This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people think Valve isn't greedy?

#51SmoboHashPosted 7/30/2014 8:41:57 AM(edited)
So offering the entire gameplay experience of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive for $5 or less many times makes them greedy just because they offer the ability to also pay for cosmetics? TF2 is the same way, you can get all of the weapons in the game without paying a cent, although most people would recommend spending 10 cents to get your account given Premium status so you have less limits of trading.
#52bigbadharryPosted 7/30/2014 8:50:10 AM
I wouldn't mind so much if they were an actual game company (knowing that my money will be used to develop new and interesting games)

But they hardly make games anymore or anything worth buying.The money just goes towards Gaben's pudding fund.

Always buy somewhere else if you can.
#53KillerTrufflePosted 7/30/2014 8:50:44 AM(edited)
People like the TC will look for any excuse to bash on Valve. This is one of the more ridiculous reasons tho. Arguments like "it's DRM" carry more weight.

First, who has *ever* claimed Valve isn't in it for the money? They're a business. Of course they're in it for the money, and if you think otherwise, well, you need to wake up and smell the real world.

The bottom line is that Valve has some of the best sale prices in gaming, it has them *often*, and developers tend to see much higher profits by selling on Steam than they do other methods - even with Valve taking a percentage of every sale.

Also, I'm curious where the TC got information that devs supposedly pay Valve to be placed on the front page. Not only does that not follow with anything I've ever seen, but it simply doesn't make sense. Where's evidence for that claim?

It sounds to me more like TC is just butthurt about something - who knows what - and felt like making a rather ridiculous accusation backed up by non-facts. Of *course* Valve is in it for the money. How does that make them evil? Particularly when we get such great prices on things? The main complaint I see is about CS:GO and how you don't get enough unnecessary cosmetic stuff for your money. It's f***ing unnecessary! Who cares? Crying that they don't give you enough free stuff just makes YOU look a lot more greedy than Valve. Companies don't exist for the purpose of giving you free s***.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#54GoldninjaPosted 7/30/2014 8:58:39 AM
Reading this thread nearly gave me retinal cancer. Especially the trolling going on (either that or some people with severe reading comprehension problems).
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#55clowningPosted 7/30/2014 9:00:55 AM
Clouddx posted...
clowning posted...
Clouddx posted...
clowning posted...
Developers do not set pricing. Publishers set a suggested price. Stores can sell the game for whatever they want.

From Valves FAQ:
3. Who sets the price for my game on Steam?

Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help you decide on what the best price is for your title. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.

and

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/02/27/steam-grants-publishers-the-ability-to-set-their-own-sales/

I'm glad you posted that, since it says exactly what I did. the funny part, is that you don't realize it. Amusing.

The funny part is I do realize it I was posting official links to back up what you were saying, but thanks for acting like a condescending jackass.

Amusing.

Then...why quote me as if you were arguing? Makes no sense.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#56SleepComaPosted 7/30/2014 9:00:56 AM
Goldninja posted...
Reading this thread nearly gave me retinal cancer. Especially the trolling going on (either that or some people with severe reading comprehension problems).

Seriously except it gave me anal cancer =/
---
http://gfycat.com/FoolishThinIslandwhistler
#57KillerTrufflePosted 7/30/2014 9:03:27 AM
clowning posted...

The quote feature is not used *only* to argue... It is also used to state agreement, or, as was the case here, to post supporting evidence. I don't recall any rule that quote can only be used for arguing. :P
---
#58Bane766Posted 7/30/2014 9:06:13 AM
I'd say greedy is a strong word to use. They are a for profit company, yes. Greedy? I don't see that. They don't price gouge like EA, Activision, or UBI (or other companies). They have 2 amazing f2p games that everything in them can be gained in game (DOTA2 and TF2) and they have some great sales several times a year (and yes other places now have good sales as well, but Steam mostly started these huge sales).
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
#59clowningPosted 7/30/2014 9:09:35 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
clowning posted...

The quote feature is not used *only* to argue... It is also used to state agreement, or, as was the case here, to post supporting evidence. I don't recall any rule that quote can only be used for arguing. :P

Obviously.... But the way he posted it, it looked as if he was trying to argue with me. There was no indication that he was agreeing or supporting what I said from his own comments. If I misunderstood, so be it, no big deal.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#60KillerTrufflePosted 7/30/2014 9:11:25 AM
clowning posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
clowning posted...

Obviously.... But the way he posted it, it looked as if he was trying to argue with me. There was no indication that he was agreeing or supporting what I said from his own comments. If I misunderstood, so be it, no big deal.

Well, considering his response listed evidence saying exactly the same thing you said, I'm thinking you might be the only person who felt that way. I see no evidence he was trying to argue with you.
---