them the most money, which is why they do it. Not because they want to give you cheap games
---
I am a Nintendo Fanboy and let me tell you, being a Drone is actually a great thing.
We have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like other fanboys
#2LvthnPosted 7/29/2014 9:58:05 PM
Because nobody minds if they make ridiculous money if they're also giving us awesome deals and publishers are making a great margin?

What, companies are only good companies if they're charities?
#3jake-sfPosted 7/29/2014 10:01:23 PM
I actually have despised the way they handle their games and their business models since TF2 moved from a normal game to its current F2P garbage.

In any case, Steam is always heavily defended, because thats just what happens. Its exactly like consoles. Its nice when you can get people you **** in the ass to defend you.

Of course, that just speaks of how Valve has a unique talent to do just enough things to appease people to their side. A lot of companies just know how to get hated, but Valve seems to know just where to push the right buttons.

Sad world we live in, though.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#4TimePharaohPosted 7/29/2014 10:01:29 PM
Valve giving out free colors for video game weapons that you can sell and make money from=dat evil satan
#5ORANGE666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2014 10:03:32 PM(edited)
Lvthn posted...
Because nobody minds if they make ridiculous money if they're also giving us awesome deals and publishers are making a great margin?

That isn't the point. I used sales as an example because that's what people use as a reason why they're the top gaming company.

Valve is 1 of the most greediest companies, you only have to look at Counterstrike Go and Team Fortress 2 to see an example of why. People complain about DLC, yet ignore Valve selling $6 DLC for what is essentially missions that rarely drop, that reward items with a low drop rate.
---
I am a Nintendo Fanboy and let me tell you, being a Drone is actually a great thing.
We have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like other fanboys
#6TimePharaohPosted 7/29/2014 10:05:00 PM
Oh wait this is real thing?

lol
#7LvthnPosted 7/29/2014 10:05:42 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
Lvthn posted...

That isn't the point. I used sales as an example because that's what people use as a reason why they're the top gaming company.

Valve is 1 of the most greediest companies, you only have to look at Counterstrike Go and Team Fortress 2 to see an example of why. People complain about DLC, yet ignore Valve selling $6 DLC for what is essentially missions that rarely drop, that reward items with a low drop rate.

TBH when I think of Valve I do not think of TF2 DLC. So that's probably why.
#8zen_miseryPosted 7/29/2014 10:05:50 PM
Nice bait mate.
---
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/wizco02/onlyway_zps4d85ea83.gif
#9ClouddxPosted 7/29/2014 10:07:27 PM
You don't need to buy the passes to have access to the maps, and the weapons skins are completely unnecessary... Nothing really to complain about. The skins and map packs are for people who want to support the constant development of the game. Unlike most games that get DLC and are forgotten about CS:GO and TF2 are still getting constant updates years after release.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#10arleasPosted 7/29/2014 10:08:21 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
Every company exists to make a profit. The reason why they're able to sell pc games at a big discount is because publishers lower their cut and then pay Valve to put their sales on the front page. It's not like they're doing it because they're nice.

I'm pretty sure Valve gets a percentage, not a flat fee... something like 30% to Valve, 70% to the developer/publisher.

The reason why they're able to sell PC games at a big discount is because it's all digital and the only real overhead cost is in bandwidth. They don't have to manufacture discs. They don't have to pay to store the manufactured discs. They don't have to pay to ship the manufactured discs to distributors. They don't have to pay the distributors... they don't have to pay the retailer...all they have to pay is Valve (because it's digital sales and distribution).

Now, if you compare that with physical discs, a $60 game means the developer sees maybe $10 of that... the rest is eaten up by all those other costs I talked about. If Valve can sell games at a big discount, it's because there's fewer middlemen and less overhead. Not because they're slitting their own throats to save the customer some money.

As for your CS:GO example, that's why they're selling the base game for as low as $5... I'm surprised they haven't just made it F2P already like they did with TF2. They sell the base game cheap and then all this extra fancy bull crap for a little here and a little there... why? Because every company exists to make a profit.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png