This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building My First Computer - Pleas Help

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building My First Computer - Pleas Help
11 months ago#1
Greetings all. I'm building my first PC. I'm going for a gaming focus. I was wondering if this was a good build or if I had anything I didn't really need. Thank you for any help.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TigerSouls/saved/XqYQzy
---
"If you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss stares back at you."
11 months ago#2
Get a cheaper case, don't go wireless on kb/m unless you need to.
---
http://i.imgur.com/JLTktY1.png
11 months ago#3
Looks ok, but like the above guy said you can find a cheaper case and if I was going to build a desktop I wouldn't go wireless with the mouse and keyboard. That's your choice though. You could save a couple bucks by cutting some corners in all these areas.
11 months ago#4
Thank you both. I've read really good reviews for that case; you don't think I should get it? I figured it would allow me to add more to it in the future if I wanted to.
---
11 months ago#5
Can anyone else give me any tips or suggestions regarding this setup? It'd be appreciated.
---
11 months ago#6
Well I am not an expert on anything computer related but I would at least get the r9 270x (same as I got) which is like 20$ more.
Save at least 50$ on the case EASILY by finding something else (I got a 49$ "tool less" case with hot swap ssd drives on the front and front mount usb 3.0 with 2 120 fans and plenty of room for a radiator) and that wasn't even on sale. (bonus the front molding looks like the transformer logo) and use that money to get a good set of fans and a Hyper 212 aftermarket CPU cooler.

DITCH THE WIRELESS! I mean that's 140$ for m&k. If you NEED wireless then you are sacrificing quality anyway. I got a wireless m&k at costco for 39 (same one at bestbuy for 80) but I did so with the knowledge that they are not going to give me the precision needed no matter what.

Your PSU is a bit of overkill at 600w but for that price it's a good buy.

My system I built uses an FX-8320 and a M5A97 RE mobo with the R9 270x GPU and it works great so far. I was able to OC my CPU to 4.2 so far and it is quite stable and I only have a 550W psu (I'll OC more later but for now I just wanted to see how to do it) .

Since $$ doesn't seem to be THAT much of an issue with you I HIGHLY recommend putting in a 120 GB SSD as the speed difference is quite noticeable and getting a decent WIRED m&k or a budget wireless m&k depending on what you need.
---
DO NOT BE ASHAMED FOR PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
Embrace the experience and share it with everyone you can.
11 months ago#7
Thank you very much, almightydun, for that informative, detailed post! I have a few questions/comments.
Doesn't OC create more heat and can possibly damage parts? Do you think that's worth doing currently since I'm basically a layman? And the wireless mouse I selected can also be wired if I need more stability; I don't know about the keyboard, but what issues can arise from it being wireless?
Thank you for your time.
---
11 months ago#8
TIGER234 posted...
Thank you very much, almightydun, for that informative, detailed post! I have a few questions/comments.
Doesn't OC create more heat and can possibly damage parts? Do you think that's worth doing currently since I'm basically a layman? And the wireless mouse I selected can also be wired if I need more stability; I don't know about the keyboard, but what issues can arise from it being wireless?
Thank you for your time.

yes the OC will cause the life expectancy of your CPU to decrease but if not TOO overboard your CPU will be long obsolete prior to it crapping out. An alternative route a lot of people take is they use the standard clock for a while until comp gets slow, THEN they OC the system to lengthen the life of their build. But if you get a good CPU cooler and 5 case fans / watercooling heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

About the m&k yea the wirewless k prbly won't matter too much but really unless you are getting a mechanical keyboard you won't notice too much of a difference in performance either way. However for a sort of "combo" system you could get a wireless board with a track pad for lounging on the couch watching netflix and browsing. and a good wired mouse for the desk.

But too much emphasis is placed on either or. The real answer is to go out, find something you are PHYSICALLY comfortable using and then buy that. All the performance in the world matters not when you have carpel tunnel.
---
11 months ago#9
OH BTW I am a layman like yourself. I never played PC or built anything prior to a month ago. I just decided to buy a new computer, realised they were too damn xpnsve and hit up google and researched what to do. In about 5 days I had a part list and price matched like 10 website prices and bought all the stuff from one place and had them match them.

Only took me like 3-4 hours to put it together and barring connecting the damn power button wrong, (which it apparantly a really common thing) it went perfectly. Hell the only vid I watched was one on how to put thermal paste on.

Layman or no that mobo cpu and gpu are great for a reasonable priced build and you will throw it together real easily.
---
11 months ago#10
I revised your build. Its A LOT more powerful than your previous one. Oh and its also cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CnfYmG
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building My First Computer - Pleas Help

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived