This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Im pretty sure my Laptop is starting to die, How boned am i?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Im pretty sure my Laptop is starting to die, How boned am i?
2 years ago#1
Long story short(Ish) i think planes hate me because every time i fly with my laptop something dies. First time my HDD died, so i figured SSD's would prevent that, Now sometimes when i start up i get weird colored lines, tearing and sometimes parts dont move for a few seconds and are distorted. Also when i close the lid it occasionally decides to keep running at 100% and pumps out a crap ton of heat and drains the battery, and lastly the WiFi only decides to work after i mess with it for a bit.

Laptop is a Lenovo y580. I have No warrenty or anything. Any idea if there is something i can do to fix it or am i SOL and stuck having to buy a replacement?
Steam: Hk1777, Gtag: RAlNB0W D4SH (Yes its an L) Psn: hk1777
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros (Not joking)
2 years ago#2
Sounds mostly gpu related. Maybe hunt down a laptop repair shop.
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
2 years ago#3
SilentHawk29 posted...
Sounds mostly gpu related. Maybe hunt down a laptop repair shop.

Thats what i had been thinking, i live in a ruralish area with a bunch of farmland next to a highway and the closest thing to a computer repair shop is a bestbuy, which just LolNope.

I also considered just saying screw it to a gaming laptop and grabbing something more portable, like a macbook air or something, open to suggestions there too.
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros (Not joking)
2 years ago#4
My suggestion would be to build a high end desktop and grab a net book / cheap laptop for traveling and only play cheapo games on the road. Best way to go honestly. That way if you lose/break your traveling PC you aren't out a ton of change and you have everything backed up on your desktop at the homestead.
DO NOT BE ASHAMED FOR PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
Embrace the experience and share it with everyone you can.
2 years ago#5
almightydun posted...
My suggestion would be to build a high end desktop and grab a net book / cheap laptop for traveling and only play cheapo games on the road. Best way to go honestly. That way if you lose/break your traveling PC you aren't out a ton of change and you have everything backed up on your desktop at the homestead.

Already have a Nice Desktop with an i7 4790K, 16Gb Ram and a R9 280X, so im covered there.

Mostly thinking about Ultra books if i replace it because im a bit tired of how heavy this is, but want something that can do more than my iPad.
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone5s, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros, LG G3
2 years ago#6
Surface Pro 3 (The one with a real i5/i7) can fit the bill if your looking for a iPad type formfactor, otherwise checkout the Acer Aspire-392 or any of the ASUS Zenbooks.
2 years ago#7
Since your problems seem to arise because of travels, I suggest that you either
1. grab a really cheap (<$500) ultraportable and replace the HDD with a SSD (to preserve your data). Treat it as a disposable computer that you replace 1-2 years.

2. get a sturdy business class laptop for $1000+ (replace HDD with a SSD to preserve your data). Treat it as a long term investment that will last 5+ years.

Ultrabooks give you the worst of both worlds by being about as expensive as a business laptop but with the brittle construction of a dirty cheap laptop.
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
FC: 3840-7579-4179 | Pokemon X IGN: Jing | Safari: Snorunt, Bergmite, Piloswine
2 years ago#8
Dorami posted...
1. grab a really cheap (<$500) ultraportable and replace the HDD with a SSD (to preserve your data). Treat it as a disposable computer that you replace 1-2 years.

2. get a sturdy business class laptop for $1000+ (replace HDD with a SSD to preserve your data). Treat it as a long term investment that will last 5+ years.

Ultrabooks give you the worst of both worlds by being about as expensive as a business laptop but with the brittle construction of a dirty cheap laptop.

I agree, I'd get a cheap netbook that you won't worry about getting trashed in the airports or stolen.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
2 years ago#9
SinisterSlay posted...
Dorami posted...

I agree, I'd get a cheap netbook that you won't worry about getting trashed in the airports or stolen.

I only tend to travel once or twice a year, it just happens to be the time that things happen to my laptop.

Main reason of thinking about an ultrabook is for Schoolwork, and that im tired of heavy laptops.
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone5s, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros, LG G3
2 years ago#10
my buddy built something like falcon northwests fragbox.. its pretty damn impressive, and it is the size of a pepsi bottle for height and its the same width and depth as my gaming keyboard. but it is not a laptop so it has nothing to do with this thread!

10.5" W x 15.75" D x 8.25" H .. tiny
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Im pretty sure my Laptop is starting to die, How boned am i?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived