This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice for a potential build

#1Suns1344Posted 8/3/2014 9:04:12 AM
I've decided to put together a build for my dorm room. Basically I'll be using it for light gaming, music, movies, etc. I need basically everything. It's been a couple of years since I last put together a build so I'm not too familiar with current parts. I put together this list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DJsyt6

Ideally I'd like to get it below $1000 for everything, including the speakers/TV tuner I added in as custom parts. Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.
#2Suns1344(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 3:16:21 PM
Bump as I've decided to go mini-ITX. New link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7yZgFT
Probably can't get it below $1000, just looking for feedback.
#3PhilOnDezPosted 8/3/2014 3:43:24 PM(edited)
I'd drop the cooler and just use the stock one personally. If you know someone who built an i5/i7 system recently see if they have their factory cooler as it will have a copper core over the solid aluminum of the one that ships with their dual cores.

If you want itx for the size be warned that that case is massive. I'd much sooner recommend something from Silverstone's Sugo line over it, and they tend to include high quality PSUs. You can buy then without a PSU but most of them use an SFX PSU which is much smaller than ATX so you may as well buy the kit unless you want to pay a bit extra for the gold rated modular model over a bronze nonmodular.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4fataliPosted 8/3/2014 3:45:26 PM
Do you already have a gaming PC? Could something like Nvidia Shield maybe work for you, instead of a whole PC?
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#5Suns1344(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 4:22:04 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
I'd drop the cooler and just use the stock one personally. If you know someone who built an i5/i7 system recently see if they have their factory cooler as it will have a copper core over the solid aluminum of the one that ships with their dual cores.

If you want itx for the size be warned that that case is massive. I'd much sooner recommend something from Silverstone's Sugo line over it, and they tend to include high quality PSUs. You can buy then without a PSU but most of them use an SFX PSU which is much smaller than ATX so you may as well buy the kit unless you want to pay a bit extra for the gold rated modular model over a bronze nonmodular.

I was debating whether or not to use the stock cooler, thanks for the tip about the difference between the i3/i5 and i7 heatsinks. I might have a spare one lying around somewhere. I checked into the Sugo line, and while I'd save a few dollars on the case/PSU, I wasn't a fan of the increased price for a slim Bluray drive plus the more cramped layout. I'll look at a few more cases and evaluate the benefits and tradeoffs. Thanks for your advice.

fatali posted...
Do you already have a gaming PC? Could something like Nvidia Shield maybe work for you, instead of a whole PC?

I have a loud, power hogging behemoth, but for practicality reasons I'm leaving it at home. I was looking for a PC for some gaming/lossless music/Bluray purposes while I'm away and for a family HTPC while I'm home. So the Shield probably wouldn't be a good fit. Thank you for your input though.