This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I remove the GPU from this build and still have a usable computer?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I remove the GPU from this build and still have a usable computer?
11 months ago#11
To clarify, it will probably work. You'll just get a 'windows is not registered/genuine' message that you'll need to take care of if you want to continue to receive security updates and automatic driver detection/installation.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
11 months ago#12
Wygun posted...
Ive installed my laptops hd on my desktop before and worked instantly. You do need to install drivers for your network adapter, gpu , etc for them to work correctly but windows itself doesnt require anything.

That setup is just asking for driver conflicts in the future. Always do a fresh install of Windows if you're performing a major hardware change (eg. motherboard).

Also it's very unlikely that your Windows install will remain activated after transferring it to your desktop as all laptop CD keys are tied to the original laptop's motherboard.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I remove the GPU from this build and still have a usable computer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived