This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who has been the most influential PC (primarily) developers?

#21supermegabloxPosted 7/30/2014 11:36:51 PM
valve because of steam.
---
Not changing this sig until a new Jet Set Radio game or JSRF remakes announced. Started 7/26/2014
Vita>WiiU>3DS>PS2>Xbox360>PS3
#22Blobs_Posted 7/30/2014 11:40:40 PM
It was a really close tie between id and Valve...

I chose Valve though because obviously, I'm a Valve fanboy.
---
is haha
#23DragonAtmaPosted 7/30/2014 11:58:43 PM
EA -- but not in a good way. Just think of all the series they casually murdered.
---
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?
#24TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/31/2014 12:12:28 AM
I voted id, then noticed you specifically mentioned PC gaming, not gaming in general.

Why I vote id for gaming in general (just one example of many):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/Quake_-_family_tree.svg/450px-Quake_-_family_tree.svg.png

Why I vote Valve for PC gaming:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_steam_4__110
---
Steam: Sydite
#25kblaze13Posted 7/31/2014 1:23:07 AM
jedinat posted...
developers?" DEVELOPERS. As in makers of games. If the last word had been excluded you might be correct.

actually developers refers to those that write the software, not just games specifically.

so the question is vaguely worded if he wanted GAME DEVELOPERS he should've specified.

Valve isn't the most influntial in either case but as far as developers go of software of those listed (not choosing other) Valve is the most influential. Gamewise however I'd have to say Id or SSI.
---
Iightningz posted...
I hate Lightning.
#2613year_old_girlPosted 7/31/2014 1:24:17 AM
what exactly has Valve influenced?
---
hi I'm 13 and i love being random! be random with me <:)
#27jernasPosted 7/31/2014 1:30:07 AM
13year_old_girl posted...
what exactly has Valve influenced?

Valve's cutscene-free narrative and scripting techniques have been very influential. Just not as influential as one of a handful of developers in existence that can legitimately claim to have created an entire genre.
---
I dislike blacks.
#28krayziejoePosted 7/31/2014 1:41:29 AM
My vote goes with id software, for reasons already stated by others. While they may not have invented the FPS genre, they certainly brought it into the mainstream with Wolfenstein 3D (and Doom 18 months later). They also created one of my favourite platform series, Commander Keen. I felt this game stood apart from all the other platformers that were also on the market at the time. Dunno why, my 8 year old brain wasn't terribly analytic, but they're my favs.

As for Blizzard, they've done some great work, particularly in the RTS and ARPG markets, but I struggle to accept they brought the genres into mainstream. Westwood beat Blizzard to RTS with Dune 2, and Diablo.... Well, technically they didn't develop it. They bought the studio who developed it (to be renamed Blizzard North) and the franchise potential that came with it.

As for Valve. Again, everything's been said by others, but essentially I'd say they're not influential DEVELOPERS. The games they developed are *all* golden to me, wonderful experiences and definitely replayable. But I wouldn't call them influential.

That said, ask me again in 5 years and I might say Valve. They're definitely the company who I hope to be most influential as a developer, in particular the way they're demonstrating to the industry that F2P modeled games can be released without gameplay restrictions (ie aesthetics are the only money-sinks), without out-of-house advertising or sponsorship, and with ongoing support (talking about Dota2 here)
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#29jedinatPosted 7/31/2014 1:50:42 AM(edited)
kblaze13 posted...
jedinat posted...
developers?" DEVELOPERS. As in makers of games. If the last word had been excluded you might be correct.

actually developers refers to those that write the software, not just games specifically.

so the question is vaguely worded if he wanted GAME DEVELOPERS he should've specified.

Valve isn't the most influntial in either case but as far as developers go of software of those listed (not choosing other) Valve is the most influential. Gamewise however I'd have to say Id or SSI.

We're talking about game developers here. You took the semantics game one step too far. "PC developers" vs "console" developers. It's implied, obviously. Look at TC's descriptions; the topic is game development.
#30FlakconPosted 7/31/2014 2:03:23 AM
A few on my list;

Crytek (although they went down the drain when the abomination known as Crysis 2 got released but you can't ignore the waves Crysis made.)

LucasArts

Blizzard

Valve

Turtlerock Studios

Interplay

id

EpicGames (Unreal tournament anyone?)

Sierra
---
PSN: theSkarekro [Hailing from Singapore!]
AE2012: Adon Sagat Yang | Tekken: Kazuya Law Jin