This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gamer's best RPGs of all time

#91SneakiestNegPosted 8/1/2014 8:05:06 AM
Planescape is not really a game imo, more like a visual novel. It has some of the best story and writing you will ever see in a game. It is not the gameplay that makes it a classic.
#92LoshadtPosted 8/1/2014 8:05:14 AM
Epicness2012 posted...
Gotta love the butthurt Skyrim haters on GFAQs

Bethesda deserves nothing but crap for Skyrim. They consolized the series so goddamn hard that even some console players find it too simplistic. It's as deep as a puddle, the world is tiny as hell, the AI is dumber than a rock, it crashes like a one-winged plane, it looks like ass and performs like the stuff that comes out of one, no classes, no attributes, no spellcrafting...

The list just goes on. And what scares me is that they might have dumbed it down past the point of no return, because if they make ES VI any more complex they risk losing the casuals they were trying to attract in the first place.
---
A moment of silence for the dead panda.
#93Chaos_MissilePosted 8/1/2014 11:23:20 AM
Oh, wow. I dont even need to read the article slideshow to know what games are in this list.

Tags: Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Deus Ex, Dragon Age: Origins, System Shock 2, Mass Effect 2, Mount & Blade: Warband, Torchlight 2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Ultima Underworld, Dungeons of Dredmor, Fallout 2, Legend of Grimrock, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Anachronox, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 2, Star Wars: knights of the Old Republic 2, Ultima VII: The Black Gate,

Basically, the "best RPGs of all time according to PCGamer" were all only released post-2000, and all Western-made.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#94AskeladdPosted 8/1/2014 12:21:14 PM(edited)
Chaos_Missile posted...
Basically, the "best RPGs of all time according to PCGamer" were all only released post-2000

Ultima: Underworld (1992), Fallout 2 (1998), System Shock 2 (1999) and Planescape: Torment (1999).

Chaos_Missile posted...
Basically, the "best RPGs of all time according to PCGamer" were all only released post-2000, and all Western-made.

PCGamer. How many PC RPGs have come out of the east that aren't crappy MMOs?
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#9513year_old_girlPosted 8/1/2014 12:19:24 PM
Chaos_Missile posted...

JRPGs aren't true rpgs...RPG was a term created in the west with pen & paper or tabletop RPGs that gave you adventures with choices.
---
hi I'm 13 and i love being random! be random with me <:)
#96AskeladdPosted 8/1/2014 12:24:09 PM
13year_old_girl posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...

JRPGs aren't true rpgs...RPG was a term created in the west with pen & paper or tabletop RPGs that gave you adventures with choices.

Diablo doesn't give you any choice in adventuring. Lots of action RPGs don't. Still RPGs.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#97RequiemPosted 8/1/2014 12:39:59 PM
Japanese don't release a lots of RPG for PC (and when it does, it's usually a port... not really a "PC" RPG).

If the list was "top 25 RPG for PC + Consoles", I'm sure a few JRPGs would have made it to the list.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#98HighOnPhazonPosted 8/1/2014 12:45:14 PM
Before I said this list was irrelevant because of Diablo 3, and while that is partially true I will admit that they did add some great games to this list, however they really didn't try very hard to make this list legitimate.

Diablo 3 needs to go away, period. It's a horrible game in every respect, even with Reaper of Souls all it is, is a mindless gear treadmill with a paper thin, laughable story and almost zero character progression. It's all gear, gear, gear, gear, gear. Kill the same groups of monsters over and over and over and over again. It stops being fun after about 20 hours.

Torchlight 2, same thing. It does not belong on this list. It's a Diablo clone, and a poor one at that. One of the glitchiest games I've played on Steam too, would crash constantly.

They added some obscure indie games to this list that do not belong at all either. It's almost like they ran of out ideas and were like "hey let's add these games nobody ever heard of"
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#9913year_old_girlPosted 8/1/2014 12:48:22 PM
Askeladd posted...
Diablo doesn't give you any choice in adventuring. Lots of action RPGs don't. Still RPGs.

Lots of people wouldn't consider Diablo a true rpg either.
---
hi I'm 13 and i love being random! be random with me <:)
#100MasterTurtlePosted 8/1/2014 3:24:52 PM
Loshadt posted...
Epicness2012 posted...
Gotta love the butthurt Skyrim haters on GFAQs

Bethesda deserves nothing but crap for Skyrim. They consolized the series so goddamn hard that even some console players find it too simplistic. It's as deep as a puddle, the world is tiny as hell, the AI is dumber than a rock, it crashes like a one-winged plane, it looks like ass and performs like the stuff that comes out of one, no classes, no attributes, no spellcrafting...

The list just goes on. And what scares me is that they might have dumbed it down past the point of no return, because if they make ES VI any more complex they risk losing the casuals they were trying to attract in the first place.

rest of that aside, why would anyone give a **** about classes? they're a product of Morrowind/Oblivion's awful, broken leveling system
---
Can I interest you in a...side mission?