This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Duke Nukem Forever bomb?

#41GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 8:32:11 AM(edited)
Voxwik posted...
I particularly remember quite a few people bringing up a level that rewarded killing a bunch of women who would spawn enemies if you let them live. DN3D had a few disturbing trapped women but nothing on the level as what was described as being in this game. Basically it took it to the extreme that it was no longer funny and at times outright disturbing... which is not a recipe for success.

I would agree with you except for this. I hate it when people use this for an argument. Duke had to mercy kill them in Duke 3D as well. There were a few in every level and mercy killing the babes gave you bonus points. It's no different in Forever, except the graphics make it more realistic-looking. The same idea applies in both games. It's no different than the many alien movies out there that did the same thing with chest burster properties.

But yeah, the humor is a lot more crude for the sake of being crude. Instead of Duke being a combo of action heroes from the late 80's and early 90's, the game went in a much more crude direction humor-wise.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#42Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 8/3/2014 8:37:49 AM(edited)
Goldninja posted...
Voxwik posted...
I particularly remember quite a few people bringing up a level that rewarded killing a bunch of women who would spawn enemies if you let them live. DN3D had a few disturbing trapped women but nothing on the level as what was described as being in this game. Basically it took it to the extreme that it was no longer funny and at times outright disturbing... which is not a recipe for success.

I would agree with you except for this. I hate it when people use this for an argument. Duke had to mercy kill them in Duke 3D as well. There were a few in every level and mercy killing the babes gave you bonus points. It's no different in Forever, except the graphics make it more realistic-looking. The same idea applies in both games. It's no different than the many alien movies out there that did the same thing with chest burster properties.

No way. The way it was portrayed in DNF was far more offensive. Especially the string of rape jokes in the hive. A good example is when duke comes across the twins who had been impregnated and says, "Heh, looks like you're ****ed" and then she says that she promises to lose the weight.

That's pretty damn disgusting and DN3D didn't have anything on that level. Mercy killing isn't the issue, it's having Duke cracking rape jokes as he does so.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#43GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 8:47:23 AM(edited)
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Goldninja posted...
Voxwik posted...

No way. The way it was portrayed in DNF was far more offensive. Especially the string of rape jokes in the hive. A good example is when duke comes across the twins who had been impregnated and says, "Heh, looks like you're ****ed" and then she says that she promises to lose the weight.

That's pretty damn disgusting and DN3D didn't have anything on that level. Mercy killing isn't the issue, it's having Duke cracking rape jokes as he does so.

People need to stop comparing fictional alien insemination to real life rape. It's crude humor that really shouldn't have been there, but it's not really offensive in that way. Like I said, it's something that movies have been doing for some time. I don't see why that's such a big deal in a video game. After the twins, Duke basically apologizes to the babes he had to kill in that very same area.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#44JKatarnPosted 8/3/2014 8:54:41 AM
"Feature creep" on an extreme scale....as newer games/engines were released George Broussard kept wanting to add feature "X, Y and Z" to the game which spiraled out of control as the game was scrapped and restarted numerous times (which involved throwing out assets) as he chased the newest technology). Had he made the most of the technology he had, we would have likely had 2/3 solid/very good Duke Nukem games at this point and 3D Realms wouldn't be in the sad state it is. Not only was it disappointing to fans, but devastating to the artists, programmers, sound designers etc. that spent many years on the project to ultimately be let go.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#45JKatarnPosted 8/3/2014 9:01:47 AM
samuraigaiden posted...
Duke Nukem as a character was always terrible, a poorly written mish mash of 80s movies one-liners and dumb ass attitude. 90% of what he says in Duke Nukem 3D was ripped off from somewhere else without giving proper credit (and probably would be considered plagiarism nowadays, but at the time games got a pass for being irrelevant).

Duke Nukem's only relevant moment was in the original DOS platformer when he said this:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/1337W422102/Kitty/Article2/duke1_-_oprah.png

You do realize that was the whole point of the character, right? He was intentionally written to be a caricature of 80's/90's movie heroes (which is part of the reason he quotes "Ash" from "Army of Darkness"). At the time of release, playing a character that was vocal and had personality vs. the mute soldiers/space marines of past games was very novel.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#46ShadowThaReaperPosted 8/3/2014 9:30:40 AM

Maybe you should get the hell over it.
#47Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 8/3/2014 9:40:42 AM(edited)
ShadowThaReaper posted...

lol. We're talking about reasons the game was poorly received and this was one that a lot of reviewers and people had issue with. I'm not losing sleep over DNF, but people found it tasteless and it's worth bringing up. Why act like it's a personal crusade in bringing up a thing critics were really harsh on in a topic about why DNF bombed? It was stupid of them because more people probably found it offensive or tasteless than funny.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#48Nineteen99Posted 8/3/2014 9:41:23 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...

lol. We're talking about reasons the game was poorly received and this was one that a lot of reviewers and people had issue with. I'm not losing sleep over DNF, but people found it tasteless and it's worth bringing up. Why act like it's a personal crusade in bringing up a thing critics were really harsh on in a topic about why DNF bombed? It was stupid of them because more people probably found it offensive or tasteless than funny.

Feminism isn't cool, bro.
---
"There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief."
#49VoxwikPosted 8/3/2014 10:45:51 AM
...err that's not feminism at all. It's merely bringing up reasons why the game was poorly received. Heck someone could have no problem with it and still bring it up, because it was in fact something people complained about. I understand some may have no problem with it, and it is just a game, but it crossed the line from wacky crude humor the first game had and made it disturbing for some people. Once that bubble of humor is broken it really damages the experience for the player. It's hardly the only reason the game was poorly received, but it certainly didn't help.
#50corex3dPosted 8/3/2014 11:30:49 AM
pretty sure they said it sold well it just failed in reviews besides I loved it could have been better sure but it was still awesome