This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would this punishment for death in an mmorpg be acceptable to you?

#51JonWood007Posted 8/2/2014 10:00:11 AM
Considering how much grinding is involved with MMOs, I'd HATE to lose 10-15% of all my exp every time I die. or lose all my inventory. That's horrible.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 760 SC | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#52LVUERPosted 8/2/2014 10:25:25 AM
10% of exp and lost of equipments are too harsh simply because it could take days to gather that much experience and even months to get those equipments (or even years in case of super rare equipments).

Back to respawn points would be ideal for me ;P But I think losing a percentage of golds (or money) or where you have to wait for sometime before playing again would be harsh enough...
#53clowningPosted 8/2/2014 10:29:48 AM
Pass
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#54rainedownPosted 8/2/2014 10:40:14 AM
Losing the experience I can take, if it doesn't delevel you. Ffxi was garbage for many reasons, but one of the biggest was hitting an equipment change level, getting in a terrible party, and losing your level so you were stuck in garbage gear again. Also if the game is so set on group play it would be very aggravating to have this death system in place.

Not that I'm not a fan of harsh deaths, you just have to think the mechanics through. Gemstone had a great death mechanic, where you could spend extra money on deeds to soften the blow, but you would basically lose experience you hadn't let sunk in yet (the game had a learn over time system to encourage doing more than just farming), then get a debuff depending on how you were raised (by a player, by an NPC, decaying after a certain amount of time, and choosing to decay early in order from best to worst) which would make gaining experience in the future harder for a while and would lower your stats for a short period of time as well. You'd also lose all of the gold you had on you if you decayed.

Dying was not to be taken lightly, as it could easily make it ten times harder to get to the next level and lead to being weaker for a long time, on top of losing gold not stored properly...but it didn't erase your progress. I think erasing your progress violates a core tenet of MMOs to not make the time sink involved in them too obvious.
#55EnclosurePosted 8/2/2014 10:49:21 AM
I played hardcore mode in diablo games so...
Then again, leveling in diablo isnt quite as slow as in mmos.
---
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg
#56nedrithPosted 8/2/2014 11:01:11 AM
Equipment loss ,unless temporary like EQ corpse runs which I enjoyed, both in PvE and PvP is almost always a bad thing IMO. On the good side they make death mean more however on the bad side it also makes equipment mean less. Developers can't easily develop strong raid loot or hard to get crafting loot if a single death can wipe it away.

EXP loss should never be based off of total exp, only exp for the current level. 10-20% of exp for the level is a good amount IMO along with the possibility to delevel. this forces the player to do everything in their power to survive. If it comes to using a few expensive potions or losing a few hours of leveling, players will probably choose the potions. Most MMOs players will just die because it's quicker to die than take the time getting back some of the potions in the game.
#57fuzzybear69Posted 8/2/2014 11:01:28 AM
Remember EQ was a pain. Loosing xp with death.
#58blackXXwizardPosted 8/2/2014 11:53:23 AM
Asheron's Call has a death penalty similar, I believe you would drop a percentage of money and a couple of random items. You had to go get your body before it decomposed, and you had a stat penalty until you earned a certain amount of xp.
---
http://i.imgur.com/RQ2izMf.gif
#59CaliberChampPosted 8/2/2014 12:03:14 PM
Most of those games turn into pay 2 win games. Pay 5.99 to continue... Kind of like an arcade game.
That's why those game should stay dead .
---
Favorites games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham city
Games that sucked: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, Gone Home, EVE Online.
#60r7gerrabbitPosted 8/2/2014 12:24:43 PM(edited)
I'm used to MMO's like Ultima Online and EVE Online.
If you die you lose absolutely everything you were carrying with you at that moment.

In EVE if you don't keep your clones up to date and someone kills your pod (what's left after the ship blows up) you lose your skills.

If MMO's were still as robust and player driven as those two MMO's then I'd be more interested in the genre. But the genre has devolved into bind on equip equipment that you have to farm for.

In EVE or UO if I wanted the best stuff in the game I just had to fork over the cash. In UO I'd often keep 7 or 8 sets of armor in my house and a few sets of armor in the bank. It's all about management. You don't wear your shiniest set of armor when wandering around the wilderness. You don't wear what you cannot afford to lose.
---
Sig.