This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people think Valve isn't greedy?

#11robert022614Posted 7/29/2014 9:09:32 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
Lvthn posted...
Because nobody minds if they make ridiculous money if they're also giving us awesome deals and publishers are making a great margin?

What, companies are only good companies if they're charities?

That isn't the point. I used sales as an example because that's what people use as a reason why they're the top gaming company.

Valve is 1 of the most greediest companies, you only have to look at Counterstrike Go and Team Fortress 2 to see an example of why. People complain about DLC, yet ignore Valve selling $6 DLC for what is essentially missions that rarely drop, that reward items with a low drop rate.

answer is simple. dont buy the useless dlc and hats and shiny knifes. I dont.
#12Delta_F14Posted 7/29/2014 9:10:47 PM
jake-sf posted...
I actually have despised the way they handle their games and their business models since TF2 moved from a normal game to its current F2P garbage.

In any case, Steam is always heavily defended, because thats just what happens. Its exactly like consoles. Its nice when you can get people you **** in the ass to defend you.

Of course, that just speaks of how Valve has a unique talent to do just enough things to appease people to their side. A lot of companies just know how to get hated, but Valve seems to know just where to push the right buttons.

Sad world we live in, though.

TF2 is great, ya goofus.
---
Vault Dweller > All other Video game characters
#13rainedownPosted 7/29/2014 9:31:11 PM
I....I just don't know what you expect, TC. You bought a good game for cheap. They have to make money somewhere...isn't it better it be on things that wouldn't really effect you if you didn't (like aesthetic knives)?

I'd absolutely get the hate if this were a full priced game and there were micro transactions that were practically necessary, or if the micro transactions were more along the lines of locked guns, but they have to make money and this is one of the least intrusive ways to do so while still having the base game sell for cheap.
#14AsucaHayashiPosted 7/29/2014 10:19:26 PM
I....I just don't know what you expect, TC

pretty sure he expects lots of skins or knives he can sell from $50 to $400... i mean he's pretty much entitled to them since he paid 6 whole $.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#15ricosan1988Posted 7/29/2014 10:21:50 PM
So essentially you are angry because you don't get knife drops. They are rare, cry more
#16g7g7g7g7Posted 7/30/2014 3:28:36 AM
So you think valve are greedy because people are willing to throw money at them for pointless gimmicky game items.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#17ElementalWindPosted 7/30/2014 4:04:10 AM
I think it's more likely TC thinks Valve is greedy because they put so much of their dev work into those pointless gimmicky game items.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#18xSetZerPosted 7/30/2014 5:22:26 AM
They took a game I loved dearly (Quake Team Fortress) and effectively ruined it in my eyes but I never even questioned them. The last refuge of a scorned gamer I suppose.
#19ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 5:22:35 AM
ElementalWind posted...
think it's more likely TC thinks Valve is greedy because they put so much of their dev work into those pointless gimmicky game items.

Except most of those items are player made... >_>
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#20RaikouenPosted 7/30/2014 5:43:32 AM
Lvthn posted...
Because nobody minds if they make ridiculous money if they're also giving us awesome deals and publishers are making a great margin?

What, companies are only good companies if they're charities?

Outside of sales, their prices are atrocious and generally, aside from EA's content of course, sets the MSRP of all PC games.

You can get a new copy of MW3 with the first DLC pack for $30 standard in store for consoles? Regular copy of PC version is still $40 because that's what it is on Steam.

Black Ops 2's MSRP for consoles dropped to $50? Still $60 on PC because Steam.

Skyrim is $30 on console? $40 on PC because Steam.

See a trend forming?