This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I take the time to learn WASD instead of ESDF?

#11Doomsday FortePosted 8/3/2014 7:55:52 AM
I use ESDF after using WASD for years. Sure, you have to rebind for damn near every game out there, but that's the price you pay. And in the event you can't rebind, there's AutoHotKey's script function that replaces keystrokes with whatever you define.

I just go ESDF so I can free up a few more buttons is all. I typed fine with WASD but whatever.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#12arleasPosted 8/3/2014 7:56:46 AM
what is there to learn? You take your EDSF and shift one space to the left. OMG REVOLUTIONARY!

Same thing for people who struggle with the concept of EDSF except you shift one space to the right.

It's not rocket science.

The only reason why I opt for EDSF is because my hand gravitates to that spot when I first put my hand on the keyboard and so when I have to remove my hand and then put it back that means less time lost fumbling for the right keys (and admittedly, the time lost is like 1 second at most).

For those games where rebinding to EDSF isn't an option for some stupid reason, I just move my hand to the left.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#13kelemvorPosted 8/3/2014 8:29:16 AM
SpazH3d posted...
kelemvor posted...
I use a AEDF

Wow, that is the most uncomfortable way to play games I've seen in months. What the ef, mate. Do you have a pinky that is as long as your middle finger? Seriously, there is huge gap between your fingers. I CANNOT COMPREHEND THIS.

Huge gap? Put your left hand on the home row. Your whole hand is on ASDF. Leave it there. Use your middle finger to use E and D. It's just like the TC's method except the ring finger (weakest/slowest) isn't used for movement.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#14LordSeiferPosted 8/3/2014 8:30:15 AM
I reckon my ring finger is strong than my pinky
---
^ this
#15k debonairPosted 8/3/2014 8:33:12 AM
As a lefty, I don't see how this is an issue.

For me, the first thing I do in a game is remap the keys to the numberpad. Thus, all of my games have the same controls and I don't have to re-learn anything.

Wouldn't right-handers do the same thing, but just on a different set of keys?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#16SpazH3dPosted 8/3/2014 8:36:46 AM
kelemvor posted...
SpazH3d posted...
kelemvor posted...
I use a AEDF

Wow, that is the most uncomfortable way to play games I've seen in months. What the ef, mate. Do you have a pinky that is as long as your middle finger? Seriously, there is huge gap between your fingers. I CANNOT COMPREHEND THIS.

Huge gap? Put your left hand on the home row. Your whole hand is on ASDF. Leave it there. Use your middle finger to use E and D. It's just like the TC's method except the ring finger (weakest/slowest) isn't used for movement.

Nope, it doesn't work. The pinky finger is puny and small compared to the others. I don't really see how that setup could possibly be intuitive. And I hope you aren't swifting your fingers in games. They should be at the same spots while playing.

And the home row? You mean the row with the number keys? http://www.ceratech.co.uk/product_images/language/lrg/KYBAC260-USBBLKUS-american.jpg
---
- My vision is augmented
#17wildog2006Posted 8/3/2014 8:44:33 AM
SpazH3d posted...
I hope you aren't swifting your fingers in games. They should be at the same spots while playing.

And the home row? You mean the row with the number keys?

You only use 5 keys on the keyboard?
And you obviously don't know what the home row is on a keyboard. http://bit.ly/1pQkZRH
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#18SpazH3dPosted 8/3/2014 8:47:16 AM
Oh hell I give up, play and type however you prefer it. Okay I do use more than 5 keys, but... yes.

Yes I don't know what the home row is. YOU GUYS WIN! Take a piece of cake and celebrate.
---
- My vision is augmented
#19kelemvorPosted 8/3/2014 9:47:01 AM
SpazH3d posted...
Oh hell I give up, play and type however you prefer it. Okay I do use more than 5 keys, but... yes.

Yes I don't know what the home row is. YOU GUYS WIN! Take a piece of cake and celebrate.

No problem. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my style :). I just don't like to bunch up my fingers on one side. I started my fingering when I was playing Half Life 1 deathmatch on my dial-up modem around 15 years ago.

The pinkie finger isn't the strongest, but it has the most leverage since it's shorter. It's also connected to the biggest mussle in the hand.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_strongest_finger_in_a_human_hand
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#20HighOnPhazonPosted 8/3/2014 12:16:45 PM
kelemvor posted...
Keep what works for you. I use a AEDF, which is very similar but spread out so my pinky and pointer fingers do the strafing. Once you get used to my method, you won't ever go back to the inferior WASD and it's variants. Not only is your hand completely on the home row, but because your hand is spread over 4 keys you have more keys in reach to bind for other things. I bind "S" to open doors or activate item and my ring finger just sits on top of it.

I respect everyone's control scheme, but a HUGE pet peave of mine is games where you can't set any key bindings at all. Like the Starbound developers thinking everyone in the world used WASD and didn't bother to let the user change anything. I'ts probably fixed now but the Starbound ship has sailed for me.

This is so stupid it hurts
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650