This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When you hear the word "raid" in terms of an online game, what do you imagine?

#11VoxwikPosted 8/3/2014 6:44:47 AM
I'm going to guess that most non-MMORPG players have no idea all "raid" means is a mission/boss with a large number of players and almost always never means the literal definition of a raid.

I've been raiding in Everquest for ten years now and been leading them for around eight and whenever someone asks me what we do I always describe them as "events with a large number of players, currently 54 and formerly 72+. These events are called raids but are more highly multiplayer missions."
#12FalxXDPosted 8/3/2014 7:17:39 AM
LEEEEROOY JENKINS!!!!!!
---
I was modded once for saying please understand, when I challenged it the mod said please understand.
#13samuraigaidenPosted 8/3/2014 7:18:01 AM
River Raid was an awesome game. An online co-op version would be amazing!
#14Ran_Ao_LiPosted 8/3/2014 7:22:47 AM
Gary's Mod DarkRP base raiding. Time to sit in a dark corner with my shotgun and wait for the cracking to begin...
---
"Segaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" - Sega Genesis
#15dementedlullabyPosted 8/3/2014 7:23:31 AM
10+25 is the perfect number imo.

Fewer than 10? Not epic. More than 25? Feels a little too zergy.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#16BrumakbbqPosted 8/3/2014 8:03:40 AM
Superlinkbros89 posted...
A bunch of nerds with too much time on their hands

Ironic.

I think of a large amount of people working together to take down something that could never be overcome alone or in small numbers. The term is mostly used and originates from mmo's so that's the main genre that comes to mind.
#17xanthan1Posted 8/3/2014 8:59:18 AM(edited)
10 or more people tackling a single dungeon or possibly a large world event or boss. Just generally more people then you normally see grouped up.
Generally instanced so people not part of the group can't see.
Almost always has gimmicks or enemy abilities involved that require people be coordinated in ways beyond what is normally expected.
Sometimes takes the form of a harder version of a normal dungeon, hence the higher skill level needed and additional players.
#18Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 8/3/2014 8:20:28 AM(edited)
My image of it is still the 70 man raids of EQ, but realistically it's more like 10-25 these days in most games. Basically any multi-group encounter.

Alt answer: Kitten-herding where half the cats insist on standing in fire.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#19GoldninjaPosted 8/3/2014 8:29:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#20ZarethPosted 8/3/2014 8:30:22 AM
Superlinkbros89 posted...
A bunch of nerds with too much time on their hands

---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png