This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Duke Nukem Forever bomb?

#1AzurexNightmarePosted 8/2/2014 4:55:48 PM
I actually liked it but seriously why didn't they release the original DNF? Why upgrade it 20 times and then give up? How does something that stupid happen. Poor Duke he was badass in DN3D and then he just died a slow slow slow death.
---
PC "Master" Race. Belittling others for enjoying the same hobby that they do since...always.
#2Lemur_HPosted 8/2/2014 4:58:59 PM
Because the past should stay in the past.
#3PokenubPosted 8/2/2014 5:00:15 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Because the past should stay in the past.

No, the past should be learnt from. That's why the same mistakes keep getting repeated in games now-days.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#4SpazH3dPosted 8/2/2014 5:03:09 PM
They turned him into a 15 year old gangster, instead of being a more coc(k)y Bruce Willis, So that.
---
- My vision is augmented
#5Digital StormPosted 8/2/2014 5:05:24 PM
Because it took forever for it to be released.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#6ace_two_maxPosted 8/2/2014 5:10:05 PM
+ Gearbox sucks.
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!
#7pwnater777Posted 8/2/2014 5:13:06 PM
Too many changes of direction. I enjoyed it for the $5 I paid, but I went into it realizing that I would be playing a terrible game. Not bad, with that mindset.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#8Lemur_HPosted 8/2/2014 5:13:24 PM
ace_two_max posted...
+ Gearbox sucks.

Do you really think a modern Duke Nukem game could ever be good?
#9KaiRyusakiPosted 8/2/2014 5:27:26 PM
I remember liking some parts, like the toy car driving stuff.
But most of it seemed boring, too linear, yadda yadda.
It's not absolutely terrible, it was just kinda boring.
#10KaiserWarriorPosted 8/2/2014 5:27:35 PM
They kept trying to be bleeding-edge, in terms of technology and style, and they never settled on "we're going with this and shipping it". Classic scope creep, the bane of all software projects.

As to why Duke Nukem Forever tanked when it finally did come out? It didn't have the balls (of steel!) to be a true classic-style Duke Nukem game, so it lost the crowd that wanted to play DN3D with prettier graphics. And Duke as a character, really as an archetype of a character, is simply irrelevant to the modern gaming masses. He was, in every way, a product of the late 80s to early-mid 90s, and the broader culture simply doesn't grok that style anymore. He's Arnold Schwarzeneggar in a world where Schwarzeneggar has been out of movies for decades and everybody's on to Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and Mark Wahlberg.