This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

for mmorpg players, what is your prefered death penalty?

#1Anarchy612Posted 8/1/2014 9:34:51 PM
I prefer a more harsh death penalty. I need tension in the game. Not exactly sure what my specific preference would be though as I haven't really played many mmos
---
In victory, you deserve a drink. In defeat, you need one.
#2KarnRX78Posted 8/1/2014 9:47:52 PM
FFXI had you lose XP when you died, and it was a pita back in the day. If you were a damage dealing class that was popular in exp parties, you could lose a days progress if you couldn't get someone to raise you. Doesn't really matter now that XP is easy to get.

I personally don't care about death penalties, even back when it was a pain in FF XI, I was a Red Mage though.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
#3PaukenPosted 8/1/2014 9:51:37 PM
Slap on the wrist is what I prefer tbh (either corpse running or a tiny gold cost), but since that conflicts with sandbox MMOs...

Hell, slap-on-the-wrist-type penalties should apply to all genres. It's incredibly annoying to start over from the beginning of the level/game when you die too much. JRPG style save points are another thing that should go; just allow quick saves, dammit, no one wants to play through an hour of content again just because the last monster finished off your HP amounts right before the boss save point...even worse is unwinnable save points, like in FFT where saving in one of the battle chains without being high enough level and/or gear will make that save impossible to clear. It's not fun, it's just stupid.
#4DawnshadowPosted 8/1/2014 9:56:10 PM
I prefer slap on the wrist, as well. Being reset to a graveyard/checkpoint and having to run back is enough for me. Losing XP or items on death, in my opinion, just discourages players from exploring and taking risks.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 8/1/2014 10:03:01 PM
KarnRX78 posted...
FFXI had you lose XP when you died, and it was a pita back in the day. If you were a damage dealing class that was popular in exp parties, you could lose a days progress if you couldn't get someone to raise you. Doesn't really matter now that XP is easy to get.

I personally don't care about death penalties, even back when it was a pain in FF XI, I was a Red Mage though.

losing a days progress in FFXI is really really hard, you lose 100 XP on death and it takes 1000 to go up a level. If you earn less than 100 XP a day, you should just quit.
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book II http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_ii
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/eLAb8Hj2
#6kobalobasileusPosted 8/1/2014 10:19:31 PM
I prefer slaps on the wrist with wet noodles.

A small in-game money penalty is fine, but I think MMOs need a daily limit to revives in order to make the genre stand out. MMOs already have daily quests, so why not have daily wimpy revives? Dragon Nest does this, giving players 5 free lives per day and allowing them to buy more from the cash shop.
#7DetectiveZPosted 8/1/2014 10:21:31 PM
I agree with the slap on the wrist. I don't mind having to go back to where I was, but losing a bunch of items and money is a bit harsh.

That being said, is there an MMORPG with permadeath?
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel
#8KaiserWarriorPosted 8/1/2014 10:23:43 PM
When you die, the game deletes your character, uninstalls itself and bans your GUID and payment details for life.

Anything less is for filthy casuals.
#9ChakkanPosted 8/1/2014 10:29:30 PM
TBQH I like how it was on the old Everquest, having to get back to your corpse to get your stuff back.
You could even get help from thrusted players.

It was harsh, but just.
#10PhilOnDezPosted 8/1/2014 10:47:57 PM(edited)
DetectiveZ posted...
That being said, is there an MMORPG with permadeath?

That 'Face of Mankind' game that just came out on steam does. There are two ways to revive, either use a clone slug or pay a lot of money. If you're out of clones (free players can carry 20, no idea how easy it is to die) and don't have enough cash to revive the game just tells you to make a new character because that other character is gone forever.

I don't know if it's out or what it's called but a while back there was an mmo on kick starter where one of the tiers was an exclusive race. This race couldn't be revived and could only be obtained through the kickstarter.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez