This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Im pretty sure my Laptop is starting to die, How boned am i?

#1hk7111Posted 7/30/2014 7:04:02 PM
Long story short(Ish) i think planes hate me because every time i fly with my laptop something dies. First time my HDD died, so i figured SSD's would prevent that, Now sometimes when i start up i get weird colored lines, tearing and sometimes parts dont move for a few seconds and are distorted. Also when i close the lid it occasionally decides to keep running at 100% and pumps out a crap ton of heat and drains the battery, and lastly the WiFi only decides to work after i mess with it for a bit.

Laptop is a Lenovo y580. I have No warrenty or anything. Any idea if there is something i can do to fix it or am i SOL and stuck having to buy a replacement?
---
Steam: Hk1777, Gtag: RAlNB0W D4SH (Yes its an L) Psn: hk1777
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros (Not joking)
#2SilentHawk29Posted 7/30/2014 7:23:24 PM
Sounds mostly gpu related. Maybe hunt down a laptop repair shop.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#3hk7111(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 7:33:52 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Sounds mostly gpu related. Maybe hunt down a laptop repair shop.

Thats what i had been thinking, i live in a ruralish area with a bunch of farmland next to a highway and the closest thing to a computer repair shop is a bestbuy, which just LolNope.

I also considered just saying screw it to a gaming laptop and grabbing something more portable, like a macbook air or something, open to suggestions there too.
---
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros (Not joking)
#4almightydunPosted 7/30/2014 9:46:02 PM
My suggestion would be to build a high end desktop and grab a net book / cheap laptop for traveling and only play cheapo games on the road. Best way to go honestly. That way if you lose/break your traveling PC you aren't out a ton of change and you have everything backed up on your desktop at the homestead.
---
DO NOT BE ASHAMED FOR PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
Embrace the experience and share it with everyone you can.
#5hk7111(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 9:49:04 PM
almightydun posted...
My suggestion would be to build a high end desktop and grab a net book / cheap laptop for traveling and only play cheapo games on the road. Best way to go honestly. That way if you lose/break your traveling PC you aren't out a ton of change and you have everything backed up on your desktop at the homestead.

Already have a Nice Desktop with an i7 4790K, 16Gb Ram and a R9 280X, so im covered there.

Mostly thinking about Ultra books if i replace it because im a bit tired of how heavy this is, but want something that can do more than my iPad.
---
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone5s, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros, LG G3
#6Snagg57Posted 7/31/2014 7:06:32 AM
Surface Pro 3 (The one with a real i5/i7) can fit the bill if your looking for a iPad type formfactor, otherwise checkout the Acer Aspire-392 or any of the ASUS Zenbooks.
#7DoramiPosted 7/31/2014 7:38:17 AM
Since your problems seem to arise because of travels, I suggest that you either
1. grab a really cheap (<$500) ultraportable and replace the HDD with a SSD (to preserve your data). Treat it as a disposable computer that you replace 1-2 years.

2. get a sturdy business class laptop for $1000+ (replace HDD with a SSD to preserve your data). Treat it as a long term investment that will last 5+ years.

Ultrabooks give you the worst of both worlds by being about as expensive as a business laptop but with the brittle construction of a dirty cheap laptop.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
FC: 3840-7579-4179 | Pokemon X IGN: Jing | Safari: Snorunt, Bergmite, Piloswine
#8SinisterSlayPosted 7/31/2014 7:42:01 AM
Dorami posted...
1. grab a really cheap (<$500) ultraportable and replace the HDD with a SSD (to preserve your data). Treat it as a disposable computer that you replace 1-2 years.

2. get a sturdy business class laptop for $1000+ (replace HDD with a SSD to preserve your data). Treat it as a long term investment that will last 5+ years.

Ultrabooks give you the worst of both worlds by being about as expensive as a business laptop but with the brittle construction of a dirty cheap laptop.

I agree, I'd get a cheap netbook that you won't worry about getting trashed in the airports or stolen.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9hk7111(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 10:19:16 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Dorami posted...

I agree, I'd get a cheap netbook that you won't worry about getting trashed in the airports or stolen.

I only tend to travel once or twice a year, it just happens to be the time that things happen to my laptop.

Main reason of thinking about an ultrabook is for Schoolwork, and that im tired of heavy laptops.
---
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone5s, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros, LG G3
#10Talinthis2Posted 8/2/2014 7:03:20 PM
my buddy built something like falcon northwests fragbox.. its pretty damn impressive, and it is the size of a pepsi bottle for height and its the same width and depth as my gaming keyboard. but it is not a laptop so it has nothing to do with this thread!

10.5" W x 15.75" D x 8.25" H .. tiny