This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Aero theme just stopped working. AMD=Finished?

#11Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 10:12:33 AM(edited)
If you want to change the topic to AMD vs Nvidia since I have both at the moment and have used both very recently, here is what I've experienced:

AMD 290
Colors are better, much better contrast.
The scaling issue is odd, you have to switch resolutions and adjust the scaling for each resolution, otherwise you end up with black bars and low quality picture (not that big of a deal).
More coil whine/other strange issues like the dog whistle sound I can hear at certain frequencies.
Runs hotter. I didn't actually do any real tests, but it's probably 5-10c hotter.
Great performance for the dollar.
AMD always has the VRAM. Nvidia tends to skimp.

Nvidia 670/770
Driver support? I hear they keep them more updated than AMD, but I haven't experienced it. However, in most games that I've checked for tweaks, people seem to have the tweaks for Nvidia cards rather than AMD. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but it seems I can do more with Nvidia cards than AMD.
With this 770, and the 670 before that, both Gigabyte Windforce, the color is kind of faded, low contrast, grey blacks. It's not the monitor as the AMD card looks great on the same monitor.
Cool and quiet. This thing is a whisper, and since it stays pretty cool, the fans don't need to increase, so it stays quiet.

All in all, I think I'm an Nvidia man for now, mainly because of my new system that I want to be cool and quiet. If I was more concerned for performance only, I'd probably stick with AMD.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#12JohnnyKoochPosted 8/1/2014 11:41:20 AM
To be fair you brought the AMD vs Nvidia argument on yourself by saying AMD = Finished.
#13mrCubePosted 8/1/2014 11:47:32 AM
With this 770, and the 670 before that, both Gigabyte Windforce, the color is kind of faded, low contrast, grey blacks. It's not the monitor as the AMD card looks great on the same monitor.

It depends on the monitor but if you're having that issue you may need to switch the pixel format from RGB to YCbCr.
---
---
#14JKatarnPosted 8/1/2014 11:58:22 AM
jairusmonillas posted...
get intel processors and nvidia gpu next time lol

If you had any reading comprehension you would notice that he said the same thing was happening with an Nvidia 770 he tried, so it sounds like some other hardware/software issue. Of course providing some help would involve having a modicum of technical knowledge vs. brand fanboyism.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#15Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 12:14:38 PM(edited)
mrCube posted...

It depends on the monitor but if you're having that issue you may need to switch the pixel format from RGB to YCbCr.

I'm not sure where to change that at or even check to see what it's set on. I'm using HDMI by the way.

EDIT: Found it...yep, that looks like the trick. Thanks!
---
#16mrCubePosted 8/1/2014 3:52:10 PM
Boge posted...
mrCube posted...

I'm not sure where to change that at or even check to see what it's set on. I'm using HDMI by the way.

EDIT: Found it...yep, that looks like the trick. Thanks!

No prob, had that same issue with my last Nvidia card. Catalyst drivers auto-detect it though.
---
---
#17Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 11:39:24 AM
I reinstalled the Catalyst drivers the first time, and it didn't fix the problem. That's when I switched to the Nvidia card.
---
#18ShebeskiiPosted 8/3/2014 3:12:06 PM
Boge posted...
If you want to change the topic to AMD vs Nvidia since I have both at the moment and have used both very recently, here is what I've experienced:

AMD 290
Colors are better, much better contrast.
The scaling issue is odd, you have to switch resolutions and adjust the scaling for each resolution, otherwise you end up with black bars and low quality picture (not that big of a deal).
More coil whine/other strange issues like the dog whistle sound I can hear at certain frequencies.
Runs hotter. I didn't actually do any real tests, but it's probably 5-10c hotter.
Great performance for the dollar.
AMD always has the VRAM. Nvidia tends to skimp.

Nvidia 670/770
Driver support? I hear they keep them more updated than AMD, but I haven't experienced it. However, in most games that I've checked for tweaks, people seem to have the tweaks for Nvidia cards rather than AMD. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but it seems I can do more with Nvidia cards than AMD.
Cool and quiet. This thing is a whisper, and since it stays pretty cool, the fans don't need to increase, so it stays quiet.

All in all, I think I'm an Nvidia man for now, mainly because of my new system that I want to be cool and quiet. If I was more concerned for performance only, I'd probably stick with AMD.

Nvidia has realistic colours. You can imitate AMD's video game tweaked settings by increasing the vibrancy setting in the nvidia control panel.

This gripe with nvidia is misinformed.

Getting AMD to look neutral on the other hand isn't so straightforward.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#19sonicteam2k1Posted 8/3/2014 3:19:10 PM
happened to me this morning. I just rebooted and the problem was fixed.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games