This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people think Valve isn't greedy?

#61GunmaN1905Posted 7/30/2014 9:15:51 AM(edited)
I didn't really read the topic, but @TC.

You can play csgo and dota, 2 of the best and most balanced competitive games right now for 0$ if you exclude purchase of csgo itself.
You won't lose anything if you don't pay for extras, in both games everything you buy is purely cosmetic.
Did valve knife prices? No. People who sell them did. Do you really need a karambit to play CS better or an asiimov m4? No you don't. So stop acting like a kid that's angry because he can't have something that's basically useless and play the game.
#62Chosen_one_41Posted 7/30/2014 9:21:07 AM
Valve has given me Left 4 Dead 2, Portal and TF2 for free on steam and I have even sold my TF2 weapons for money and bought a few games on sale for free with the money. Valve is practically giving away money, how is that greedy? Not to mention steam sales in general.
---
www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm not a real gamer, I actually enjoy playing games
#63Orestes417Posted 7/30/2014 9:22:24 AM
If Valve were greedy they'd get off their asses and release HL3, in a $333 dollar edition that includes 3 cheeseburgers and a 1/3rd size mold of gaben's ass to kiss for speeding up HL4.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#64TropicMoon10Posted 7/30/2014 9:45:47 AM(edited)
I've bought hundreds of dollars worth of Steam games from just trading TF2 items over the years to real people without spending a cent of real cash.

Greediness or not, Valve's business practices are always the most innovative and beneficial to the consumer. I would be an idiot to complain about them.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#65ConsumerWarningPosted 7/30/2014 9:46:44 AM
I don't get it, people hate DRM but love Steam....
---
The 80's are over and the conservatives lost.
#66KillerTrufflePosted 7/30/2014 9:49:37 AM
ConsumerWarning posted...
I don't get it, people hate DRM but love Steam....

I was wondering why it took so long for this tired old argument to show up.

Yes, people can hate DRM but love Steam much like they can hate Hot Topic but love the mall. Just because Steam has a DRM *option* available to devs/producers doesn't mean "Steam = DRM." If you need any more proof, close Steam completely and go load up a game you know for sure doesn't use Steamworks DRM. Steam won't load at all - you can play the game without Steam. If you think Steam is DRM, explain that.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#67JKatarnPosted 7/30/2014 11:06:22 AM
I love how TC makes one post and then never returns to the thread. He was obviously PO'd about his droprate and so thought he'd make a troll thread. I think Valve will do whatever they can to make more money, they're a company, though as far as individual game prices are concerned, that's more the province of the individual publishers than Valve. I don't understand people bashing/defending a company, I buy the games I'm interested in on the storefront that will give me the best price. I can't say what longterm effects Steam will have on the PC game market, positive or negative, but they seem to offer good deals and the niceties in their client now. Not that I think Steam/Valve are perfect, far from it, but it meets my needs ATM.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#68ChromaticAngelPosted 7/30/2014 2:14:41 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
When the only progress you get in the game is cosmetic, the drop rate should be much higher for regular items.

No, When the only progress you get is cosmetic, there is no reason to progress. You can stop "progressing" at any time and you won't be at a disadvantage to those who pay assloads of money every day on CS:GO. Therefore, they can make the drop rate whatever they want since it's a totally optional system.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divinity 2 http://www.gog.com/game/divinity_2_developers_cut
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/9ULqSth8
#69DanPatrickPosted 7/30/2014 5:05:41 PM
because they're stupid and weak minded
they've been brainwashed.
just look at the topic.
those poor brainwashed souls
#70Hicks233Posted 7/30/2014 5:34:26 PM
As long as Valve continue getting 30% they'll keep pushing drm and doing a minimum with the client. They're a company so of course they're out to make a profit. If they further implement microtransactions and further tertiary and optional revenue streams to skim off that suckers go for then they'll only keep on doing it. Doesn't matter if you're Valve, EA, Ubisoft or Activision - they're all at it. Valve just has a fervent group tongue punching its fart box to defend them

They've got little incentive to unshackle games from the drm aspect or rollback steamworks restrictions, little likelihood of removing drm from their back catalogue and they'll continue squeezing as long as people continue to give them money.

They're no more or less greedy than any for profit entity.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em