This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Major in Computer Engineering or Comp sci?

#1TwiliLord666Posted 7/30/2014 7:29:51 PM
I'm an entering freshman and I'm having trouble deciding which path to take. I took AP CS in high school and did well enough in it. I'm pretty good in math and I enjoy it, so I know I want to do something in engineering, with computers in particular.

I'm aware that CompE is a lot of electrical engineering, which is a fairly hard subject. I'm tryharding no matter what, so I'm sure I can handle it. As for CS, it's more theory and discrete math, which, tbh sounds a bit unamusing. I liked what AP CS taught but it was intro stuff. Hardware sounds more interesting, but idk.

Idk how many people on GameFAQs took the major or have degrees, but I'm just looking for advice or tips.
---
Your posts are carcinogenic.
#2Erg0nPosted 7/30/2014 7:38:03 PM
Out of the 2, get Computer Engineering and get your PEng. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Electrical engineering and any discipline related to it is one of the most demanded jobs in the market. We got Comp eng and electrical eng guys here making 120k and the ones who are PEng are making 160k with end of year bonuses.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9Kj6EkR.gif
"The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted." - Hannibal
#3TwiliLord666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 7:44:00 PM
Erg0n posted...
Out of the 2, get Computer Engineering and get your PEng. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Electrical engineering and any discipline related to it is one of the most demanded jobs in the market. We got Comp eng and electrical eng guys here making 120k and the ones who are PEng are making 160k with end of year bonuses.

That's the licensing exam right? I'm leaning more towards CE really. But I've heard that for CE you don't need the license because most jobs don't require it. Idk if it's worth studying for the exam.. I do plan on interning though, as my college guarantees it over summers if I do well.
---
#4majinbuu58Posted 7/30/2014 7:44:34 PM
Go with CE. Its in higher demand and you have a lot of job options, as you can get CS or EE jobs
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64
#5Erg0nPosted 7/30/2014 7:54:08 PM
TwiliLord666 posted...
Erg0n posted...

That's the licensing exam right? I'm leaning more towards CE really. But I've heard that for CE you don't need the license because most jobs don't require it. Idk if it's worth studying for the exam.. I do plan on interning though, as my college guarantees it over summers if I do well.

yeah the licensing exam. Just because most jobs don't require it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
It sets you apart from the rest of the engineers and you can demand a higher pay compared to an engineer who isn't a PEng.

Hell in my job its not required, but they will pay 40k more just to have that designation for doing the exact same job. It's crazy. To put things in perspective I have a Masters in Comp Sci and make around 140k while the engineers are making 160k with a Bachelors and a PEng and we do the same ****. I'm getting screwed
---
http://i.imgur.com/9Kj6EkR.gif
"The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted." - Hannibal
#6Nousername96Posted 7/30/2014 7:56:17 PM
Erg0n posted...
TwiliLord666 posted...
Erg0n posted...

yeah the licensing exam. Just because most jobs don't require it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
It sets you apart from the rest of the engineers and you can demand a higher pay compared to an engineer who isn't a PEng.

Hell in my job its not required, but they will pay 40k more just to have that designation for doing the exact same job. It's crazy. To put things in perspective I have a Masters in Comp Sci and make around 140k while the engineers are making 160k with a Bachelors and a PEng and we do the same ****. I'm getting screwed

Not trying to pry into your personal details, but location? And is this an entry level job, or have you had a few different jobs beforehand to get it? Because that is WELL above what I've heard the median pay is
#7TwiliLord666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 7:57:50 PM
Oh I see. I guess it is worth it. Do I take the Peng after undergrad or after grad school? I'm planning to get a master's most likely. What's the typical entry salary? I'd love to work for Nvidia, but that's just my dream.
---
#813year_old_girlPosted 7/30/2014 8:11:19 PM
my advice is don't take advice that will determine the rest of your life from people on video game message boards

wait...
---
hi I'm 13 and i love being random! be random with me <:)
#9TwiliLord666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 8:20:36 PM
13year_old_girl posted...
my advice is don't take advice that will determine the rest of your life from people on video game message boards

wait...

lol I know, I'm just hearing what people have to say. If I don't like it, I'll switch. Not gonna force myself into something I hate.
---
#10BIastPosted 7/30/2014 8:25:06 PM
ECE.

Boatloads of people know how to program software . A very small number of them know hardware
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876