This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Duke Nukem Forever bomb?

#51akuma634Posted 8/3/2014 11:40:12 AM
The 2001 E3 trailer was the best the game ever looked. It's too bad that 3D Realms didn't have the time or resources to ever get the game ready to release, it always got to a point where they had to scrap everything and start over from scratch. With Gearbox, they invested a lot of money in the game, only to end up with a lackluster product, by that point it would be way too expensive to scrap that and start over, they had to finish it, and release it in hopes of a profit.

The game felt like such a mess, it felt so soulless. After Duke is throwing poop around, the game goes downhill from there. It's Duke bending over for every bad thing about modern shooters like long boring turret sections, 2 gun limit, generic weapons, stupid minigames, bad driving sections, and so on. On the flip side there's Serious Sam 3 where they did it everything right, it took the best things about old school shooters, but it got rid of all the filler and then it took what works about modern shooters while getting rid of what isn't necessary.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#52Cloud712Posted 8/3/2014 11:45:45 AM
I always figured it was going to bomb regardless of the quality of game because they've jerked gamers around for too long with it and the franchise. It was in development for way too long, broke too many promises, and waited while Duke more or less had faded from his appeal high-point.
#53GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 2:25:04 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Maybe you should get the hell over it.

lol. We're talking about reasons the game was poorly received and this was one that a lot of reviewers and people had issue with. I'm not losing sleep over DNF, but people found it tasteless and it's worth bringing up. Why act like it's a personal crusade in bringing up a thing critics were really harsh on in a topic about why DNF bombed? It was stupid of them because more people probably found it offensive or tasteless than funny.

I agree that the jokes were tasteless and really shouldn't have been in the game, but when reviewers and such mention it as a point of why the game is bad and then ignore the plethora of other problems, it just irks me. It's nothing movies haven't done and Duke is all about satire of movies anyway.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#54Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 8/3/2014 2:43:44 PM
Goldninja posted...
I agree that the jokes were tasteless and really shouldn't have been in the game, but when reviewers and such mention it as a point of why the game is bad and then ignore the plethora of other problems, it just irks me. It's nothing movies haven't done and Duke is all about satire of movies anyway.

I don't think many reviews did ignore the plethora of other problems. In fact, most reviews are just a laundry list of all the game's terrible design choices.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#55IntegnosPosted 8/3/2014 3:01:47 PM
ace_two_max posted...
+ Gearbox sucks.

This.

Borderlands would've bombed as badly as their other games if it wasn't for its quasi-gambling mechanic and the Xbox fanbase. Any generic shooter would've done well on that console. Throw in a mechanic that makes people addicted and you've got yourselves a "masterpiece".
#56kingoffpsPosted 8/3/2014 3:15:16 PM
Gearbox made the Half-Life expansions, which were amazing games. I don't think I can name anything recent of theirs off the top of my head that I've played. So wait, they suck now?

Next you'll be telling me Bullfrog Productions and Raven Software suck.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#57SpazH3dPosted 8/3/2014 3:40:15 PM
kingoffps posted...
Gearbox made the Half-Life expansions, which were amazing games. I don't think I can name anything recent of theirs off the top of my head that I've played. So wait, they suck now?

Next you'll be telling me Bullfrog Productions and Raven Software suck.

They are complete liars and that doesn't make up for the past. Look up the controversy of aliens colonial marines.
---
- My vision is augmented
#58MyzeryPosted 8/3/2014 3:41:28 PM
Goldninja posted...
I would agree with you except for this. I hate it when people use this for an argument. Duke had to mercy kill them in Duke 3D as well. There were a few in every level and mercy killing the babes gave you bonus points.

false. duke 3d didn't have a scoring system of any kind, and any time you killed a woman, monsters spawned.
---
If you kill a man, you're a murderer. If you kill many, you're a conqueror. If you kill them all, you're a god.
#59GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 3:55:23 PM
Myzery posted...
Goldninja posted...
I would agree with you except for this. I hate it when people use this for an argument. Duke had to mercy kill them in Duke 3D as well. There were a few in every level and mercy killing the babes gave you bonus points.

false. duke 3d didn't have a scoring system of any kind, and any time you killed a woman, monsters spawned.

Pretty sure at the end of the level, it tallied the secrets and the women you found. Or maybe that was Duke 64. I don't remember. In any case, mercy killing them is a good thing, unless you want them to suffer.
---
#60GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 3:56:13 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Goldninja posted...

I don't think many reviews did ignore the plethora of other problems. In fact, most reviews are just a laundry list of all the game's terrible design choices.

Not reviewers per se, but a lot of people in general. I don't know what I'm saying anymore. lol
---