This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't install windows on my SSD

#1loldartPosted 8/3/2014 1:53:04 PM
Hello everyone:
I recently got a ssd for my old laptop and want to give my laptop some new life.
When I tried to install windows it gives me an error saying "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information."
I know it can install on my desktop just not my laptop.
Is there a way I can get this setup log files as I am running this off the dvd. :/
Also I was able to boot off this ssd before hand so I am not sure what is wrong.
Any help would be great.

I was thinking of running the install off my desktop and finish the install on my laptop as an option.
---
God my grammer sucks some goes for my spelling
3ds FC 2836-0822-9564
#2k debonairPosted 8/3/2014 1:56:03 PM(edited)
did you format the drive and attempt to create a new partition?

if not, that's what you need to do.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#3loldart(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 2:23:00 PM
tried that and also it appears that it doesn't want to work on my desktop. did a different idea and ghost an old laptop drive and ghost it on to this one. Worked so far. Not sure why it doesn't like my intel SSD
---
God my grammer sucks some goes for my spelling
3ds FC 2836-0822-9564
#4R_Fated_CirclePosted 8/3/2014 3:29:23 PM
I actually have the same issue with one of my intel ssds, oddly enough i was able to install a fresh copy of xp on it but whenever i tried to reinstall windows 7 or 8 it'd just error out.
---
Where's your passion fight like you mean it! "Hilde - Soul Calibur V"
#5fataliPosted 8/3/2014 4:24:11 PM(edited)
If the SSD doesn't want to work with your laptop or with your desktop, I would think the SSD is faulty.

Unless both are very old and have an non compatible version of SATA.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6Black_King945Posted 8/3/2014 5:09:09 PM
We need more detail, what is the model of your laptop? What operating system are you trying to install?
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W