This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would this punishment for death in an mmorpg be acceptable to you?

#112Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 8/2/2014 5:50:13 AM
In Runescape you used to only keep your three most expensive items you were carrying when you died. Now they made it so you have 5-12 minutes depending on the level of your gravestone to come back and get your items unless you die in PVP then you lose everything. I still play it I just make sure not to die
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#12PhilOnDezPosted 8/2/2014 5:53:34 AM
I wouldn't play it. Eden Eternal had about the harshest death penalty I'd ever be willing to deal with, it had WoW's durability loss on death with a gold penalty if you revived at a graveyard and you lost 5% of your current level's progress and 20% of your job progress if you didn't get revived, down to 0% (ie no de-leveling for player level or job level)
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#13Golden_GonadsPosted 8/2/2014 5:53:52 AM
Ultima Online as I remember it, used to be that you dropped everything you had on you when you died, and had till your body decomposed to reclaim it. Unless you died in PVP, in which case to the victor go the spoils. Then they added insurance to items, so that for a small fee of ingame gold, you kept your gear.
#14MaxCHEATER64Posted 8/2/2014 6:36:08 AM
Lootman posted...
No problem because I don't play bad games.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#15AsucaHayashiPosted 8/2/2014 6:41:05 AM
exp sure, gold or whatever currency no problem... but equipment? f that s.

the best middle ground is probably loss of exp+currency since the rate is adjustable.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#16kuterPosted 8/2/2014 6:59:27 AM
When you die in Dark Ages and you don't have a special cash shop bag, all your stuff & gold on you drops on the floor, and some items have a chance to break upon dying. xP
#17hyjinx17Posted 8/2/2014 7:01:54 AM
That MMO would fail faster than SWTOR
---
3DS friend code:3883-5502-4640 IGN:Zero
#18ThatPersonGuyPosted 8/2/2014 7:04:56 AM
Honestly, I think that harsher penalties can work for MMOs. It changes how people approach gameplay, where too careless of an approach could result in months if not years of items lost. Item storage centers become extremely important, as suddenly carrying that extremely high level enchanted sword of a thousand truths becomes a lot more risky. Being overequiped is just as bad as being underequiped, because at any time tragedy could strike and you could lose everything.

PVP changes as well. Suddenly being the big tough guy becomes a lot less attractive when it only takes one death and all those beautiful levels and items are scattered to the wind, and possibly to the very same people you terrorized.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
- Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
#19pwnater777Posted 8/2/2014 7:07:19 AM
The 10% XP sounded reasonable and I was going to vote yes, but the rest would cause me to just quit that MMORPG.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#20hyjinx17Posted 8/2/2014 7:09:11 AM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
Honestly, I think that harsher penalties can work for MMOs. It changes how people approach gameplay, where too careless of an approach could result in months if not years of items lost. Item storage centers become extremely important, as suddenly carrying that extremely high level enchanted sword of a thousand truths becomes a lot more risky. Being overequiped is just as bad as being underequiped, because at any time tragedy could strike and you could lose everything.

PVP changes as well. Suddenly being the big tough guy becomes a lot less attractive when it only takes one death and all those beautiful levels and items are scattered to the wind, and possibly to the very same people you terrorized.

There are not enough people who would be willing to play an MMO where they could lose items to keep one in business.
---
3DS friend code:3883-5502-4640 IGN:Zero