This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I remove the GPU from this build and still have a usable computer?

#1TitanStrikePosted 8/3/2014 12:23:33 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8DqxRB

I'll get it later, but as I mainly play TF2, it's not super super super important I get anything. I will probably get it sometime in October. Can it hold me over until then/will it work at all w/o it?
---
oxxxx|==============> || halomonkey1_3_5 (El Pika) said... exec poop
MC, Steam ID, most other IGN's: KITTYONFYRE
#2mccue166Posted 8/3/2014 12:24:35 PM
Depends on your processor and motherboard.
---
4770k@4.5, Hyper 212 EVO, 16gb 2133 Corsair Dominator, EVGA 780 FTW, 250gb EVO, 4tb Western Digital Red, Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force, H440 Black/Green SE, AX860
#3PhilOnDezPosted 8/3/2014 12:32:11 PM
Is that $105 mobo/CPU that 3258/b85 combo deal on newegg?

If so, yes. Be warned that the pentium and celeron series CPUs have much weaker IGPs than the Core i-series parts do. They just have an unspecified 'Intel HD' graphics core vs the HDXXXX that the Core i-series utilizes.

I don't know how well it will handle TF2 but it will most certainly handle everyday tasks including streaming HD video, though unless you enable hardware acceleration the CPU does most of the work on that anyway.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4TitanStrike(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 1:50:18 PM
mccue166 posted...
Depends on your processor and motherboard.

u kidin me m8
PhilOnDez posted...
Is that $105 mobo/CPU that 3258/b85 combo deal on newegg?

I have no idea honestly. Bowsaa set it up for me and I don't know where he got the parts.

Pretty sure you posted in his topic actually.
---
#5MrLostPosted 8/3/2014 2:12:17 PM
Yes, it's the B85/3258 combo deal. The custom entry includes a source link which takes you to that page.
---
R.I.P. George Carlin (May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008)
The greatest comedian to ever grace the stage.
#6TitanStrike(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 2:30:55 PM
Damn, they're out of stock.

Does Newegg usually get stuff back relatively quickly?
---
#7TitanStrike(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 4:55:32 PM
Slightly unrelated - I bought an asus laptop with windows 7. How/can I get the copy off of this onto my desktop? If it matters I am going to be putting the HDD from my laptop into my desktop.
---
#8PhilOnDezPosted 8/3/2014 5:01:08 PM
Might work immediately, might not. If not you'll need to call windows and get them to reactivate the license. I've never done it myself so I can't tell you the exact process, apparently it's automated now though.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9WygunPosted 8/3/2014 5:06:03 PM
Ive installed my laptops hd on my desktop before and worked instantly. You do need to install drivers for your network adapter, gpu , etc for them to work correctly but windows itself doesnt require anything.
#10TitanStrike(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 9:04:21 PM
Wygun posted...
Ive installed my laptops hd on my desktop before and worked instantly. You do need to install drivers for your network adapter, gpu , etc for them to work correctly but windows itself doesnt require anything.

perfect i hate talking to people over the phone
---