This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Major in Computer Engineering or Comp sci?

#11blax34dmPosted 7/30/2014 9:26:30 PM
Do finance instead. Go to HBS, make millions.
#12TwiliLord666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 9:30:14 PM
BIast posted...
ECE.

Boatloads of people know how to program software . A very small number of them know hardware

Good point.
blax34dm posted...
Do finance instead. Go to HBS, make millions.

Considered going into business. Decided against it.
---
Your posts are carcinogenic.
#13AcquirePosted 7/30/2014 9:45:13 PM
Choose the one you enjoy best. Don't choose one because it may give you slightly more money. Both are in high demand and both will get you good pay. I have a BS in computer science and hated the few computer engineering classes I had to take. I very much enjoyed the science aspect of computer science and focused on software engineering.

I've only been out of school for 3 years and am making $110k. Most of my friends that were also in computer science are actually making a bit more than me. if you're good you can easily break the six figure mark in your mid twenties.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#14DragnfyrPosted 7/30/2014 10:15:26 PM
BIast posted...
ECE.

Boatloads of people know how to program software . A very small number of them know hardware

The number of hardware related jobs is a lot lower too though so it's all proportional. Also my dad works as a software developer and he has had to interview a number of people to hire in the past and he says that in general ECE grads are poorer at programming compared to CS grads.

I would say if you want to work with hardware then do computer engineering. If you want to do software then take CS. If you want to be an engineer but also prefer software then see if your school offers a software engineering program.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#15DanPatrickPosted 7/30/2014 11:33:06 PM
be a doctor. make parents proud. you will be shame on family if not doctor or lawyer.
world needs doctors not computers
actually do some good and help people for once in your life
#1613year_old_girlPosted 7/30/2014 11:41:19 PM
DanPatrick posted...
be a doctor. make parents proud. you will be shame on family if not doctor or lawyer.
world needs doctors not computers
actually do some good and help people for once in your life

doctors help keep overpopulation a reality

engineers build weapons and robots that kill people
---
hi I'm 13 and i love being random! be random with me <:)
#17Treason686Posted 7/31/2014 9:17:18 AM
BIast posted...
ECE.

There are fewer hardware related jobs, however. Whether that is proportional or not, I don't know.
---
I <3 segfault
#18Treason686Posted 7/31/2014 9:26:20 AM
My advice, as a CS major who has an ECE roommate and has done a bit of ECE is don't decide based on money. If you're not an idiot or a self loather who blames everyone else if/when you can't find a job, you'll do well regardless.

Look at the curriculum and decide based on that. I can't stand the subjects in EE. It's not for me. I love computer science and the theory behind it. I love to write software. I find the hardware side interesting, but I have no interest in making it a career.

If you like hardware (And this is not picking out parts on Newegg or Amazon), circuits, electromagnetism, etc. and you like software, go with CE or ECE dual major if your school offers it. It's usually only a handful of extra courses for the double major. If, on the other hand, you don't get excited by Kirchoff's laws, Ohm's law, etc. I wouldn't touch CE or EE.

This is a bit more specific advice than the other posters who just go by money and jobs. Both fields are great. That shouldn't be in the equation at all.
---
I <3 segfault
#19HappyHippo04Posted 7/31/2014 9:49:38 AM
Nousername96 posted...
Erg0n posted...
TwiliLord666 posted...
Erg0n posted...
Out of the 2, get Computer Engineering and get your PEng. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Electrical engineering and any discipline related to it is one of the most demanded jobs in the market. We got Comp eng and electrical eng guys here making 120k and the ones who are PEng are making 160k with end of year bonuses.

That's the licensing exam right? I'm leaning more towards CE really. But I've heard that for CE you don't need the license because most jobs don't require it. Idk if it's worth studying for the exam.. I do plan on interning though, as my college guarantees it over summers if I do well.

yeah the licensing exam. Just because most jobs don't require it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
It sets you apart from the rest of the engineers and you can demand a higher pay compared to an engineer who isn't a PEng.

Hell in my job its not required, but they will pay 40k more just to have that designation for doing the exact same job. It's crazy. To put things in perspective I have a Masters in Comp Sci and make around 140k while the engineers are making 160k with a Bachelors and a PEng and we do the same ****. I'm getting screwed

Not trying to pry into your personal details, but location? And is this an entry level job, or have you had a few different jobs beforehand to get it? Because that is WELL above what I've heard the median pay is

Yeah that is for sure not an entry level position.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#20TomNook20Posted 7/31/2014 9:59:44 AM(edited)
First of all, don't use money as the deciding factor on what job to take. Both majors are extremely high paying compared to others and as long as you do well you are basically guaranteed a well paying job out of college with either of them. The overall difference in pay is basically non existent, as while people working on low level stuff or systems might get paid more on average, there are less jobs in that area and the high end of the pay scale for both software and hardware development is about the same.

Really it just depends on what you find more interesting. I personally hate everything about EE. I think hardware design is awful and uninteresting, same goes for calculus, and the problems you're solving are so much less interesting from a big picture point of view.

Sounds to me from your opening post you have nearly the exact opposite opinion I do, so you might as well go for ECE. But you probably won't know for sure until you start taking some classes. You can easily switch majors between the two as there is a ton of overlap, so don't sweat the decision that much.
---
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/098/7/4/tom_nook_by_themerce-d3dhi0q.png
http://www.gameswagonline.com/uploads/9/0/8/9/9089979/1372277527.jpg