This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would this punishment for death in an mmorpg be acceptable to you?

#41gamewizard11Posted 8/2/2014 10:05:55 AM
10% Exp? That's incredibly harsh.

You were level 100 when you died? Now you're either 90 or low 90s depending on how exp works. Enjoy grinding several days just to get back to 100, assuming you don't mess up or lag out during the grind and move even farther behind.
#42sinisterorionPosted 8/2/2014 10:06:58 AM(edited)
Lootman posted...
No problem because I don't play bad games.

This. That sounds like such an over complicated way of dealing with death. I have no problems with a difficult game and where a death can be a major problem (I actually really like some of the perma-death games) but that just doesn't sound like a very good death mechanic.

I am curious, is that from an mmo that actually has that implemented?
#43SuperNerdSorenPosted 8/2/2014 10:09:16 AM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
In Runescape you used to only keep your three most expensive items you were carrying when you died. Now they made it so you have 5-12 minutes depending on the level of your gravestone to come back and get your items unless you die in PVP then you lose everything. I still play it I just make sure not to die

I also play RuneScape and I'm used to their death penalty from playing it on and off over the years. I just go into the Wilderness with nothing on only when I'm in serious need of several runes at the Mage Arena and can't craft them.

I'm used to dropping the stuff I have but I would hate it if I lost XP as well.
---
3DS: 2406-5192-8968 | Lv. 30 Pokemon battles ONLY | Safari: Electric (Pikachu/Dedenne)
#44Darbus_31Posted 8/2/2014 10:11:05 AM
Everquest
#45BIastPosted 8/2/2014 10:21:16 AM
Lootman posted...

---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
#46DawnshadowPosted 8/2/2014 10:26:56 AM(edited)
I could see it working in an MMO where items were fairly easy to get or replace and the leveling power curve wasn't too harsh. It would not work in a WoW-like MMO where you're expected to die occasionally, leveling increases your power on an exponential curve before you get into item tiering and you can easily spend months farming an item for a single slot.

Tourtus posted...
Minecraft does this but you lose all your EXP and equipment and items. It's one of the reasons why I don't play it.

If you're in single player, all it takes is /gamerule keepInventory true. On a server, just find one that has drops on death disabled. Although losing items in unmodded Minecraft isn't nearly as punitive as losing them in an MMO, because Minecraft items wear out over time anyway. (I still HATE that rule, and refuse to play with drops on death enabled.)

Of course, this fails to fix the other reasons, but modding might?
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#47ThatPersonGuyPosted 8/2/2014 10:26:40 AM
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
While that may seem harsh, the golden rule in game is don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

That's why I could never play that terrible game.

First, you can't catch up because it bases skill on days played rather than skill.

Second, you buy an awesome ship and can't use it cause if a group of a-holes come around and blow it up, it's gone.

That's ridiculous.

But here's the thing: Suddenly risk vs. reward becomes very important. Yes suddenly some a-holes could go and blow up your ship, but that gives you more incentive to find a group or community. There's safety in numbers. And of course there are games where you could get said ship insured so that if said a-holes do blow up your ship you can get your money back.

It could work, it would however need to be a new kind of MMO, one that wasn't so reliant on the WOW MMORPG formula.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
- Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
#48xKYSxPosted 8/2/2014 10:43:27 AM
no. i wouldn't even play that game. played a game like that before where just pking someone and having another kill you would automatically drop your equipment made it annoying to even enjoy the game and people would just grief by killing someone then running to town because they know if they die, all of their equipment will be dropped.
---
3DS FC: 3582-9753-7910
electric type safari. PM if you add please, thanks.
#49Lemur_HPosted 8/2/2014 10:45:37 AM
The death penalty isn't the biggest issue that deserves the most attention with MMORPG design.
#50force_edgePosted 8/2/2014 10:58:23 AM
Lootman posted...

It wouldn't even be a game. It would be a totally avoidable and meaningless chore, which I would, well, avoid.
---
GameFAQs, where opinions get moderated as "Flaming" just because some moderator felt hurt by it.