This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this gaming laptop worth $1,299.99?

#11ThePaleRiderpPosted 8/3/2014 9:59:38 AM
Goldninja posted...
DRzCalderon posted...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5827044.p?id=1219163973191&skuId=5827044&st=asus%20gaming%20laptop&cp=1&lp=4

I've decided that for this gen my primary console for gaming is going to be PC. But what I want to know if this computer is worth the price for it to run current games at ultra settings with a breeze. Just really want to know if it's worth dropping that amount. And if it's not worth it what would you recommend?

Oh And the reason why I want a laptop is due to flexibility. I know that some would probably recommend a desktop but I want to be portable.

The problem with a gaming laptop is that they're expensive and you can't upgrade. Once you hit a wall, that's it. There's no going over it. You either deal with it or get a new laptop. If you're fine with that, make sure you get one that will last you. Unfortunately, I just can't see much longevity in that model. An 860m? If it's anything like the desktop x6x cards, then no, it probably won't run everything on Ultra with a breeze, at least not everything that will be coming out within the next year or so.

Well some are upgradeable in the sense you can switch out graphics cards and such but other than that you're right.
---
Valar morghulis
#12LoshadtPosted 8/3/2014 10:03:20 AM
I didn't even need to see the laptop to know it was not worth it. If you need portability get a small netbook or tablet, if you want to play video games get a desktop. For the price of a "gaming" laptop you could actually afford both a decent netbook AND a really good desktop.
---
Scientifically proven.
#13GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 10:34:36 AM(edited)
ThePaleRiderp posted...
Goldninja posted...
DRzCalderon posted...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5827044.p?id=1219163973191&skuId=5827044&st=asus%20gaming%20laptop&cp=1&lp=4

I've decided that for this gen my primary console for gaming is going to be PC. But what I want to know if this computer is worth the price for it to run current games at ultra settings with a breeze. Just really want to know if it's worth dropping that amount. And if it's not worth it what would you recommend?

Oh And the reason why I want a laptop is due to flexibility. I know that some would probably recommend a desktop but I want to be portable.

The problem with a gaming laptop is that they're expensive and you can't upgrade. Once you hit a wall, that's it. There's no going over it. You either deal with it or get a new laptop. If you're fine with that, make sure you get one that will last you. Unfortunately, I just can't see much longevity in that model. An 860m? If it's anything like the desktop x6x cards, then no, it probably won't run everything on Ultra with a breeze, at least not everything that will be coming out within the next year or so.

Well some are upgradeable in the sense you can switch out graphics cards and such but other than that you're right.

I don't know if things have changed, but when I had one, mobile GPUs were insanely expensive and upgrade paths were extremely limited.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#14PhilOnDezPosted 8/3/2014 1:05:33 PM
Hookups posted...
PhilOnDez posted...
17" also isn't portable in the least. I have a comparably sized laptop and I pretty much never move it because it's a pain to do.

There are much bigger issues at hand if you think a 17" laptop is not portable. I'm concerned for your health.

It's not an issue of weight, I can throw bales of hay on a trailer all day, it's a matter of it being 2" thick, over a foot wide, and nearly a foot deep plus a massive power brick. I also have a 9 cell battery which adds a bit of extra life and lifts the back end up (that's the more important part since it gives extra airflow to the bottom facing vents) but adds another inch of thickness on the back side.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#15GameMan987Posted 8/3/2014 1:42:30 PM
In my opinion, unless you're constantly flying from place to place then there's no real need for portability.

Got a laptop for college before my desktop thinking I would take it to class. Ended up with an overpriced paper weight when I realized pencil and paper are better for notes.
#16DRzCalderon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 5:36:06 PM
Well I actually feel overwhelmed in regards against having a gaming laptop after reading the responses towards this post. It seems that it would make more sense to own a desktop instead of a gaming laptop.

I just really like having the option of being able to move around with my hobby but I do usually game at home. But regardless, I will be looking into purchasing a gaming laptop in the furure after I build a desktop.

I work at Best Buy and having that laptop just stare at me when I pass by it is an incredible tease. But a desktop it is.
---
It's very strange when the life you never had flashes before your eyes. -Mental Imagery.