This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Semi-casual MMO fun for coop?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/29/2014 11:48:24 PM
Me and a couple of my friends want a game with a big world that we can advance in and explore, just having fun. Nothing that requires dedication, but if we want to do something serious or challenging the option to have that would be nice.

MMOs like World of Warcraft are kind of out of that because it's so old and mature now that it's kind of weird for new players, and it seems more oriented for the bigger picture, like guilds. Not two or three guys just wanting to have fun.

Also, we all have jobs and can't dedicate huge chunks of time to specific games. Games that require dedication/a lot of grinding are out.

An MMO with a story, unique setting, and/or good graphics would be appealing to us. The cost isn't really a problem unless the game is heavily pay-to-win.

Thanks for any recommendations!
---
Steam: Sydite
#2ClouddxPosted 7/29/2014 11:49:16 PM
Guild Wars 2
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#3Cool_Dude667Posted 7/30/2014 12:04:57 AM(edited)
Elder Scrolls Online is basically the epitome of what you are asking for, GW2 doesn't offer much group synergy and the lack of the holy trinity (tank/dps/healer archetypes) left a giant void that was never filled.

The questing in ESO fantastic and varied, tons of unique zones, pretty good graphics for a MMO, and character progression is fine. The only problem you might have is when your friends choose a different option during a quest you might have to 'rephase' into their questline, but I havent had much trouble with this if you just open the party menu and hit "transport to party member"

If you like dungeon exploring or PVP this is the MMO for you

I really hope you atleast check out a video or two of the gameplay/questing/pvp, the base game is fantastic but the upcoming content patches are sorely missed. (things like the PvP public dungeon, some of the guilds, the Justice system, more raids, etc)

Give it a look, I dont think you will be disappointed.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#4Freedan12Posted 7/30/2014 12:04:31 AM
Planetside 2.
#5VanUltimaPosted 7/30/2014 12:10:59 AM
Dungeon fighter online when it opens up again. Pretty causal and a lot of fun.
---
CM HAF 912/FX-8320 @3.5 GHz/Asus M5A97 LE R2.0/HIS IceQ Turbo HD 7870 2GB/16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Ram/OCZ ModXstream 500W/120GB SSD 1TB HDD/H70 Cooler
#6TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 12:43:15 AM
I'm looking into Guild Wars 2 and the reviews and gameplay I'm seeing looks pretty appealing.

I've played the ESO beta and seen a lot of stuff on it and it just doesn't really appeal to me. I enjoy some PvP but from what I've seen that's where the game truly shines, I prefer PvE with some PvP here and there.

And I know this is off-topic, but how is Divinity: Original Sin in terms of gameplay, co-op, and story?
---
Steam: Sydite
#7ClouddxPosted 7/30/2014 12:48:06 AM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
I'm looking into Guild Wars 2 and the reviews and gameplay I'm seeing looks pretty appealing.

I've played the ESO beta and seen a lot of stuff on it and it just doesn't really appeal to me. I enjoy some PvP but from what I've seen that's where the game truly shines, I prefer PvE with some PvP here and there.

And I know this is off-topic, but how is Divinity: Original Sin in terms of gameplay, co-op, and story?

D:OS is extremely fun especially in Co-oP. If you can find someone else who enjoys that type of game you'll have countless hours of fun.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#80cu_87Posted 7/30/2014 2:50:08 AM
Guild Wars 2 is the best call here.

No hard gear treadmill, massive world and many ways to level, PvE, PvP or WvWvW.
Also, there won't be any problems if you or your mate outlevel each other because you will be scaled down to lower areas.
---
"A mine is like a lover. You have to be gentle, so she welcomes you moist and hot." - Sheldon Skaggs, Witcher 2
#9majinbuu58Posted 7/30/2014 3:46:37 AM
SWTOR or WoW is what you're looking for. MMOs only require dedication if you want to do the newest raid..
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64
#10PhilOnDezPosted 7/30/2014 4:26:47 AM
Defiance is pretty fun, I'll get addicted to it for a few days every couple of months while I burn through all the new content.

For the most part it's just a matter of shooting everything til it dies, though with even just 2-3 working on the same quest the enemies start scaling extremely quickly so teamwork helps a lot. It's not pay to win but if you want a real challenge at least one of your group will need the ark breaker DLC, or you'll have to watch chat and find someone calling down the Warmaster's Arkfall. He was already tough and then they did a massive rebalance that made him tougher to fight, then buffed him anyway and improved the rewards for beating him. They also added another super boss recently for all players but I haven't played since then to see how tough he actually is.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez