This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gamer's best RPGs of all time

#1Tyranius2Posted 7/31/2014 8:48:24 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/gallery/the-best-rpgs-of-all-time/top25rpg-top-3/

They value fun above all else, so that leaves out Arcanum. jk jk

Agree/disagree?
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#2InterfusorPosted 7/31/2014 8:54:43 AM
Good list but I think Fallout is better than Fallout 2.
---
I am not economically viable.
#3ryouma17Posted 7/31/2014 8:58:07 AM
almost all the games they listed sucks, greatest rpg in my mind both gameplay and story is valkyria chronicles
---
Ronnie O'Neal McLendon
08/09/1960 - 11/16/2011
#4the_dracolichPosted 7/31/2014 9:03:45 AM
No Arcanum, VtMB too low, Diablo 3 instead of 2 (ugh), too much modern crap.

I rate the list 3/10.
---
Immune to criticals, criticism, negative board level, etc.
#5alsroboshackPosted 7/31/2014 9:04:15 AM
I like most all besides Skyrim, Diablo, Dark Souls. The order is off, but oh well.
---
some people treat life as a game,
some people treat games as life.
#6Jules RulesPosted 7/31/2014 9:04:45 AM
No one ever agrees with these lists, but come on, they've got Dark Souls so high up, did they forget it needed a mod to actually work decently?
---
What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?
XBL & PSN: OMGFather
#7Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 9:07:24 AM
Jules Rules posted...
No one ever agrees with these lists, but come on, they've got Dark Souls so high up, did they forget it needed a mod to actually work decently?

It played fine without the mod. Only thing it needs to "work" decently is a gamepad.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#8LoshadtPosted 7/31/2014 9:12:28 AM
Skyrim being so high on the list (never mind being on the list period) and South Park being an entry on there just tells me that the rest must have been lucky guesses.

Skyrim isn't even a role playing game because every character ends up in exactly the same place and takes almost exactly the same route to that destination, even ignoring that both Oblivion and Morrowind managed to be better games with deeper mechanics. And South Park is a Paper Mario game minus the length or depth.
---
A moment of silence for the dead panda.
#9GynthaeresPosted 7/31/2014 9:18:24 AM
-Dragon Age Origins is waaaaay too high up IMO.
-I don't know if rogue-likes like Dungeons of Dredmor count as RPGs.
-I don't think something like Dark Souls is an RPG at all, and if it does... well, should be on the list, but it's a bit too high for me. Similarly, I wouldn't call Diablo an RPG either.
-Curiously missing out on Arcanum and Neverwinter Nights 2.
-Divinity: Original Sin is too low on the list.
-Can't comment on South Park too much, since I haven't played it, but from what I've heard it's nowhere near "top 25 RPGs EVER".

On the plus side,
+The Top 3 are where they should be. I'm a little surprised Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 3, or Skyrim aren't up that high. I actually can't complain about the top 3, for once in a PC Gamer list.
+Mass Effect 2, I agree, is the best in the series (and yes, I do think it's an RPG over Dark Souls or whatever else: Being able to play a specific type of character, personality-wise > stats/loot, for RPG-ness IMO).
+A decent mixture of Old and New. Maybe some minor quibbles here and there (Legend of Grimrock, better than Wizardry 8? Maybe, maybe not), but overall little I'd seriously argue over.

For the most part, not an awful list. I disagree with some of it, I agree with some of it. I'm a little surprised that it's seemingly objective, as opposed to the usual sellout-ness / Modern Gamer-itis that perpetrates many of PC Gamer's articles and lists.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#10Digital StormPosted 7/31/2014 9:19:33 AM
PC Gamer is still around?
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.