This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people think Valve isn't greedy?

#31RaikouenPosted 7/30/2014 7:19:29 AM
clowning posted...
Valve's non-sale prices are very high. I rarely buy anything on Steam because I can almost always find the game for less elsewhere.

Their sales are pretty good, but usually the games that go on sale I either already have or don't want. So I don't have many games on Steam, and some require Steam, but I didn't buy through Steam.

I find Valve to be incredibly over-rated.

100% agreed.

The ease of access to games is nice, but the notions that it's always cheaper and that "all Steam sales are amazing" is complete crap IMO, especially for this past Summer Sale they had.
#32ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 7:24:16 AM(edited)
Raikouen posted...
Oh so you find some copies cheaper, likely on websites where 3rd parties are the sellers? That totally makes up for Steam's atrocious prices and essentially setting the MSRP for most PC games.

Once again, Valve doesn't set the prices the DEVELOPERS do. I don't understand why that's hard to grasp. It's the devs that are greedy not Valve.

Valve doesn't set prices for games.
You keep blaming Valve for the pricing on games.

It doesn't make any sense.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#33Worknofun370Posted 7/30/2014 7:27:16 AM
Clouddx posted...

He's trolling. At that point it makes perfect sense.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#34ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 7:29:20 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Clouddx posted...

Ah, It makes sense now. I remember him from a while back, I think he's a troll from the console forums.
---
#35RaikouenPosted 7/30/2014 7:35:14 AM
Clouddx posted...
Raikouen posted...
Oh so you find some copies cheaper, likely on websites where 3rd parties are the sellers? That totally makes up for Steam's atrocious prices and essentially setting the MSRP for most PC games.

Once again, Valve doesn't set the prices the DEVELOPERS do. I don't understand why that's hard to grasp. It's the devs that are greedy not Valve.

Why do people praise Valve for Steam sales if Valve doesn't set the prices?

And if developers set prices (by the way, it'd be PUBLISHERS that would do this, not devs), why are they generally higher on Steam than even PSN and Xbox Live? Don't believe me? Go look on there, you can get MW3 with DLC for $40, BOps2 with DLC for $50 on PSN yet on Steam the base games are, again, $40 and $60 respectively.
#36RaikouenPosted 7/30/2014 7:36:54 AM
Clouddx posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
Clouddx posted...

Ah, It makes sense now. I remember him from a while back, I think he's a troll from the console forums.

Oh really? Humor me. Show me where I've been trolling. I'll wait.

You can't, because I haven't trolled. Unless you claim when I said that using a thumbstick is easier for movement than a keyboard but a mouse is overall better than a thumbstick for aiming, which others agreed with me as well, trolling.
#37MahoganyTooth92Posted 7/30/2014 7:37:36 AM
LMAO I can't believe people are saying TF2 F2P is garbage

Weapons are hyper-cheap and super-common when trading. The only stuff that costs much money is cosmetic.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#38ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 7:44:20 AM
Raikouen posted...
Clouddx posted...
Raikouen posted...

Why do people praise Valve for Steam sales if Valve doesn't set the prices?

And if developers set prices (by the way, it'd be PUBLISHERS that would do this, not devs), why are they generally higher on Steam than even PSN and Xbox Live? Don't believe me? Go look on there, you can get MW3 with DLC for $40, BOps2 with DLC for $50 on PSN yet on Steam the base games are, again, $40 and $60 respectively.

Okay, the publishers set the price. My point still Stands, Valve doesn't set the prices. Even sale prices are set by the publishers.

So don't blame Valve when sale prices suck, or prices are high in general it's not like they have control over it.
---
#39clowningPosted 7/30/2014 7:45:11 AM
Developers do not set pricing. Publishers set a suggested price. Stores can sell the game for whatever they want.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#40ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 7:49:08 AM(edited)
clowning posted...
Developers do not set pricing. Publishers set a suggested price. Stores can sell the game for whatever they want.

From Valves FAQ:
3. Who sets the price for my game on Steam?

Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help you decide on what the best price is for your title. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.

and

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/02/27/steam-grants-publishers-the-ability-to-set-their-own-sales/
---