This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gamer's best RPGs of all time

#11LoshadtPosted 7/31/2014 10:21:05 AM
Gynthaeres posted...
For the most part, not an awful list. I disagree with some of it, I agree with some of it. I'm a little surprised that it's seemingly objective, as opposed to the usual sellout-ness / Modern Gamer-itis that perpetrates many of PC Gamer's articles and lists.

Dark Souls isn't a particularly deep RPG, but it definitely gets the job done a lot better than some other games on that list. When you play a different build it really is a whole new experience, I think that's one really important part.

Though I'll agree it's a bit too high up.
---
A moment of silence for the dead panda.
#12HighOnPhazonPosted 7/31/2014 10:30:56 AM
This list is irrelevant for even mentioning Diablo 3.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#13akuma634Posted 7/31/2014 10:51:37 AM
That's a cool list, props for Anachronox being on there. That's such an underrated game, and it's too bad we never got those planned expansion packs.

The only games I don't like that were listed were Diablo 3 expansion pack because it sucks when you need an add on to fix the game. Dark Souls always felt so boring to me. Dragon Age Origins was so mediocre in every regard, especially having no lasting consequences or even bothering to tally your reputation.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#14Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 11:19:50 AM
Dragon Age Origins was so mediocre in every regard, especially having no lasting consequences or even bothering to tally your reputation.

Dragon Age Origins was great, and it's good that you don't have a reputation, like in Mass Effect, as if being good all game makes me incapable of being an ass in the end.

Also, Ningishzida, the RPG janitor around here said it was an elite game.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#15SinisterSlayPosted 7/31/2014 11:22:11 AM
Tags make this easier to read.
Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Deus Ex, Dragon Age: Origins, System Shock 2, Mass Effect 2, Mount & Blade: Warband, Torchlight 2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Ultima Underworld, Dungeons of Dredmor, Fallout 2, Legend of Grimrock, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Anachronox, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 2, Star Wars: knights of the Old Republic 2, Ultima VII: The Black Gate,
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16JJH777Posted 7/31/2014 11:23:37 AM
No Morrowind. Chose D3 and Torchlight 2 for the ARPG representatives instead of Diablo 2. Only 2 Infinity Engine games. Dark Souls is supposedly good but putting it on a top PC RPG list when it uses GFWL is stupid. I bought it on steam and messed with it for 3 hours and even called support but if I want to actually play it I'm going to have to pirate it. I prefer KotoR over KotoR 2 but that's debatable at least. Way too many recent games in general.
---
9/2/13-The Hero of GameFAQs fought bravely but fell to an unrelenting horde supported by a corrupt tyranny.
R.I.P. Hero of Time, 7 time CB Champion, Link
#17DaedalusExPosted 7/31/2014 11:28:33 AM
Skyrim and Mass Effect 2 in the top 10 LOL
#18LiquidDeePosted 7/31/2014 11:42:43 AM
Skyrim and Mass Effect 2 are way too high.

Dragon Age Origins and Deus Ex could be a few places higher.

Top 3 is pretty good.Can't complain.
#19Sk0rbutPosted 7/31/2014 11:43:04 AM
I don't agree with every pick but it's a good list overall.

ryouma17 posted...
almost all the games they listed sucks, greatest rpg in my mind both gameplay and story is valkyria chronicles

The list is by PC Gamer - Valkyria Chronicles is not a pc game.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#20EvilCactusPosted 7/31/2014 11:43:40 AM
This is a much better list than others I've seen. Skyrim, Diablo III, and Torchlight 2 don't really belong on there, and the list is missing Diablo II, Morrowind, Alpha Protocol, Mask of the Betrayer, and Arcanum. Otherwise, it's quite good. It doesn't take sheep route of "OMG Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3 and Final Fantasy are so EPIC! BEST RPG EVER!". They have the essentials like Deus Ex, Planescape, BG II, etc, as well as modern classics, like New Vegas and Dark Souls. They also recognize that the Obsidian games are so much better than their predecessors that it's laughable.
---
sig here