This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Brand new PC gamer with some questions. I kindly ask for some help :)

#1David_SrokaPosted 8/3/2014 1:16:53 PM
Hello, I have been out of the gaming loop since about 2001 during the PS2 days. (I know a long time). I am back to college in my 2 year of Computer Science so I invested in better laptop. It's Lenovo Y50 Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz Processor. 8 GB DDR3 RAM.
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 8 GB Solid-State Drive.

I enjoy programming and writing code in C++ and Java. BUT.... I want to game.

I want to game but, don't know where to start. Do people use controllers with PC games or do they use those fancy multi button mice? Also, the laptop does not come with a disk drive. Do people just download games online now rather than buying them physically? If so where is a good place to get game downloads? Do you recommend any games for a PC beginner? I do like role playing games.
Thank you and I apologize for my ignorance. 13 years away from gaming is quite a gap. Thanks for the help! Happy gaming!
Dave Sroka
#2Jprime666Posted 8/3/2014 1:23:05 PM
Steam is where you buy your games these days. It's pretty much all digital these days.
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#3Garage_ManPosted 8/3/2014 1:28:04 PM
Get steam and start there.

If you like controllers (I do) then pick yourself up a 360 or my new baby..the DS4. It works over bluetooth and just works.
#4Dark_SpiretPosted 8/3/2014 1:56:19 PM
majority of pc stuff now is digital anyway. if you want physical then it depends on the game, but you can usually find physical copies on amazon for the larger release stuff.

Steam is the major retailer, but you can also use sites like amazon, gamestop, gog.com(for older games), gamersgate, direct2drive, greenmadgaming, gamefly and various other sites to find pc games and between all of them you can almost always find a good deal.

when it comes to steam its got a lot of demos to try out as well as free 2 play stuff. also pay attention to the specials tab which shows most things on sale. also check out this site : http://steamdb.info/sales/ which has detailed listing for steam and places like slickdeals.com and cheapassgamer which have listing for other places.

controller wise you can use what ever you want, but the 360 pad is the most naturally supported. otherwise you may have to go through other programs to get working right like using motionjoy for DS3/4's. most games coming out now support controllers, but core pc exclusives may not. a gaming mouse is nice, but you dont generally need anything major. ones that have 2-4 extra side buttons are more than enough which usually cost around $30-50.

in terms of more note worthy recommendations, atleast for stuff from the past 8-9 years --
Xenonauts, Divinity Original Sin, Wildstar, Age of Wonders III, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Broken Age, The Stanley Parable, Papers, Please, Starcraft II, Antichamber, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Kentucky Route Zero,Torchlight 2, Tribes: Ascend, FTL: Faster Than Light, Orcs Must Die! 2,, Sins of a Solar Empire, Wargame European Escalation, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Legend of Grimrock, Crusader Kings II, Natural Selection 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Rift, Anno 2070, The Binding of Isaac, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War I and II, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Dawn of Discovery, The Witcher, Crysis Warhead, King's Bounty, Company of Heroes 1-2, GTR 2, Total War series, Neverwinter Nights 2(with expansions), Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends, Civilization 4 and 5, Guild Wars 1-2, SWAT 4, Age of Empires III, Dungeon Siege II, Ys Origin, Might & Magic Heroes VI, Sanctum, Hard Reset, Mount & Blade: Warband, ArmA 3, Men of War, League of Legends, Dota 2, Penumbra, Killing Floor, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mainly pc exclusives, but most stuff tends to be better on pc anyway so go nuts.
---
Currently playing: Divinity Original Sin - Divine Divinity - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
#5MahoganyTooth92Posted 8/3/2014 2:08:34 PM
Just use a keyboard+Mouse

PC games are basically all digital now. Nearly all of the games you'll buy a store will usually still require you to use a game client.

If you like Role-playing games, Skyrim's your thing, especially since it has mods, but I have no idea if your computer will run it.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#6AsellusPosted 8/3/2014 2:20:04 PM
David_Sroka posted...
I want to game but, don't know where to start. Do people use controllers with PC games or do they use those fancy multi button mice?

Either way. Most games will give you the option of whichever you prefer.

Also, the laptop does not come with a disk drive. Do people just download games online now rather than buying them physically? If so where is a good place to get game downloads?

The pc gaming market's primarily digital these days.
Steam's the largest outlet
http://store.steampowered.com/

You might also check the current Humble Bundle / Store outlet to see if they've got anything up that interests you.
https://www.humblebundle.com/

GoG specializes in older games, Amazon tends to be pretty aggressive with their sales too.
#7David_Sroka(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 10:00:59 PM
Wow, thinks everyone for the terrific help! Very detailed. This will help me a lot! Best wishes.
#8Ghost_TurtlePosted 8/3/2014 10:04:58 PM(edited)
Dark_Spiret posted...
Steam is the major retailer, but you can also use sites like amazon, gamestop, gog.com(for older games), gamersgate, direct2drive, greenmadgaming, gamefly and various other sites to find pc games and between all of them you can almost always find a good deal.

Off topic. Just wanted to say thanks lmao. Never heard of gamersgate. Went there, been wanting to play XCOM: EU and they had a sale. Registered and bought it.
---
If I had arms, I would try harder.
PSN: Kozmo14
#9Dark_SpiretPosted 8/3/2014 10:38:15 PM
i dont believe i forgot to mention humblebundle especially with it having one of the best packaged deals ever. yeesh.

TC, if you havnt yet, pick up the square enix bundle ASAP. its amazing.
---
Currently playing: Divinity Original Sin - Divine Divinity - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky