This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come JP still gets their PC games on CD while it is mostly digital for us?

#21Dirk85UKPosted 8/1/2014 11:39:09 AM
It's not just Japan, but here in the UK pretty much every PC game can be bought on a retail disc version from websites such as amazon.co.uk
---
GTX 780ti SC / i7 4770k / 16gb RAM / Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H / 840 Pro Basic / Seasonic X-850 / Dell U2711
#22SneakiestNegPosted 8/1/2014 12:12:17 PM
You said the store got robbed. People who pay with plastic in stores means that stores don't carry cash anymore. Hell stores here would outlaw cash if they could.
#23tydog98Posted 8/4/2014 4:46:20 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
America is still a cash society. Nobody robs stores anymore here, I only ever have 20 euro in my wallet.

No, no not really
---
See you, space cowboy
#24clowningPosted 8/4/2014 4:51:24 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
You said the store got robbed. People who pay with plastic in stores means that stores don't carry cash anymore. Hell stores here would outlaw cash if they could.

This is so amazingly ignorant.

1) Stores have more than just cash

2) Stores have receipts/copies of all electronic transactions; these are used for ID theft and fraud.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#25Mr_Fury32Posted 8/4/2014 4:56:23 PM
im birtish and i never use digital, physical is far cheaper...
---
WANTED: DEFIANCE AND RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS PS3 players
System ID's :PSN ID: Auron-32, Xbox LIVE: AzzTheStickman. I'm in the U.K. so thats 0GMT
#26akuma634Posted 8/4/2014 6:25:28 PM
A lot of Japanese game companies focus inward and really aren't interested in what's going on outside of Japan. Keiji Inafune did a panel at the Screwattack Gaming Convention last month where he went into great detail on the Japanese game industry and how backwards things are, and why he's a lot happier with western indie studios and generally how the industry works out here.

I'd say that's more of the issue. Digital isn't taking over because in Japan, you probably don't have as many studios who care to make the change. They feel that what they're doing is working.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#27SoporilBraceletPosted 8/5/2014 12:27:48 AM
I think the difference might be this: In the West, CD's are no more meaningful, you put them in, put in the key, install the game and stash it away. It's possible that in JP the CD's need to be by IN the computer for the game to work in most cases.

Keep in mind this is completely baseless and is just written for the sake of speculation.
---
TU FUI, EGO ERIS.
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.