This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Duke Nukem Forever bomb?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why did Duke Nukem Forever bomb?
1 year ago#21
Freedan12 posted...
I actually enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever.

me too. 294 hours.
---
If you kill a man, you're a murderer. If you kill many, you're a conqueror. If you kill them all, you're a god.
1 year ago#22
It's a decent enough game if allowed to be. That is, if you're not constantly comparing it to DN3D, not constantly looking for little flaws to pick apart, and not constantly despairing over it being a modern FPS instead of a throwback, then it won't be a bad experience overall --- if you are mentally capable of adjusting your expectations appropriately.

But of course, GameFaqs makes it pretty clear that most (vocal) gamers are constantly comparing to it DN3D, are constantly looking for little flaws to pick apart, are constantly despairing over it being a modern FPS instead of a throwback, and are not mentally capable of much of anything.

Meh.
1 year ago#23
george broussard
---
is haha
1 year ago#24
Because of all the stupid one liners.

There was one point where Duke said something like *Jumping puzzles, I don't do jumping puzzles" then he proceeds to do said puzzle. If you're going to make him say something let use blow up the jumping puzzle have a Jetpack in a glass container we can break and skip it or something.

The loading times were pretty nostalgic it was like I was playing on a Commordore again. I could have probably made a cup of tea, that's how long some loading screens were on DN:F.

Also Duke can only hold two weapons. What is this. The shotgun was the only "decent" weapon in the game so you would use it through most of the game, the other weapon would be a strong weapon you'd save for a boss. This meant you never used any other weapons and it made it pretty bland.

The textures and the models are also craptasist. It looks like they were made 13 years ago too.

I remember seeing one reviewer who summed it up nicely. It starts off all nice like Chosen, then it transitions into the dark doom like gameplay and by the last mission your in modern FPS land you run around a grey industrial area and get a crap ending.

I guess the main problem I had with Duke Nukem Forever it that when I played through it all I could think was, I waited 13 years for these crap textures, I waited 13 years to be reduced to only using 2 weapons etc.
---
Brothers and Sisters are sworn enemies Like PC Gamers and Xbox Gamers, or PC Gamers and Sony Gamers, Or PC Gamers and PC Gamers, Damn PC Gamers ruined PC gaming
1 year ago#25
DiviDude posted...
But of course, GameFaqs makes it pretty clear that most (vocal) gamers are constantly comparing to it DN3D, are constantly looking for little flaws to pick apart, are constantly despairing over it being a modern FPS instead of a throwback, and are not mentally capable of much of anything.

The problem is that DNF was pretty bad even by modern FPS standards in 2011. Even if people werent comparing it to Duke3d, they would be comparing it to games that were a hell of a lot more polished due to not being in dev hell for forever and a day. DNF and homefront were the standout "really bad FPS games" of that year.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
1 year ago#26
The thing about Duke 3D is that Duke 3D's attitude isn't actually that excessive. Duke makes some one-liners, there are occasional strippers, and that's really the extent of it. Duke 3D doesn't stop gameplay to go "hey look, oral sex! That's an edgy thing you'd only see in a MAN'S game like Duke!" or have poop-tossing mechanics, or "slap-the-stripper" multiplayer modes.

It's like going from the original Leisure Suit Larry (or even Love For Sail) right to Box Office Bust, or from any given classic Simpsons episode to Family Guy's manatee "joke."
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
1 year ago#27
nickizgr8 posted...
There was one point where Duke said something like *Jumping puzzles, I don't do jumping puzzles" then he proceeds to do said puzzle. If you're going to make him say something let use blow up the jumping puzzle have a Jetpack in a glass container we can break and skip it or something.

Also that little comment about Power Armor. He makes a reference to master chiefs armor, and says something like... well look at the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIbXNNz-JME

Yet the entire game you have this EGO shield and increase it over the game. The difference? There is none.

The angryjoe review is fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJ4BiIEhAo
---
- My vision is augmented
1 year ago#28
The tiresome struggle where people tell me that I'm supposed to embrace selfies and Facebook over badass shootouts in movies.
---
A true cinematic 24 fps experience
1 year ago#29
DiviDude posted...

Meh.

Why is it whenever people make sweeping generalizations of the board they reside in it always precedes a mind-numbingly stupid statement? I'm sure there's a connection but I'm not clever enough to make it.

As a general rule, entries in a series that take a step or twelve back in game design from their predecessors tend to be poorly received, especially if it has been anticipated for more than a decade. The whole process of being kicked in the testicles by game devs becomes even more frustrating when certain users dig in their heals and insist the dirt clod the developers just dropped on our plates is actually just a slightly unpolished diamond.
---
Scientifically proven.
1 year ago#30
SpazH3d posted...
Also that little comment about Power Armor. He makes a reference to master chiefs armor, and says something like... well look at the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIbXNNz-JME

Yet the entire game you have this EGO shield and increase it over the game. The difference? There is none.

haha, I forgot about that. I remember thinking, "...and yet, I have regen health and halo's 2-weapon system". It's like all the jokes (jumping puzzles, the halo armor) were like, "duke is cooler than those other games!" and then made you play it the same way.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why did Duke Nukem Forever bomb?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived