This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More cores in a processor are better right? So why is Intel best?

#31PhoenixRush(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 11:02:19 AM
wanderz posted...
there are companies that will let you pick out the parts and they will assembly it for you, you can get it with or without windows installed as well.

i've ordered several computers and parts from this company over the last (i think) 15 years, for myself, friends and family members never had a problem, the one time they ran out of an item i had ordered they offered me one that was almost twice as much for no extra charge.

http://3btech.net/configurator.html

i'm not sure what other companies offer the same service, without charging an arm and a leg for it.
i believe tigerdirect.com may also at least sometimes offer that, but not 100% certain.

do not ever buy a name brand computer (dell, gateway, acer, etc) tho.. they come loaded with a bunch of crap on them that can actually bog down your computer, and they generally use some really cheap parts, like the power supply, and sometimes use parts that can't be replaced unless you order from them because they intentionally make them slightly oddly shaped. (again, i've heard of this with power supplies)
take a look around for sights like that i mentioned (or use 3btech) pick out some parts and post here again, either in this topic or another one, and i'm sure people will help you make sure you got what you need..

i believe you can also call 3btech and tell them what you are looking for in a computer and they will help you, but i of course never tried that so i'm not sure how honest they'd be about giving you the best value rather then suggesting all the most expensive parts.

That would explain why I had a hard time getting a graphics card into a name brand... I would love to be able to build my own PC, but the biggest issue comes from the fact that I wouldn't know what part gives out when making the warranty for each part a pain to keep track of. Getting a prebuilt from I guess CyberPowerPC would be better with a 3 year warranty, unless there's a way around all this I don't know about.
#32KURRUPTORPosted 8/2/2014 11:55:28 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Did you even look at the link? They're running the A10 with a 260x (the highest GPU dual graphics works with is a 250 to dispel any counterpoint you might try to come up with on that), the integrated stuff is sitting idle so it's not even causing thermal throttling. The integrated graphics don't have anything to do with it, it's 2 Kaveri CPU modules (4 IPUs, aka an amd 'quad' core) vs 2 Haswell CPU cores (with hyperthreading enabled) with the same GPU getting 65% higher FPS on a single threaded game. If you compared it to an 8350 it'd be closer to 70% faster. More CPU cores doesn't magically improve performance in games/apps that can't take advantage of them, adding GPU cores doesn't magically cripple CPU core performance.

If you don't understand what I'm saying I really don't know how to put it any more simply. If you think the numbers are invalid because AMD APU vs Intel CPU (that AMD would market as an APU if they sold it) for whatever reason that I can't possibly fathom outside of not knowing what an APU actually is and how they work then the burden of proof is on you to explain why it's invalid and "LOL APU vs CPU" isn't a reason.

You still aren't explaining where you came up with the idea that the processing cores in an apu are faster/more capable than their vishera CPUs are.

That's what I'm questioning.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#33rainedownPosted 8/2/2014 11:56:28 AM
Thanks to the internet you can figure out which part has gone pretty well. It's kind of similar to fixing a car, if some things work but others don't, or if you hear this but not that, or if this is getting hot but this isn't, etc. It's really not too hard to nail down the issue, and there's enough DIY videos on YouTube to explain the process pretty well.

On the other hand, getting a prebuilt from a good company (like cyber power) with a warranty may be worth the peace of mind of knowing you have it covered no matter what.
#34PhilOnDezPosted 8/2/2014 2:03:26 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
You still aren't explaining where you came up with the idea that the processing cores in an apu are faster/more capable than their vishera CPUs are.

Why would Kaveri be slower than Vishera? That's inane and I hope AMD learned their lesson with Bulldozer/Zambezi that steps backwards are completely unacceptable. I haven't been able to find what I would consider to be a good source but when comparing AMD to AMD no amount of intel bias should matter so here's some cpuboss scores.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-6300-vs-AMD-A10-7850K

Poking around trying to find some actual numbers led me to a bunch of posts on Tom's hardware and ocn consistently saying that clock for clock Kaveri is about 20% faster than Vishera which is actually a bigger difference than I thought.

Again, if you think Kaveri is slower for whatever reason the burden of proof is on you because that makes absolutely no sense and goes against pretty much all the numbers.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#35DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/2/2014 3:45:29 PM
Wow, AMD made some improvements of 20%?
That's actually quite remarkable. That would put it faster than Deneb(finally), wouldn't it? Maybe AMD isn't out of the running just yet.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#36KaiserWarriorPosted 8/2/2014 4:36:10 PM
Any more than 4 cores is a waste for video games. Video games simply are not written to a high enough multithreading standard to make use of more than 4. The CPU is pretty much never the bottleneck in modern PC gaming.
#37KURRUPTORPosted 8/2/2014 5:11:34 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...

Why would Kaveri be slower than Vishera? That's inane and I hope AMD learned their lesson with Bulldozer/Zambezi that steps backwards are completely unacceptable. I haven't been able to find what I would consider to be a good source but when comparing AMD to AMD no amount of intel bias should matter so here's some cpuboss scores.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-6300-vs-AMD-A10-7850K

Poking around trying to find some actual numbers led me to a bunch of posts on Tom's hardware and ocn consistently saying that clock for clock Kaveri is about 20% faster than Vishera which is actually a bigger difference than I thought.

Again, if you think Kaveri is slower for whatever reason the burden of proof is on you because that makes absolutely no sense and goes against pretty much all the numbers.

Yeah i saw CPUboss score (though I looked compared to 8350) and it was 0.1 better on single core performance. I chalked that up to margin of error and assumed they were using the same architecture as their vishera cpu's (which are clocked higher though). According to that though their APU's do have better single threaded performance, I couldn't find anything else (based on my admittedly brief search) to support that the APU's had better processing cores that their vishera CPU's though so I didn't think much of it.

Maybe that is the case that the 7850K APU does have AMD's best single threaded tech available. If so my apologies, I was under the impression that their APU's were more about graphical improvements rather than actually progressing their actual CPU core performance. I honestly haven't looked much into APU's being a bit of a PC enthusiast I never really considered them worth looking at. I am very curious now and will try to do a bit of research on my day off tomorrow.
---
#38KURRUPTORPosted 8/2/2014 5:13:52 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Wow, AMD made some improvements of 20%?
That's actually quite remarkable. That would put it faster than Deneb(finally), wouldn't it? Maybe AMD isn't out of the running just yet.

Dude do you ever actually contribute anything of value to this board or is it your goal to be the most useless fanboy on PCH?
---
#39TheBorderColliePosted 8/2/2014 9:20:37 PM
Pengu1n posted...
People will always tell you that intel is better by a country mile. But this is not true. Non biased tests have shown that AMD and Intel out perform each other at different tasks such as gaming, video rendering and photo editing.

And in situations where Intel is better the difference isn't even noticeable. A game might run a 2 or 3 fps faster on a core i7 then an 8350 or a video might render a couple of seconds faster on intel than AMD.

But an AMD CPU isn't a bad choice by any means with an FX6300, 8GB of RAM and an HD 270X you should easily be able to play games at 1080p at or around 60FPS.

It's hilarious how in every single "Intel vs. AMD" topic I see, I expect to see you in it mindless defending AMD and pretending that the chips are not inferior.

And, as always, you did not disappoint in this topic.

Tell me - Does AMD pay you to do this?

Look, AMD is fine if you're on a budget and you simply can't afford to hit the higher tier. But there is a reason why the public and industry as a whole has gotten behind Intel's technology - It's just better overall right now.

You need to accept that and move on.

AMD chips are certainly not trash...But they simply are not as good as what Intel is putting out right now.

Oh...and by the way, your post about how the overall performance debate is overblown is simply wrong.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
# of trolling Inbox messages deleted - without reading them - and users reported / banned: 11 :)
#40RoboXgp89Posted 8/2/2014 9:50:39 PM
the i3 chips now are like 4x stronger then the duo core in my laptop

i got a i5 just because it'll get you to 60fps with a decent card without hiccupin