This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Morrowind Mods: Where to download, and what are the most recommended?

#11CatToyPosted 8/3/2014 1:54:45 PM
Hitman_67 posted...
Well guess ill try it and revert to old if I don't like it. I do get there's a special artistic design to the world though. Just wish my guy didnt look like stacked Legos.

That would be Better Bodies and Better Heads.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#12dekouPosted 8/3/2014 2:35:14 PM
Having played Morrowind both unmodded and with the Overhaul, I don't think the style changes between the two. Obviously overhauled Morrowind doesn't have the rather awful draw distance of the original, but I don't think it was a stylistic touch. Anyway, I don't miss it.

I'll second Galsiah's character development mod. It makes MW's leveling more organic. I do not recommend the mods that make you hit 100% of the time, unless you can find one that also alters weapon damage appropriately.
---
Intel Pentium II OC @ 450 MHz | 128 Mb RAM | Falcon Northwest Special Edition Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 SE | 2x 4 Gb Seagate HDD
#13AsellusPosted 8/3/2014 3:23:38 PM
PoorCountry posted...
I recommend not using any graphic mods. They don't improve things; they change them. Some of the character of Morrowind is lost in the
switch to an obviously unprofessional and generic idea of good graphics, in which the distinction between art style and graphic fidelity is never made.

Eh, I don't really think it tries to make Morrowind anything it isn't. Textures look better, things are a bit less blocky, you can see much farther, and it gives the game native support for 16:9 resolutions. Ie same game, just better.
#14PoorCountryPosted 8/3/2014 5:25:06 PM
Asellus posted...
PoorCountry posted...
I recommend not using any graphic mods. They don't improve things; they change them. Some of the character of Morrowind is lost in the
switch to an obviously unprofessional and generic idea of good graphics, in which the distinction between art style and graphic fidelity is never made.

Eh, I don't really think it tries to make Morrowind anything it isn't. Textures look better, things are a bit less blocky, you can see much farther, and it gives the game native support for 16:9 resolutions. Ie same game, just better.

You seem obsessed with graphic quality. Your post reads like, "graphic quality's better, so everything's all right."

Here's a comparison:
http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/topten/betterheads-banner.jpg

Doesn't change the art style? This guy's head is almost completely different. Instead of having an eye as red as lava, and a huge scar running prominently over the right half of his face, he gets a boring normal eye, and a thin, wimpy scar, along with some new pointless nose piercings that don't do anything for the design. Also, his expression is different. He no longer has the wild yet empty gaze of a lowborn man, intensified by a life of hardship and hostility. He just has a generic, "guy who's been through stuff" look.

Everybody else in the world is recreated with the same artistically-void decision of, "let's make everyone attractive", which you usually see in mods because few people are creative enough to come up with something interesting. I tried a bunch of different head mods -- they all did the same thing, and it made the world feel shallow and uninspired. Everywhere I looked, I saw the dull creativity of people who just want to project themselves onto good-looking fantasy characters manifest.
#15AsellusPosted 8/3/2014 5:41:31 PM
Meh, well honestly I kind of agree on the tendency of such mods to skew towards people being monotonously overly attractive. Even still though if it bothers you that much you can disable the individual components on a one-by-one basis and it's more than made up for in touches like "being able to hear the weather going on outside when you're in a building", being able to run at your native resolution, let alone bug fixes like "Not falling through the ground all time" and actual improvements to the game like being able to cast spells offhanded.
#16wizardmonPosted 8/3/2014 5:42:37 PM(edited)
FYI, you can install the MGO without changing textures and whatnot just turning on the lighting/water/shaders effects.

Personally, I don't think those extra effects "change the style" of the game or ruin the experience at all.

I've played Morrowind for thousands of hours without MGO and only a few hundred with it, and I'd suggest getting it. When installing it just uncheck anything which changes the textures/models of the game (and ensure that you turn off the replacement sound effects!)
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#17Hitman_67(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 5:44:52 PM
Maybe I'll just get some mods that add houses and stuff, and play it like it should be played. Someone did mention more "organic leveling" not sure what that meant.
---
Founder of Phantom Ops (Wargames) Venchel Crime Family (GTAV)
GT: Lord Takahashi - Blops/HC-FFA best player
#18CatToyPosted 8/3/2014 6:35:41 PM
Hitman_67 posted...
Someone did mention more "organic leveling" not sure what that meant.

I provided you with the information. It's up to you to make use of it.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#19HighOnPhazonPosted 8/3/2014 8:01:10 PM
There aren't enough mods on the internet to make Morrowind enjoyable.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#20Hitman_67(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 10:13:57 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
There aren't enough mods on the internet to make Morrowind enjoyable.

Then play Skyrim but I want to play MW.
---
Founder of Phantom Ops (Wargames) Venchel Crime Family (GTAV)
GT: Lord Takahashi - Blops/HC-FFA best player